Wednesday -V- Luton OMDT

Just now, Athelwulf said:

Monk isn't a shocking manager, and the Monkists are right about that.

But it's not about good/bad managers, it's about right/wrong managers.

For instance, Ron Atkinson was a great manager for us, but he would have been wrong for us in this scenario.

It's horses for courses.

Monk isn't the wrong horse for every course, but he's wrong for this one and we're going down if he stays.

I suspect there's a lot of truth in that. The question is, in that case: who would be the right manager for the hole we're in right now, and would be interested in taking the role right now?

1 minute ago, FutureOwl said:

Any team with Prettypussy starting will NEVER get a result. Started with 10 men, finished with 9. 

One of our better performers today mate.

Take a look at Moses, Marriott, Paterson, Windass before you start throwing tripe at Joey.

• Like 2

Just now, Animis said:

Marriot, Kachunga, Windass, Patteson and Rhodes - can they get 10 goals this season each? If not why are they here?

I just can't see the 'strikers' getting enough to keep us up - Reach, Harris, Luongo and BB might chip in with a combined half dozen.

We have no midfield so the defence is exposed - they're average at best and a bit slow, and we'll concede more times than not. 

These are experienced champ level players, some have previously been able to provide assists before (Reach)

Google the red bean experiment. There's zero point changing players if the underlying system is flawed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Each?

yes - if they are to be rotated, which I assume is the plan, they should get enough game time to get 10 goals each.

If you were a striker, I doubt setting a target of 10 goals a season would be that challenging.

Might be worth making a phone call or two to get summat in place for the Millwall match at home on the 7th. His record since Christmas deserves to be called out. Shame, but unless there’s a vast improvement in the next couple of games (Difficult to envisage) some other poor sap deserves a shot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Monk isn't a shocking manager, and the Monkists are right about that.

But it's not about good/bad managers, it's about right/wrong managers.

For instance, Ron Atkinson was a great manager for us, but he would have been wrong for us in this scenario.

It's horses for courses.

Monk isn't the wrong horse for every course, but he's wrong for this one and we're going down if he stays.

How do you work that one out. He saved us twice. First after Eustace and again after Pleat. He was a great manager full stop. He would be ideal for us now.

• Like 2

I’m normally fairly mellow after a bad result but absolutely seething after that. Completely abject performance so many players making up the numbers, Joey, Kachunga and Marriott contributed nothing. I know it’s more fashionable to blame Monk but the ref was an inconsistent, incompetent bell.  There’s no way that would have been a red with supporters in the stadium and how did the piggy no get booked for his push on Moses. Still think we can do it but we’re going to need some major luck! 

Guest Bulgaria

Absolute tripe today. 

Bannan deserves better, he must be wondering WTF. Flint deserves a mention also, but as a team and coaching performance it was useless.

The very fact Monk waited until the 88th to instruct us to move forward as a team rather than booting it aimlessly up front to the most inept front two I've seen for years.

Did Jack Marriott actually touch the ball in 70 minutes of play?

The last 5 minutes was like watching a pub team. That last second chance sequence when firsty, Bannon fluffed his free kick, and then Harris oiked it high in air straight at the keeper sums us up right now, especially today.

Clueless, passive and tactically inept.

I am close to wanting Monk gone. And I've been willing to give him time, but today was awful.

Just now, the mighty wednesday said:

How do you work that one out. He saved us twice. First after Eustace and again after Pleat. He was a great manager full stop. He would be ideal for us now.

Ron would have saved us after, say, Jos.

Because in spite of our results we had the talent on the pitch to play Ron's way.

In our current mess, it's more of a Warnock or a Bassett we need.

In other words, a manager who can get good results with mediocre players.

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
7 minutes ago, FutureOwl said:

If he is one of the better performers at our club we may aswell just close the doors now. 

As much as don't rate Joey, he was the least of our worries today.

At one point around the 70th minute mark we had an throw and no one, not one player other than Joey tried to make space to accept the throw.

4 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Absolute tripe today. 

Bannan deserves better, he must be wondering WTF. Flint deserves a mention also, but as a team and coaching performance it was useless.

The very fact Monk waited until the 88th to instruct us to move forward as a team rather than booting it aimlessly up front to the most inept front two I've seen for years.

Did Jack Marriott actually touch the ball in 70 minutes of play?

The last 5 minutes was like watching a pub team. That last second chance sequence when firsty, Bannon fluffed his free kick, and then Harris oiked it high in air straight at the keeper sums us up right now, especially today.

Clueless, passive and tactically inept.

I am close to wanting Monk gone. And I've been willing to give him time, but today was awful.

Why? He’s just as much part of the problem as anyone else at the moment. If he’s just going to receive the ball and pass it back to defensive players, Joey proved he can do that perfectly well too. 

Where are the Bannan moments of magic? Where are his clever through balls? Where is Bannan darting into space and wanting the ball in attacking areas... if he’s just playing one-twos with our CB’s and Joey I’m also wondering WTF. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Ron would have saved us after, say, Jos.

Because in spite of our results we had the talent on the pitch to play Ron's way.

In our current mess, it's more of a Warnock or a Bassett we need.

In other words, a manager who can get good results with mediocre players.

That's one way of thinking but I think he was a proper manager and would set us up to be effective and motivate the current players.

After Eustace we had pretty poor players for the 1st Division. He was able to bring in some players but the majority were of no better standard relative to the league than we have now.