Odubajo marking Toney on corner..........why??

13 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Injuries don't stop defensive responsibility 

It thought Lees was easy to get past til I saw moses

The blokes a car crash 

He started sprouting **** on tw@tter about how fans negativaty in the stadium was causing him and his teammates performances to suffer 

Well no fans for 6 months and his performances continue to be well below average, so what's the excuse now? 

Face it, he is a very average defender who has no place in this team never mind playing cb, a position he has never played 

Monk and moses have to take responsibility for his car crash efforts 

You seem quite angry about this for some reason.

I agree, Odubajo is now an average defender. Once we have our first choice defenders back, I imagine he'll be back on the bench. For now, it's probably a matter of needs must while we endure the latest injury crisis.

Interesting aside: it turns out Bruce once played Odubajo as a central defender against Man City. They kept it down to 4-1, at least!

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He was great that season for Hull, which probably explains why Bruce brought him here.

It seems that his injury has really affected him, though.

Whether we ever see the best of him in a Wednesday shirt remains to be seen, but it's looking unlikely at this point.

Having said that, I do think some of the criticism of him is way wide of the mark. He's regularly singled out for criticism by some on here, despite having a reasonable game for what he is: a backup squad option. 

I think he was a disaster waiting to happen for much of his first season but this season I think the criticism is wide of the mark. He's been much better, last Saturday he was very good. Overall he has been worth his place in the team. I'm hoping he will go from strength to strength and show us just how good he can be.

Any criticism of his failure to deal with Toney at corners yesterday should be directed at the coaching team. He should never have been expected to cope with a striker of that quality.

I know he is a favourite boo boy for a lot of fans, I'd just ask them to look at each game he plays and judge on that,  not on last seasons performances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakes Grandad said:

At the time I just thought Toney out muscled him. Odubajo was not strong enough. After watching it again nothings changed my mind. How tall they are was not the problem.

It was a really good header to be fair 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You seem quite angry about this for some reason.

I agree, Odubajo is now an average defender. Once we have our first choice defenders back, I imagine he'll be back on the bench. For now, it's probably a matter of needs must while we endure the latest injury crisis.

Interesting aside: it turns out Bruce once played Odubajo as a central defender against Man City. They kept it down to 4-1, at least!

:duntmatter:

I'm angry when a manager plays a wingback at cb when a perfectly suitable cb is sat on the bench 

Wasn't that long ago monk said moses was not his plans 

Square pegs in round holes 

Makes zero sense, so yes I'm angry 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

I'm angry when a manager plays a wingback at cb when a perfectly suitable cb is sat on the bench 

Wasn't that long ago monk said moses was not his plans 

Square pegs in round holes 

Makes zero sense, so yes I'm angry 

Fair enough.

As I said earlier, I can see the logic of using Odubajo's pace against Brentford's fast and skilful attack, rather than the slower and more cumbersome Börner.

I suspect whichever one had played, they'd have exposed their weakness at some point. During open play, Odubajo did okay. Unfortunately, he got exposed from their corner. We'll never know of course, but Börner may not have fared any better over the 90 minutes.

We'll always have different opinions on here, which is what makes for a discussion forum, but I can see the logic in what we went with, so I'm not angry about it.

3 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Toney = 1.79m tall

Odubajo = 1.78m tall

Yeah can't see any reason why Odubajo was marking him...

Such a dumb thread!

Because Toney is their main threat in the box nothing to do with height............dumb thread??....why reply....goodnight.

4 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Injuries don't stop defensive responsibility 

It thought Lees was easy to get past til I saw moses

The blokes a car crash 

He started sprouting **** on tw@tter about how fans negativaty in the stadium was causing him and his teammates performances to suffer 

Well no fans for 6 months and his performances continue to be well below average, so what's the excuse now? 

Face it, he is a very average defender who has no place in this team never mind playing cb, a position he has never played 

Monk and moses have to take responsibility for his car crash efforts 

Where the eff is the neg button? I hardly ever used it, maybe twice, but... blimey!

Injuries don't stop defensive responsibility Eh?

It thought Lees was easy to get past til I saw moses Bizarre

The blokes a car crash Not really.

He started sprouting **** on tw@tter about how fans negativaty in the stadium was causing him and his teammates performances to suffer No. He. didn't.

Well no fans for 6 months and his performances continue to be well below average, so what's the excuse now? A half reasonable question.

Monk and moses have to take responsibility for his car crash efforts To be fair, worth talking about. Maybe not a neg 🙂 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I guess, as one of the centre backs, that was his job. Our other two centre backs, appeared to be marking their defenders who had come up for the corner (where was Paterson) The real question is, why was Odubajo playing at centre back, not least when we had Palmer and Borner, both better defenders, available

Agree,pointless pointing to one player,but i never feel comfortable myself when he is playing...prefer Borner

Its monks fault imo, cant ask a smaller and much weaker player to deal with their main goal threat at set pieces.

This is a common theme too, moses marked a bigger/stronger player vs qpr and nearly cost a pen as he couldnt handle him, we got away with it, the warning was there.

Again its just not very bright management and it cost another point added to the dozens lost from late goals.

Not moses' fault, not a cb, silly to pretend he can perform all of that role like iorfa naturally does, bar offering pace.

Perhaps not very bright either to insist on 3 cbs when not having the personnel and then leaving a proper cb on bench too.

• Like 1