Callum Paterson

PATERSON SWFC.jpg

CALLUM PATERSON
Sheffield Wednesday Striker/Forward

Scottish International, signed on an undisclosed fee from Cardiff City where he was a fans favourite.

The 25-year-old began his career north of the border with Hearts where he played 158 times, scoring 38 goals, after rising through the Tynecastle academy.

The Scot was initially played as a right back but due to his eye for goal would often be pushed forward into more attacking roles.

Paterson’s move up front became more regular when he made the switch to Cardiff in June 2017, with his goals and presence in the final third helping the Bluebirds gain promotion to the Premier League during his first campaign in Wales.

Overall, the utility man made 106 appearances for Cardiff, scoring 21 goals.

Paterson has represented his country 13 times since making his debut against Italy in 2016 

Owlstalk Shop

He’s played 3 games, scored one, won a pen and worked his nads off. Credit to him that he’s been kept on and kept pressing for the full 270 minutes.

He looks to lack quality but so far you can’t argue his worth. Hope he keeps up this level, and that played week in week out as a striker for the first time in his career his confidence will grow by the game.

• Like 6

A quality, hard working, versatile player, that gives his all for the team. If we had more players like Paterson; Bannan, Luongo and Iorfa, we'd easily stay up. It's going to be a long old battle but with old school players like Paterson, that will do anything they're asked and run through brick walls for the team, we've got a chance. 

• Like 4

I like what I've seen of the cove. Puts himself about, isn't afraid of getting bashed about, and seems to be getting on the end of things.

Couple of headers flashed wide in his couple of outings. Bit of sharpness and I think he'll prove a shrewd bit of business. 

Also, given our propensity to pick up injuries all over the park his ability to slot into other positions may also come in handy over the course of the season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He’s played 3 games, scored one, won a pen and worked his nads off. Credit to him that he’s been kept on and kept pressing for the full 270 minutes.

He looks to lack quality but so far you can’t argue his worth. Hope he keeps up this level, and that played week in week out as a striker for the first time in his career his confidence will grow by the game.

What do you mean he lacks quality? 

20 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Do you really think he will be best used as a striker ? I can see the attributes he gives but i just dont see him as a CF myself. Not a dig i just think he looks more of a midfield player.

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Do you really think he will be best used as a striker ? I can see the attributes he gives but i just dont see him as a CF myself. Not a dig i just think he looks more of a midfield player.

Yes I do.

Its not so much that he’s a great striker, but right now he’s the only one who genuinely merits a start up top.

Windass, Marriot, Rhodes and Kachunga aren’t standing out yet. Hopefully one will.

4 hours ago, hugeowl said:

What do you mean he lacks quality? 

To me he looks like a trier, but without any obvious outstanding qualities that you might get from your striker. 

If you think of the qualities that say Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri or Joao had, they had things missing but each had clear qualities too. Not yet seeing that from Paterson. Doesn’t do anything really badly, but nor does he do anything really well.

But hey, it’s 3 games, and he’s really promising and is the only striker this season that can’t be left out right now.

51 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

To me he looks like a trier, but without any obvious outstanding qualities that you might get from your striker. 

If you think of the qualities that say Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri or Joao had, they had things missing but each had clear qualities too. Not yet seeing that from Paterson. Doesn’t do anything really badly, but nor does he do anything really well.

But hey, it’s 3 games, and he’s really promising and is the only striker this season that can’t be left out right now.

He’s a good finisher mate. Just wait and see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But he gets the Scotland call in front of Fletcher 

• Like 1