PAUL COOK

Guest mrbluesky

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Time we had a manager who has had sustained sucess with the clubs he's been at!

Any success at all would be an improvement on Monk

25 minutes ago, modboy said:

Biggest mistake in the clubs recent history not renewing his contract (out of spite it looks)

Recent? 😂 

2 minutes ago, sage owl said:

How do decide who is a cliché choice  ?.

Serious question would this rule out anyone who's managed elsewhere before. 

Simply a manager who isn't on the list that's always trotted out any time Wednesday lose a game of football

You know..

Paul Cook
The Cowley Brothers
Big Mick
Big Sam
John Sheridan

Nigel Pearson

Get Carlos back 

etc

etc

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, George said:

I've always liked Cook since he was first at Chessie, his interviews on Radio Sheffield always sounded like the right thing and the results were good. 

HOWEVER living in Pompey, I hear the same sort of stuff about him as you do in Wigan. 

Im neither a fan or against him. The point is, given how people view football in this day and age e.g. requiring instant results, I suspect 80+ clubs fans (out of 92) in the football league, are against or have misgivings about their managers. Wigan fans hated him, wanted him out and then he went on an unbelievable run of results. As a result, our fans want him, without seeing the fact the Wigan fans hated him and I presume, expect him to generate instant results on arrival....If, or should I say when he doesn’t, what do we do then?

Am I alone in being able to reconcile the idea that Monk was a poo choice and has no track record but that having lumped in on him, his squad and his staff, it is too early to bail on him now?

He should not have been appointed.

He should have gone at the end of the season.

Having not gone he now has to be given a bit longer.

Even reading it, it sounds daft but it is how I feel right now. Not much longer though. But if we win tonight then we will be all looking for our boarding passes for HMSPTL again in the morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everydayiswednesday said:

I can remember being there in the early 70's when we nearly went into the old 4th division.

The football was dire then & monks football reminds of those times. Also have to go back those days to beat monks home record.

So I know what support is.

Monk is proving every bit as incompitant as Burtenshaw. 

17 minutes ago, George said:

I've always liked Cook since he was first at Chessie, his interviews on Radio Sheffield always sounded like the right thing and the results were good. 

HOWEVER living in Pompey, I hear the same sort of stuff about him as you do in Wigan. 

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys if the manager was a total arse as long as he got results, which Cook has done at every club he has been at. 

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Simply a manager who isn't on the list that's always trotted out any time Wednesday lose a game of football

You know..

Paul Cook
The Cowley Brothers
Big Mick
Big Sam
John Sheridan

Nigel Pearson

Get Carlos back 

etc

etc

I'd take any of those, except Sheridan, over Monk. 

24 minutes ago, George said:

Am I alone in being able to reconcile the idea that Monk was a poo choice and has no track record but that having lumped in on him, his squad and his staff, it is too early to bail on him now?

He should not have been appointed.

He should have gone at the end of the season.

Having not gone he now has to be given a bit longer.

Even reading it, it sounds daft but it is how I feel right now. Not much longer though. But if we win tonight then we will be all looking for our boarding passes for HMSPTL again in the morning.

We probably would win tonight, given Rotherham won't turn up til tomorrow.  

• Haha 2

Paul Cook has won league titles with his last three clubs.

Chesterfield, finished 8th just outside playoffs (12-13) in first season then won league in his second (13-14). In his 3rd season led them to the league one playoffs (14-15)

Joined Portsmouth and finished in the playoffs (15-16), second season won league (16-17).

Joined Wigan in May 17 and won the league in his first season (17-18), finished 18th in their first season back in Championship (18-19) . Then relegated due to 12 point deduction but would have finished 13th.

If you look at his record in more detail he dramatically improves teams, 3 sustained seasons of higher finishes at Chesterfield including a league title and a playoff campaign. Portsmouth play off then league title. Wigan league title, survival then mid table without points deduction.

last 7 seasons, 3 league titles and 2 playoff campaigns! Pretty impressive!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Chesterfield, finished 8th just outside playoffs (12-13) in first season then won league in his second (13-14). In his 3rd season led them to the league one playoffs (14-15)

Joined Portsmouth and finished in the playoffs (15-16), second season won league (16-17).

Joined Wigan in May 17 and won the league in his first season (17-18), finished 18th in their first season back in Championship (18-19) . Then relegated due to 12 point deduction but would have finished 13th.

If you look at his record in more detail he dramatically improves teams, 3 sustained seasons of higher finishes at Chesterfield including a league title and a playoff campaign. Portsmouth play off then league title. Wigan league title, survival then mid table without points deduction.

Got relegated with Wigan 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Yeah but before that he only finished 14th with Stanley so I'm out.