My take on Brentford

30 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Indeed the issue is what we are progressing towards.

My complaint about the Brentford performance was it was dull. We created literally nothing in the second half. We could still be playing now and have created nothing.

I am sick of going to Hillsborough and watching boring games. That's why the first Carlos season was such a revelation. We've had twenty years of mainly poo football. It's ******** draining.

Think it is draining for all the fanbase at the moment, not just the matches but the divisive feeling amongst the fans too.

I'd be okay with a never say die squad and a season full of 1-0 victories as long as we stay up (which I think we will) as long as it is clear it is a rebuilding season

And I think this is partly the problem. We need to understand the direction the club is going and a 5 year plan. If this season is grinding and staying up I think more fans would get on board with boring games (as long as it = a W)

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I don't come on here the day after a defeat, it's far too depressing, the negativity does my head in

I thought we did very well against a very good Brentford team

We gifted them two goals and still made a good fist of it

Brentford have been building year on year for a long time 

I have a mate who is a Brentford fan, he tells me it all started when Mark Warburton arrived at the club as first team coach in 2011

Warburton was appointed sporting director later the same year, he then became manager in 2013

They've been on an upward trajectory, building ever year since 2011

Monk has just started his second season, a season in which he was finally allowed to make his first permanent signing

We are a work in progress, no doubt about that, and we're far from the finished article, but there are many positives to be had

And considering the players who weren't available, Luongo, Izzy Brown, Iorfa, Tom Lees, Dunkley

I believe we have the basis of a team that can make an impact in this division

We need to get the injured players back, and maybe add a bit more creativity in the January window, and see where it takes us

There's an important week coming up, if we can take maximum points from the next 3 games, the picture will change immensely

Up the Owls

great post, said it before we cannot lose a match and sack everyone or win a match and extol them as genius's 

our job this season is remain rational and support the team however we can 

• Love 2

I was impressed with Brentford the other night. Very good passing team with plenty of pace throughout the team. The full backs are excellent and Toney was on a different level.

Thought we did well and you can see the effort was there for all to see. We won’t be critical about the players giving 100% this season. It’s the quality that is the problem and I don’t think there’s enough goals in our team. 

“ Gifting” goals is quite a subjective view.

Sure , Dawson could have parried that shot over to the right or out for a corner, but their second goal was simply a case of a striker on form being stronger than his marker. Even if Flint was marking him the outcome might well have been the same.

I expect that some Brentford fans will think that they gifted us our goal. Sometimes you just have to give the goalscorer credit.

• Like 1

I've read the replies and I agree with most of them

Brentford are a better team than us, no question

But if you look at the goals

Had Luongo been playing, he would have been sniffing danger around the edge of the box, I'm not saying the Brentford player wouldn't have got his shot off, but he wouldn't have had that much space

The second goal, had Tom Lees or Iorfa been playing, their striker wouldn't have muscled either out of the way

I'm a Monk fan, but you've got to question why he'd select Odubajo to mark their biggest threat on set pieces, it was clear Brentford set up to isolate Odubajo to give Toney a bigger chance.

Take those two goals out of the game, and for all Brentford's quality, they didn't hurt us

We lack creativity, hopefully once Brown is back we will show more, but we still need a Murphy

The next three games are winnable, but like what as been pointed out, we don't win 3 on the bounce

For me, the next game is always the big one, beat Luton and it relieves a bit of pressure, we can look to Toytown, which is the banana skin, beat them both and we're flying, I fully expect us to beat Wycombe

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I just don’t share the optimism about Monk - I wish I did but I don’t.

3 home games and no win - and no clue about our pattern of play or what we are trying to do. In all 3 games we’ve looked shaky and vulnerable and the fact is, we need to win games. We create precious little and most of the time, opponents are comfortable and in control. How many home wins have we had this year? As I said, we need wins and when we have consistently failed to score more than 1 goal in every home game for almost a year, the alarm bells are ringing.

We have done better away but still don’t look convincing and we are all relieved at the final whistle after yet another game where we’ve dropped deep and just about clung on. What actually is our style of play, we should be seeing some signs now given Monk has been here for more than a year?

All the signs say Monk is just not cutting it, so I don’t get the optimism based on looking at the reality even if I’d be over the moon to be proven wrong. We play dull football under him as his default is to play deep and try to contain - is it wrong to expect better?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I don't come on here the day after a defeat, it's far too depressing, the negativity does my head in

I thought we did very well against a very good Brentford team

We gifted them two goals and still made a good fist of it

Brentford have been building year on year for a long time 

I have a mate who is a Brentford fan, he tells me it all started when Mark Warburton arrived at the club as first team coach in 2011

Warburton was appointed sporting director later the same year, he then became manager in 2013

They've been on an upward trajectory, building ever year since 2011

Monk has just started his second season, a season in which he was finally allowed to make his first permanent signing

We are a work in progress, no doubt about that, and we're far from the finished article, but there are many positives to be had

And considering the players who weren't available, Luongo, Izzy Brown, Iorfa, Tom Lees, Dunkley

I believe we have the basis of a team that can make an impact in this division

We need to get the injured players back, and maybe add a bit more creativity in the January window, and see where it takes us

There's an important week coming up, if we can take maximum points from the next 3 games, the picture will change immensely

Up the Owls

That’s a bit positive Hoots! Are you sure you’re in the right forum? Quite right though and well said.

WAWAW

9 hours ago, Daz said:

I just don’t share the optimism about Monk - I wish I did but I don’t.

3 home games and no win - and no clue about our pattern of play or what we are trying to do. In all 3 games we’ve looked shaky and vulnerable and the fact is, we need to win games. We create precious little and most of the time, opponents are comfortable and in control. How many home wins have we had this year? As I said, we need wins and when we have consistently failed to score more than 1 goal in every home game for almost a year, the alarm bells are ringing.

We have done better away but still don’t look convincing and we are all relieved at the final whistle after yet another game where we’ve dropped deep and just about clung on. What actually is our style of play, we should be seeing some signs now given Monk has been here for more than a year?

All the signs say Monk is just not cutting it, so I don’t get the optimism based on looking at the reality even if I’d be over the moon to be proven wrong. We play dull football under him as his default is to play deep and try to contain - is it wrong to expect better?

All very true

9 hours ago, Daz said:

We play dull football under him as his default is to play deep and try to contain

And there's me thinking we are playing a pressing game from the front but have got undone by teams hoofing the ball into the box and would have been in among the playoffs without the 12 point deficit lol