Odubajo marking Toney on corner..........why??

On 22/10/2020 at 15:39, WalthamOwl said:

I believe Flint was marking one the their big defenders. It was crazy though that Moses was left to mark a player as good as Toney. Personally think it’s time Moses was rested at the weekend, hopefully we will have a couple of players back at the weekend to take his place. Last night imo Palmer or even Borner should have been playing instead of him. 

Odubajo is a terrible defender. Wing back or on right of midfield only. How much more evidence does Monk need? Borner should have played. Good point about why Odubajo was marking Toney. It was pathetic to see him brushed aside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

Odubajo is a terrible defender. Wing back or on right of midfield only. How much more evidence does Monk need? Borner should have played. Good point about why Odubajo was marking Toney. It was pathetic to see him brushed aside. 

The alternative will always look like the better option if a player makes a costly mistake, but I can see why we'd pick Odubajo over Börner to face Brentford's frontline - they're full of pace, energy and trickery, which is hardly Börner's forte. 

We'll never know of course, but I imagine Brentford would have found a way past Börner at some point, as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Night King said:

Can’t knock Odubajos effort he’s just not a very good footballer. He’d be a half decent squad player at full back but having him in the middle in a 3 is asking for trouble. 

he isnt even really a fullback never mind centre half which is unreal he is playing there , he is the worst defender ive ever seen in swfc colours not the worst player cause he can be decent at other end of pitch but ive witnessed home and away him concede more pens in 1 season that an average defender does in an entire career. 

2 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Have many goals have come from those two winning the first header? It's not always about who is the final goal scorer.

Indeed, if they'd have won the first header on Wednesday night then we'd have been in trouble because we had a player who is notably weak at defending set pieces marking the top scorer in the league. As it is they bypassed the middle man to score. 

What we did didn't work, as it hasn't done for the last 15 home games (one of which was won by Fletcher in the 96th minute, seemingly the only man capable of getting results consistently for Monk's tactics. 

Let's hope today will be different. 

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, morganowl said:

well ivan toney looked like he was a foot taller than him which i know he was not . if borner or palmer played instead we wouldnt have lost. 

So who's the 'big lad' you're referring to?

Bad news, though - I've travelled to the alternate dimensions where Börner and Palmer played and both got torn to shreds and repeatedly done for pace. We lost 3-1 in each dimension.

Soz.

:duntmatter: