Sheffield Wednesday in the 1970's

One of my (now fading and inaccurate) memories was from what I thought was our lowest crowd, which would be the Colchester game reading posts above, but I remember it as a night game.  It was cold and rainy and miserable and there were a couple thou of us spread all over the Kop, The Star took a photo and published it on the back page circling about a dozen lucky(?) people who won a prize that I think was a free ticket to the next game.  I missed out to somebody stood near me.  Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

20 minutes ago, Striggy said:

One of my (now fading and inaccurate) memories was from what I thought was our lowest crowd, which would be the Colchester game reading posts above, but I remember it as a night game.  It was cold and rainy and miserable and there were a couple thou of us spread all over the Kop, The Star took a photo and published it on the back page circling about a dozen lucky(?) people who won a prize that I think was a free ticket to the next game.  I missed out to somebody stood near me.  Happy days.

I remember being on the kop in the early days. My girlfriend and I stood together on the kop and later in the game ended about 50ft apart due to crowd surges. Ahh happy days. Anybody else remember?

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 14:12, fredmciverslovechild said:

Those years in the old Third, 1975 to 1980, were probably the best years I've ever had supporting Wednesday. The camaraderie on away trips in particular was fantastic....never remotely equalled since. And after Big Jack came even though we were dire for a long while still there was this total belief amongst us that great days lay just ahead.

Didn't we have the chance to have brought in both Brian Clough and Tommy Docherty on separate occasions? History would have been so different had we chanced with either.

When Clough left Brighton (or when Leeds sacked him, can't remember whcih) I wrote to the club begging them to get him. it could easily have been us winning 2 European cups !

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

When Clough left Brighton (or when Leeds sacked him, can't remember whcih) I wrote to the club begging them to get him. it could easily have been us winning 2 European cups !

He was under consideration at one point,he eluded to this in a TV interview he did,doubt hed have come we were almost bust back then,think our transfer budget was about 60K

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

He was under consideration at one point,he eluded to this in a TV interview he did,doubt hed have come we were almost bust back then,think our transfer budget was about 60K

Clough himself (or his ghost writer) wrote in the Nottingham Post of being approached for the Owls job. I'm not sure how accurate his version of events was though. He effectively said that he was asked to apply - and that he didn't apply for jobs but waited to be offered them. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Striggy said:

Was it this one? Sorry the quality isn't great... There was a pound waiting for the lucky few if they turned up at the Star's offices. Picture from a friendly game against Burnley during the Save Our Owls era of early 1975. 

Crowd vs Burnley Friendly.jpg

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Was it this one? Sorry the quality isn't great... There was a pound waiting for the lucky few if they turned up at the Star's offices. Picture from a friendly game against Burnley during the Save Our Owls era of early 1975. 

Crowd vs Burnley Friendly.jpg

That’s the fella, excellent work thank you 🙏 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

14 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Clough himself (or his ghost writer) wrote in the Nottingham Post of being approached for the Owls job. I'm not sure how accurate his version of events was though. He effectively said that he was asked to apply - and that he didn't apply for jobs but waited to be offered them. 

I think Clough was well known for making himself linked with other jobs when he wanted a better contract at Forest or more transfer funds.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think Clough was well known for making himself linked with other jobs when he wanted a better contract at Forest or more transfer funds.

Yes, absolutely this. I was told (after the book was published) by a respected journalist of the time that the story was very likely a 'plant' by Clough. 

I think there was more in the Owls being linked with Ron Atkinson. Cambridge turned down an approach from an 'unnamed club' just before Steve Burtenshaw was sacked. 

Don Megson also talks of being 'tapped up' for the job in his autobiography.

The Liverpool press even reported that SWFC asked Bill Shankley if he'd come out of retirement. He wouldn't!

How much is truth and how much rumour out of all that is difficult to know for sure 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Who can't afford to buy their own clothes hence the owls jumper.  Cant believe the fashion then, looks like the goodies cast offs.

Hey don't knock those lambswool jumpers with the embroidered owl they were the biz 

I had a navy blue one.

I'm sure quite a few of the players used to wear them too. Maybe a marketing ploy.

Check out the flares though!

There's enough material in those trousers to make the sails for several tall ships.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

image.png.73bee85145d5c55303dda1ff0ab4d893.png

Another picture I like. Fewer than 8,000 in Vs Oxford I think in 1973.

Photographer was probably stood next to me. I like watching from high up so often used to stand at the very top in those days (the photos I posted a while ago from 1971 are from that very spot.) I also stood there for the BDM, although there were a few more in that day!

• Thanks 1