Massimo Luongo - Out For Next Three Games

Our other options aren't as effective as Luongo at protecting the defence. Unless we switch Paterson to defensive midfield, we'll have to hope JP steps up his game, whereas FDB needs time. We'll rue not bringing in a defensive midfielder and wing backs, unless we can bring in someone out of contract. Signing someone like Jackson Irvine would have made sense. 

• Like 1

Better find someone else in the squad who can play a similar robust and mobile role playing deep and also supporting attacks.

If Joey plays as he did the other night, we will defensively solid but too light up front...If Hunt plays  we will need to score 3+ goals in each game to offset the midfield and defensive weakness.

Crucial call for Monk IMO and these games will hinge on that decision.

• Like 1

Hopefully Brown back to soften the blow. There is a case for FDB, but Pelupessy also had an impact on  Wednesday night. 

At home vs Luton, could go either way but wouldn't be surprised to see Pelupessy playing deep, pushing Bannan and hopefully Brown further forward. Our best spell on Wednesday night in the second half was when Bannan was playing in their half.

If Brown is back fit, then I'm less concerned about having Joey P in the team. 

He can just sit back, break up play and then pass it 5 yards to either Bannan or Brown who are more than capable of keeping the ball and dictating things. 

Still - what a blow. He's been excellent so far this season. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If Brown is back fit, then I'm less concerned about having Joey P in the team. 

He can just sit back, break up play and then pass it 5 yards to either Bannan or Brown who are more than capable of keeping the ball and dictating things. 

Still - what a blow. He's been excellent so far this season. 

Exactly what I said in the Pelupessy thread. Him sitting behind Brown and Bannan might actually be ok. And its the only way I see us compensating for the loss of Luongo.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Joey did well when he came on. Offers nothing at all going forward though. 

I agree he offers nothing going forward but also he is lightweight defensively. 
He’s ok at tackling and interceptions but gets outmuscled, offers nothing in the air and adds nothing on set pieces in either box.

I would rather play an extra defender in there.

Massive blow that. Like has been said we have no one anywhere near his standard to come in and do the job he does. Unfortunately I think Pelupessy will be starting tomorrow. It’s a shame Shaw isn’t fit because I would rather him play. Think we need to be getting a free agent in, Brown and Luongo will probably be missing quite a bit this season. 

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I agree he offers nothing going forward but also he is lightweight defensively. 
He’s ok at tackling and interceptions but gets outmuscled, offers nothing in the air and adds nothing on set pieces in either box.

I would rather play an extra defender in there.

yes he is very weak for a defensive midfield player. He will get easily bullied off the ball against the physical teams. Interesting idea about putting an extra defender in there, wonder if it would suit Iorfa? 

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

yes he is very weak for a defensive midfield player. He will get easily bullied off the ball against the physical teams. Interesting idea about putting an extra defender in there, wonder if it would suit Iorfa? 

Id ask Iorfa to do the job when the defenders are back of Luongo is out

• Like 1