Blame the chairman

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think there's a very very big issue in attracting the level of manager we need to Sheffield Wednesday FC

Football is a small world and everyone finds out everything about how clubs are run, the finances, the level of control, the openness of the club to the local media, whether or not the club announces new players or the chairmans son on Instagram etc etc

I think until that barrier is gone then we'll simply be left with managers coming for a payday and not for a genuine challenge or desire to be here (hence why Bruce legged it the second he could)

It's the lack of ambition in my view from Wednesday. You see lots of clubs go out and poach a manager from another club, a manager who is having success. We just seem to constantly go for out of work journeymen, and ( apart from Bruce) we serm to have zero ambition when it comes to managers. It's just the same old serial failures we appoint, and that is showing big time on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Paying comparative prices you mean, do you think it should be less than everyone else?  Bizarre....don't believe the myth!

Unless you have some stats on prices I cannot find, everything I have seen shows we pay the highest matchday and season ticket prices in the division. 

• Like 5

Guest Hornsby

I think there's a very very big issue in attracting the level of manager we need to Sheffield Wednesday FC

Football is a small world and everyone finds out everything about how clubs are run, the finances, the level of control, the openness of the club to the local media, whether or not the club announces new players or the chairmans son on Instagram etc etc

I think until that barrier is gone then we'll simply be left with managers coming for a payday and not for a genuine challenge or desire to be here (hence why Bruce legged it the second he could)

True, but unemployment tends to change views. Quickly.

Chris H thought he'd be back in EPL after rejecting us , and way before he accepted Forest's offer.

Pearson said he was desperate when Watford rescued him.

Even Bruce chanced Chansiri till EPL and hometown called.

Left field, Knill. Game's up at Lane and Wilder nicked all the credit last season. 

He may go for it.

Post of the week.

That's a huge issue for us going forward.

With every bad appointment too, the next one gets that much harder.

36 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

It's the lack of ambition in my view from Wednesday. You see lots of clubs go out and poach a manager from another club, a manager who is having success. We just seem to constantly go for out of work journeymen, and ( apart from Bruce) we serm to have zero ambition when it comes to managers. It's just the same old serial failures we appoint, and that is showing big time on the pitch. 

A manager with a really impressive pedigree wouldn't come to Wednesday in the present circumstances.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Chris H thought he'd be back in EPL after rejecting us , and way before he accepted Forest's offer.

Left field, Knill. Game's up at Lane and Wilder nicked all the credit last season. 

He may go for it.

Alan Knill?!?!?!?

He is probably a good football man, perfect as an assistant but we would be a laughing stock appointing Sheffield United assistant manager who have previously managed Rotherham, Bury, Scunthorpe and Torquay without doing much any any of them.

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Alan Knill?!?!?!?

He is probably a good football man, perfect as an assistant but we would be a laughing stock appointing Sheffield United assistant manager who have previously managed Rotherham, Bury, Scunthorpe and Torquay without doing much any any of them.

I bet Scunny would take him back. They've messed up even more than us in the last 4 years.  From mid table championship to 91st out of 92 currently.  

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

A manager with a really impressive pedigree wouldn't come to Wednesday in the present circumstances.

and for that reason, I always hope that we have a replacement lined up before anyone leaves.

It's frustrating seeing all 'our' choices slowly ruled out by the press. Some of us think it's as easy as going to the supermarket.

32 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I bet Scunny would take him back. They've messed up even more than us in the last 4 years.  From mid table championship to 91st out of 92 currently.  

Alan Knill had a 21% win percentage with Scunthorpe. I know stats don't tell the whole picture but I cant imagine with that he was a great success there.
I think it was Nigel Adkins who was Scunnys manager when they got into the Championship (After some good work by Brian Laws)

Edited by matthefish2002

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Monk was another managerial merry go round appointment, a bottom of the barrel appointment. It was an Horrendous decision. 

We need a better manager than monk to get us out of Chansiris hole.

But to be fair to him as @owlstalk is pointing out, Monk with a Lower Mid table budget achieved a lower mid table finish last season & has us 16th now without the PD 

Edited by zzmdu
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Manwë said:

The chairman is a genius, there can be no blame whatsoever apportioned to him.

Selling Hillsborough to himself, paid in instalments, which themselves are borrowed from a third(fourth?) party in terms of a loan with a charge over Hillsborough itself, all the while, fans line up to bow their heads in respect to the great businessman.  Not many people could have carried it off, but he has. 

Nah he's more like an idiot savant.

On 24/10/2020 at 22:04, kopman9 said:

Id take Ashley any day of the week, at least he understands the business side and how a football club should be run.

I'd take Ashley simply because understands business. Football comes second to me. 

Chansiri knows nothing about football or how to run a football club and I'm yet to see any evidence he knows how to run a business generally 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

We need a better manager than monk to get us out of Chansiris hole.

But to be fair to him as @owlstalk is pointing out, Monk with a Lower Mid table budget achieved a lower mid table finish last season & has us 16th now without the PD 

This is the point. Because of the chaotic way the club has been run we find ourselves with a lower mid table level squad. We end up , surprise surprise, in lower mid table and everyone rounds on the manager. Of course a brilliant manager would work his magic with the tools Monk has at his disposal and somehow lift the team out of the doldrums but, again, owing to the club being a car crash from top to bottom , they won't come. Nevertheless , even the threads which explicitly state this is a discussion about the chairman become endless and utterly pointless discussions about who should be the next manager. Like that's going to solve everything!

24 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

This is the point. Because of the chaotic way the club has been run we find ourselves with a lower mid table level squad. We end up , surprise surprise, in lower mid table and everyone rounds on the manager. Of course a brilliant manager would work his magic with the tools Monk has at his disposal and somehow lift the team out of the doldrums but, again, owing to the club being a car crash from top to bottom , they won't come. Nevertheless , even the threads which explicitly state this is a discussion about the chairman become endless and utterly pointless discussions about who should be the next manager. Like that's going to solve everything!

Think even if we got a manager with a great reputation we need to recognise things are not going to get better over night.
Ron Atkinson got relegated in his first full season, Jack Charlton took over 2 years to get us out of the third and we rightly rate those two as Wednesday greats.
Going to be a slog for a couple of seasons at least before we can look towards to top 6 places.

Monks not great. What we've dished up though is what he did at Birmingham under very similar circumstances.

I'm not his biggest fan. I think the football is turd, but what else can we expect when our current Chairman has set us back years though absolute inept leadership, naivety beyond his years and business acumen that is a complete and utter shambles.

The blame for me lies firmly at the head honcho. King Bean. Golden Elephant.

How some fans can let him off what is a complete and utter ******** up of our club because he put some elephants outside the ******** doors and bought some new turf is beyond me ...

There is no wonder why Meire and Palmer left sharpish. An absolute rudderless ship heading for a titanic like sink if we carry on like this

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hornsby said:

He may go for it.

I think Bruces Hometown excuse is a load of rubbish. There is no way that anybody who walks out on a club because of his so called affliction for his "boyhood club" would manage their only rivals for a number of years. It's like any one of us fans growing up and dreaming of managing wednesday only to go and manage Sheff Utd instead.