Wednesday -V- Luton OMDT

Just now, pussface said:

In all seriousness?

We're certainly down, so someone who's experienced in getting out of league 1 and actually knows how to organise and galvanize the team, can also use the rest of this season to set a marker down and arrest the decline.

Whoever that is, it certainly isn't Monk, who must be games away from having his managerial career truncated.

We're down, I already knew that. Yet all I can see Monk delivering is League 2 football. He's the worst of the worst, and I don't say that lightly as we've had some serious shockers.

Not prepared to write us off just yet, but we do need someone who can take this squad by the scruff of the neck and get things working. Who that person is I don't know and what's equally important is will any one want to take on such a poison chalice?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Goal disallowed

We should have  had a penalty
Van AKen went whacko and groined a player and got sent off (they scored a minute later)

Managers can't do anything about that

Yeah but even if managers could do something about it, we all know Monk still couldn't or wouldn't. 

That was a demoralising performance. We offered nothing going forward, the team that carried the greatest threat won.

I’m wishing we’d have got the twelve point deduction last season.  At least our direction of travel would be up.  Feels like we are now several years away from top flight football now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Not prepared to write us off just yet, but we do need someone who can take this squad by the scruff of the neck and get things working. Who that person is I don't know and what's equally important is will any one want to take on such a poison chalice?

Well they would have to work with our illustrious chairman and his entourage..

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

We haven’t brought in a proven scorer at the top of his game. We haven’t been willing / able to spend the money needed to sign a Toney or to keep a Fletcher but a fair question is, would any striker be able to regularly score goals in this team that creates so few chances, has no attacking pattern and lumps long hopeless balls for our strikers to chase? Marriott, Kachunga & Windass are not world beaters but their records suggest they are no mugs either. Even Rhodes has shown he can finish when opportunities are put in a plate. 

Marriot, Kachunga, Windass, Patteson and Rhodes - can they get 10 goals this season each? If not why are they here?

I just can't see the 'strikers' getting enough to keep us up - Reach, Harris, Luongo and BB might chip in with a combined half dozen.

We have no midfield so the defence is exposed - they're average at best and a bit slow, and we'll concede more times than not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

We haven’t brought in a proven scorer at the top of his game. We haven’t been willing / able to spend the money needed to sign a Toney or to keep a Fletcher but a fair question is, would any striker be able to regularly score goals in this team that creates so few chances, has no attacking pattern and lumps long hopeless balls for our strikers to chase? Marriott, Kachunga & Windass are not world beaters but their records suggest they are no mugs either. Even Rhodes has shown he can finish when opportunities are put in a plate. 

Why would any top striker come to us? To be asked to run, press, track back and feed off scraps? Our attacking intent or ability from midfield today was appalling. 

The best cross was from Flint. A 6’6” CB. The best through ball from JVA. The best sprint into space to revive the ball from Borner, our slowest player. 

If Kachunga, Bannan and co don’t offer any attacking intent or threat let’s swap them for players that at least offer defensive attributes as otherwise it’s like playing with nine men. 

• Like 1

Just now, fife_owl said:

That was a demoralising performance. We offered nothing going forward, the team that carried the greatest threat won.

I’m wishing we’d have got the twelve point deduction last season.  At least our direction of travel would be up.  Feels like we are now several years away from top flight football now.

You sure? I can't see Monk doing any better in league 1.

Monk isn't a shocking manager, and the Monkists are right about that.

But it's not about good/bad managers, it's about right/wrong managers.

For instance, Ron Atkinson was a great manager for us, but he would have been wrong for us in this scenario.

It's horses for courses.

Monk isn't the wrong horse for every course, but he's wrong for this one and we're going down if he stays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Nice to see our unwanted cast off centre forward Fletch is scoring every week for Stoke. Another superb decision Mr Monk!!

UP THE OWLS!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want Monk out, but he wanted Fletcher to stay but the club offered him less money than his old contract.

Just now, Animis said:

Marriot, Kachunga, Windass, Patteson and Rhodes - can they get 10 goals this season each? If not why are they here?

I just can't see the 'strikers' getting enough to keep us up - Reach, Harris, Luongo and BB might chip in with a combined half dozen.

We have no midfield so the defence is exposed - they're average at best and a bit slow, and we'll concede more times than not. 

Each?

• Haha 1