Luton game.........attack attack attack...a must?

15 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

No, it is still not. Not until your target becomes mathematically impossible if you lose. THAT is a must win game

Are you for real..........

• Like 1

We need to win just to get the monkey off or backs with not winning at home. It's becoming a massive problem and will cost us  if it's not solved. I hope we have some of the injured guy's back, that will make a big difference. uto

• Like 3

I would say yes tomorrow is a must win game.

We have to put a stop to the home hoodoo, it can't go on and on.

9 games without a win at home. Sky highlighted it the other night and no doubt opposition managers will to their players.

Visiting teams know there are easy pickings to be had at Hillsborough. They know if they score first, they will get something from the game as we can't score more than one goal.

This has to change, the longer we go without winning at home the pressure is going to be more and more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a ‘must win game’ in the context of the opposition.

Surely Luton at home HAS to be highlighted as a very winnable game and therefore is a must win game

I’d written the Brentford game off but have us down for 3 points against Luton

we’ll hopefully be on +points by the time we’ve played Wycombe at home

• Like 2

Certainly a game that we need to win if we're going to be out the bottom 3 come May, Luton will be down there and we need to make sure we beat these teams around us.

Honestly I'm not too fussed if we go all out attack, as long as we get the 3 points. I'd also be completely fine with focusing on being solid at the back while still creating enough chances to get a goal or two, then defending the lead comfortably.

My only doubt is the last bit though, can't remember ever seeing us defend a lead comfortably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I think they just need to set up like they do for an away game. Think this is gonna be much harder than people think. I'd be more than happy with a scruffy 1-0 win. 

• Like 1

I agree we need to be on the offensive and front foot in this match, but we should also defend 😉 

Luton should be an easier opponent than Brentford but under-estimation will only come back and bite us.

• Like 2

I watched a bit of the game they played against Millwall on Tuesday,  Luton really struggled with a high ball toward back post both from crosses and set pieces 

As for attacking it was a long ball upfront and work from there if that's how they play against us then surely its playing into our hands 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

No game in October is an absolute must win game

Understand where you are coming from with this but at the same time there are certain games, which at the start of the season if we are going to stop up we should be expecting to take 3 points from.

Agree that we could potentially lose at home to Luton and then beat Brentford away later in the season but realistically if we aren’t taking 3 points from Saturday our confidence levels will be rock bottom (players and fans alike)

Edited by GMOwl72
3 hours ago, spiderman said:

We have shown some good football in other games so hopefully can bring some players back and give it everything to bring 3 points home.

Agree with that bit.

The players go by the attitude that every game is a must win game from day 1 to the last. Some fans live for tomorrow, the players live for the day. Support Wednesday. They absolutely want to beat Luton Town and have no qualms about doing so. Wednesday couldn’t care less if the match is in Sept or April. It’s a ball game. Go out there and beat them. And that they will. WED 3 - 0 LT. UTO. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, spiderman said:

This game to me is an absolute must win game if we are to stay up in the championship.We have shown some good football in other games so hopefully can bring some players back and give it everything to bring 3 points home.

Whats everyone else's thoughts on this game?

Monk will probably do what he does every week which is try not concede, get first goal then back off to protect the lead. Its a fine balance between fear and over confidence but i think there is too much fear in our game. When we went behind against brentford we reacted well both times. More of this needed without conceding first.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Goes without saying a win would be preferable but to say its a must win game is hyperbole.

A draw or a defeat would see us about 8 or 9 points off safety with 39 games left. Loads of time left to make that up.

Yeah but I really miss threads entitled 'Playoffs'

7 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Lose to Luton, win every game after that and we'll be promoted.

It simply is not a MUST win game

In the context of this season, it is for the following reasons:

1. Our abysmal home record. We have to end this home hoodoo and turn Hillsborough back into a fortress, it will be the biggest factor in our survival
  2. We can't afford to go on a losing streak, players confidence hinges on getting results
  3. We need to get our points into positive territory asap, whilst the gap to 4th bottom is still small. So far we have made reasonable progress but we need to press on
  4. To demonstrate that the squad is still capable of getting results even when weakened through injury and create additional competition for places
  5. Luton are viewed as one of the weaker sides in the division (rightly or wrongly) if we can't beat them it is very worrying
  6. If nothing else to get fans back on onside

In any ordinary season I'd agree with you, however this season is far from ordinary, ergo for me Saturday is a must win.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, spiderman said:

This game to me is an absolute must win game if we are to stay up in the championship.We have shown some good football in other games so hopefully can bring some players back and give it everything to bring 3 points home.

Whats everyone else's thoughts on this game?

Its ONE game,stop over reacting.....Personally,i expect us to win it,but who knows? maybe someone gets injured,or sent off,& we have to play with 10.....etc..