Which Strikers?

Just me that thinks Kachunga looks a very poor player? Imo a waste of a signing. As has been said above the lack of creativity in our team really doesn’t help our attackers, without Brown who will spend so much time out injured we have so little creativity. I guess on Wednesday we start Patterson and Windass up top. Still not convinced either of them are strikers though!

Edited by WalthamOwl

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just me that thinks Kachunga looks a very poor player? Imo a waste of a signing. As has been said above the lack of creativity in our team really doesn’t help our attackers, without Brown who will spend so much time out injured we have so little creativity. I guess on Wednesday we start Patterson and Windass up top. Still not convinced either of them are strikers though!

I could’ve told everyone that when we signed him. Absolutely gash. He will give 100% and will tow the line which are 2 pre-requisites that Garry requires but he’s completely talentless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Beattie not working his ‘magic’ with them is he. 

No he isn’t, but you have to have the raw ingredients. None of Windass, Kachunga or Paterson, have a strikers instincts. Marriott and Rhodes do, but possibly the Championship is a level too far for them now

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He looks a nothing player. 

To be fair he established himself as a decent hardworking winger at Town. Fans appreciated his effort.  But we don’t use wingers, so I didn’t understand this acquisition at all. Either get a striker or a WB, but we didnt need a winger.

One thing he really needs to cut out are stupid needless fouls. So frustrating.

Strikers thrive on chances and we simply do not create enough goal scoring opportunities.

The hatful of strikers we have are simply not prolific enough to get goals from the odd chance. 

Our style of play is not attacking enough. It’s ‘keep it at 0-0 and let’s try and nick a goal’. I would personally hate to be a striker in this sort of team. 

Edited by GMOwl72

We don't really create much and already started playing two of them (Windass and Kachunga) in midfield at times, as well as our current wing back, ex winger as a forward at times. 

Our lack of creativity, movement is concerning. Without the ball, our forwards do close down, but with it fairly static. We just don't seem to have a clue. 

Opening day games are always a bit different and scoring early helped. The second goal from a set piece. The other game we won with a penalty, without that we didn't really look like scoring and lack of ability to score led to an unecessarily tense last 15 minutes.

Yes, we've been solid in games, particularly before losing Iorfa, Lees and Luongo. But, in losing them exposed just how woeful we are going forward. The only way we can win games is by keeping a clean sheet as we don't have it in our locker to score goals. 

It starting to become reminiscent of last season (and that worked well!) park 8 behind that ball with forwards isolated (which is criminal, especially with 5 in midfield) and hope for a set piece. It's all very one dimensional and the only time we ever get more than 2 players in the opposition box. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The only out and out strikers at the club are Rhodes and, Marriott.

Kachunga is a wide forward who’s been asked to fill in centrally.

Paterson can play a multitude of positions including defence.

Windass can play anywhere across the front three.

Hardly surprising we don’t score goals, half the team are consistently played outside of the natural position. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yorkowl.74 said:

Sorry I know it’s a different thread but these strikers and team need confidence and motivation which they will not get here under Monk. I didn’t see game I usually watch highlights but can’t bring myself to watch it. 

If you watch the short Sky highlights you’ll see just how dire we were.

Us - Bannan’s 20 yarder.

Luton - Goal, post, 3 near glorious chances

• Like 2

I said when we signed Marriott that we don’t have a single centre-forward in the senior team and that all of our forwards like to play facing goal and running in behind. Paterson looks like the only candidate for centre-forward as he has the physical attributes but, in reality, he is just a beast version of Kachunga and Windass. 

On our books at the end of last season, we had two centre-forwards in Fletcher and Nuhiu, a striker in Rhodes, an all-round forward in Winnall, and a deep lying forward in Forestieri. The loan players were a centre-forward in Wickham and an alll-round forward in Da Cruz. The situation was that we could perm any two or three from those forwards as long as at least one of them was either Fletcher, Wickham or Nuhiu; if we didn’t, the long ball forward just kept coming straight back at us. 

It is possible to play with forwards that play facing goal (i.e. without a centre-forward) and that way is to retain possession, drag the opposition out of shape and work chances through the channels; unfortunately for us, we do not have the players to do this. What happens is that we end up knocking the ball long, have no centre-forward that can win and retain it, which results in possession being lost.  In the last twenty years, the only teams that could successfully play possession football were the Arsenal “Invincibles”, Barcelona and Man City (since the money rolled in). 

When it was clear that Fletcher was leaving, whoever is in charge of recruitment (let’s face it, we fans don’t really know who that is) should have gone all out to recruit at least one proper “back to goal” “arse and elbows” target man centre-forward. At the very least, Nuhiu should have been offered a year’s extension to his contract - I know some people won’t agree with that (and will be justified to disagree) but our forwards now make Nuhiu (of last season) look like a world-beater plus all we would need Nuhiu for is to hold up the ball and bring others into the game.  By no means am I arguing for Nuhiu because, in reality, it was time to move him on; what I am stating is that we need a different type of forward to what we currently have and that type of forward is a centre forward. 

One of our forwards needs to start retaining possession and bringing in other players, otherwise, we are screwed. 

Playing your wide men on their wrong foot in a 3-5-2 is one factor we are not creating. The idea of this in a 4-3-3 is to have the threat of cutting in on your stronger one and to create space for the overlapping fullback who crosses in advanced areas with their naturally stronger feet. When played on their opposite wing in the current system they just cut in to already congested areas with no overlap option or put aimlessly weak crosses in when they go on the outside.
Our midfield is very easy to play against and we are all pinning our hopes on an injury prone link player, an injury prone defensive one and at the moment a seemingly disinterested captain. 
I agree nothing creative comes from any of the forwards at present and there are questions that can be asked of any of them but they are feeding off scraps. 

We're regressing and getting increasingly desperate. We've got one existing striker in Rhodes, and four sort of strikers who have been fetched in to rotate and plug gaps when we either go through doggy spells - like now, or insurance for injuries.

If we were serious about staying up, we would have looked to retain Fletcher for this year and brought in one or two loans to support him.

Our recruitment policy strikes me as being a bit random and based on Monk's determination to play attacking wing backs. The players we have just don't suit it and we need to move on - yesterday we had three 'strikers' and two attacking wing backs in the first half yet failed to even look like an attacking force.

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I think who ever he sees as the partnership need a run of games. I’m fed up of us dropping strikers every two - three games for them to be out in cold for months. 

Personally I’d prefer Rhodes & Paterson. Marriott coming on from bench.  

Spot on bud

• Thanks 1