Iorfa......the new Carlton????

I have thought this for a while now, how about trying Iorfa in a similar position as to where carlton used to play? he is athletic enough to get forward to help the strikers and also to track back and do his defensive duties, i just reckon he could be the energy in the midfield area that we are lacking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In football centre backs with the traits Iorfa has are very very rare.

Big, strong, athletic, rapid and young.

He's a potential multimillion pound defender in the making and if he played for Brentford would probably be getting eyed up for a huge move.

Sure he's still got to learn some things but that's what coaching is for. He is a rare asset and we need to play him alongside players like Flint so he can learn.

He could single handedly solve our finances in a year to 18 months.

Keep him at CB.

• Like 4

Iorfa is our best defender and the one with the biggest resale value, he's the one that mops up at the back with his pace. Luongo is our best defensive midfielder. Our weaknesses are exasperated by how we set up, which doesn't suit our squad and our ultra defensive style even at home. 

We should have brought in players to suit how we set up and it was a mistake not to have brought in another defensive midfielder.

Without bringing in another one in, I'd switch Paterson back into midfield, where he played at times for Cardiff. He could give us the physicality and work rate in midfield we lack without Luongo? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

Without bringing in another one in, I'd switch Paterson back into midfield, where he played at times for Cardiff. He could give us the physicality and work rate in midfield we lack without Luongo? 

I agree with this until Luongo comes back.

Get Penney in too.

Go out on the front foot.

• Like 2

Obviously I'm too young to remember Palmer but my impression is that he was a ball winner with his long legs making him good at getting a foot in which is where the iorfa comparison is drawn from.

Nowadays this position doesn't really exist as tackling is out of fashion, it's about blocking channels as a holding midfielder.

If he were around today they would probably want Palmer at CB. So moving Iorfa to midfield is a no go.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, edwinowl said:

We need somebody in the middle who has power strength and presence.  Said this in another thread. Don’t think big Dom is the man though. 

I'd play Paterson in midfield. He's been effective playing there for Cardiff. He has the physicality and work rate, that we lack without Luongo. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spiderman said:

I have thought this for a while now, how about trying Iorfa in a similar position as to where carlton used to play? he is athletic enough to get forward to help the strikers and also to track back and do his defensive duties, i just reckon he could be the energy in the midfield area that we are lacking.

Got to give it a go,problem is hesour best defender,in a shaky back 3..maybe palmer or Paterson in the middle for some strength

20 hours ago, spiderman said:

Said exactly the same the first time I saw him play. Dom would offer hundred time more in the middle compared to JP..... Mind you so would most players

• Like 1

I 'm wary whenever people talk about playing centre-halves in midfield. Van Aken? Iorfa?

It's not just about running around a lot and getting tackles in or being able to pass the ball 40 yards. So much of midfield play is about 'having eyes in the back of your head' - being able to think quickly enough about the right thing to do every time the ball is coming your way, the speed of thought to keep out of trouble and play the right pass. I don't think Iorfa or Van Aken have that kind of quick-thinking. Iorfa strikes me as being able to do obvious things really well (head it, kick it, block it) but not so good when he has to think about it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I 'm wary whenever people talk about playing centre-halves in midfield. Van Aken? Iorfa?

It's not just about running around a lot and getting tackles in or being able to pass the ball 40 yards. So much of midfield play is about 'having eyes in the back of your head' - being able to think quickly enough about the right thing to do every time the ball is coming your way, the speed of thought to keep out of trouble and play the right pass. I don't think Iorfa or Van Aken have that kind of quick-thinking. Iorfa strikes me as being able to do obvious things really well (head it, kick it, block it) but not so good when he has to think about it.

Iorfa makes a lot of mistakes but his pace gets him out of it..Borner justmakes slot of mistakes...