Sheffield Wednesday in the 1970's

The era under Burtenshaw was quite easily the worst times Ive had watching Wednesday,brilliant coach, hopeless manager. Had a stint as manager at  QPR and almost relegated them too before they sacked him,later as caretaker boss at Arsenal he won just two solitary games with one of the best sides in the league and suffered some embarrassing defeats.

• Like 2

Dark and miserable days for many of us in the seventies and not just with Steve Burtenshaw. From the game against Man City in 1970 ,when we were relegated from the then First Division, to the Southend match in 1976 where we narrowly escaped dropping into the then Fourth Division. Nowt really to look forward to on those match days but we still had to be there because that's why we are Wednesday.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Dark and miserable days for many of us in the seventies and not just with Steve Burtenshaw. From the game against Man City in 1970 ,when we were relegated from the then First Division, to the Southend match in 1976 where we narrowly escaped dropping into the then Fourth Division. Nowt really to look forward to on those match days but we still had to be there because that's why we are Wednesday.

A hard core of 7 to 10 thousand of us were there, but plenty lost interest at that time. Remember being at Hillsborough plenty of times with less than 10k there including the Colchester game when we got our lowest post war crowd (just 6,900). For some reason though we still turned up in decent numbers for most away games.

It was a strange time, the football was dire, the future looked bleak yet the camaraderie was top notch, maybe because so many of us seemed to know each other!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

A hard core of 7 to 10 thousand of us were there, but plenty lost interest at that time. Remember being at Hillsborough plenty of times with less than 10k there including the Colchester game when we got our lowest post war crowd (just 6,900). For some reason though we still turned up in decent numbers for most away games.

It was a strange time, the football was dire, the future looked bleak yet the camaraderie was top notch, maybe because so many of us seemed to know each other!

Afternoon Utah. You are right as the support was all as one and the camaraderie very much in evidence. Never occurred to me once not to go despite the performances and having read John Dysons account it brought back many memories. Not so happy days but all a part of our history.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Afternoon Utah. You are right as the support was all as one and the camaraderie very much in evidence. Never occurred to me once not to go despite the performances and having read John Dysons account it brought back many memories. Not so happy days but all a part of our history.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose. As a teenager they were some of the happiest days of my life, win lose or draw (plus all the other stuff outside football)!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

I was on the Kop on that fateful day when we lost against Man City. City tried to help us out by missing many chances. They forgot to tell the sub as he scored and we were relegated.

1 minute ago, doubled123456 said:

I was on the Kop on that fateful day when we lost against Man City. City tried to help us out by missing many chances. They forgot to tell the sub as he scored and we were relegated.

Me too mate and it sticks in the memory like it was yesterday. The beginning of our 70's decline but we still stuck with 'em all the way.

• Like 1

I lived in Tibshelf, between Mansfield and Chesterfield and having those two above us was awful in the 70's but, bad as we were, I took pride in following Wednesday. No internet, no mobiles but you just walked into a pub before an away game and it would be full of Wednesday, great feeling! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, doubled123456 said:

And that sub in 1970 at Hillsboro was......      Ian Bowyer.

Fast forward 14 years to 1984, and our first game back in the top division was against Forest, who included a veteran Ian Bowyer.    Thankfully he did not score, and we won 3-1.

Yes- Burtenshaw..   A lot of us on here don't rate Gary Monk, but I'd take him over Steve Burtenshaw any day.

It was embarrassing watching Wednesday in those days.   We lost 20,000 fans from 1967 to 1976.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Hello....that attendance....I'm sure I went to one against Bournemouth...might have been a cup game, and it was a lot less than that....nowt to brag about I know, but I'm starting to wonder if it was a dream :-)....night game I think. UTO.