Iorfa......the new Carlton????

16 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Obviously I'm too young to remember Palmer but my impression is that he was a ball winner with his long legs making him good at getting a foot in which is where the iorfa comparison is drawn from.

Nowadays this position doesn't really exist as tackling is out of fashion, it's about blocking channels as a holding midfielder.

If he were around today they would probably want Palmer at CB. So moving Iorfa to midfield is a no go.

Being old enough to remember Charlton, we actually used him as a makeshift cb when needed. 

Leeds also played him there when they needed to. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

I'd play Paterson in midfield. He's been effective playing there for Cardiff. He has the physicality and work rate, that we lack without Luongo. 

but he has no defensive nous, which is apparently why he was switched from FB

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

but he has no defensive nous, which is apparently why he was switched from FB

Luongo is arguably better at going forward and he's more of a box to box midfielder than an orthordox defensive midfielder, yet he's by far our most effective player in the role. Paterson's best games for Cardiff were in midfield and in attack. He has some of the attributes needed to effectively play in midfield. He did well there at Cardiff. Warnock said most of his best games were in midfield or upfront. 

Iorfa is needed in defence to mop up with his pace. FDB doesn't seem ready and JP isn't good enough. We don't have any other suitable options.

I'd put Paterson in midfield for his physicality, tenacity and work rate. But we should have signed a defensive midfielder in the last window, likewise we should have signed a keeper, wing backs and suitably replaced Murphy and Fletcher.