Odubajo marking Toney on corner..........why??

Can someone please explain to me why Odubajo was marking Toney for the corner and not Flint.......always thought big for big??............would have thought would maybe have handled it a little better than MO, also sorry to pick on MO why does he insist on giving the ball away so much in easy situations?

• Like 2

I guess, as one of the centre backs, that was his job. Our other two centre backs, appeared to be marking their defenders who had come up for the corner (where was Paterson) The real question is, why was Odubajo playing at centre back, not least when we had Palmer and Borner, both better defenders, available

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 3

I believe Flint was marking one the their big defenders. It was crazy though that Moses was left to mark a player as good as Toney. Personally think it’s time Moses was rested at the weekend, hopefully we will have a couple of players back at the weekend to take his place. Last night imo Palmer or even Borner should have been playing instead of him. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

We got sucked into their tactics on more than one occasion. 
should have just zonal marked and the nearest player attack the ball. 
They moved us around on purpose and isolated Toney with Odubajo only gonna be one outcome then. 
Same with the free kick when the lad came from the back post and should have scored. 
We looked flat footed and outwitted. 
Thought we lost the battle of the coaches too!!

• Like 1

Just now, edwinowl said:

We got sucked into their tactics on more than one occasion. 
should have just zonal marked and the nearest player attack the ball. 
They moved us around on purpose and isolated Toney with Odubajo only gonna be one outcome then. 
Same with the free kick when the lad came from the back post and should have scored. 
We looked flat footed and outwitted. 
Thought we lost the battle of the coaches too!!

That’s probably true, it certainly seemed that they’d done their research on us. Toney is mobile, but you don’t think of him as a major threat in the air, and anyone selected as a centre back, should at least be able to challenge a striker under six foot. As you say, they moved us around at will, and it’s not the first time that has happened in recent weeks. QPR and Bristol City spring to mind. Is it a case of three centre backs not knowing who should be picking up whom? Certainly, rather than shoehorning Odubajo into an alien position, that extra man could have been better utilised further forward? That’s Monk for you, though, he’s hardly Mr adventurous

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Can someone please explain to me why Odubajo was marking Toney for the corner and not Flint.......always thought big for big??............would have thought would maybe have handled it a little better than MO, also sorry to pick on MO why does he insist on giving the ball away so much in easy situations?

Toney isn't big. He's under 6 foot!

The issue isn't that Odubajo lacks the height to challenge Toney in the air; it's that he lacks the defensive nous to make that challenge more often than not.

Having Flint marking him would have left one of Brentford's genuinely tall players with a massive height advantage over Odubajo or whoever else picked them up, though.

It's unfortunate, as beside that moment, I thought Odubajo did okay last night. Unfortunately, many of the players we have are still prone to these kind of lapses, especially those backup options who are drafted in due to our current injury crisis.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The issue isn't that Odubajo lacks the height to challenge Toney in the air; it's that he lacks the defensive nous to make that challenge more often than not.

Having Flint marking him would have left one of Brentford's genuinely tall players with a massive height advantage over Odubajo or whoever else picked them up, though.

It's unfortunate, as beside that moment, I thought Odubajo did okay last night. Unfortunately, many of the players we have are still prone to these kind of lapses, especially those backup options who are drafted in due to our current injury crisis.

He was awful......he is a bad football player......end of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why play someone, who isn’t even defensively sound at full back, in a centre back role? It’s asking for trouble, both Borner and Palmer would have been a better bet, if we had to play a back three. I have no issues with Odubajo in a wing back role, but to operate him as a centre back beggars belief

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spiderman said:

He was awful......he is a bad football player......end of.

Well, that's me convinced!

:duntmatter:

For what it's worth, I thought he played okay overall. Not great, not good even. But okay. Certainly no worse than the majority of his teammates.

Up against one of the best attacks on the division, he did some decent defensive work, putting in a few solid tackles and winning the odd header. Yes, he messed up for their second goal, but that aside, he looked more solid than van Aken to me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Why play someone, who isn’t even defensively sound at full back, in a centre back role? It’s asking for trouble, both Borner and Palmer would have been a better bet, if we had to play a back three. I have no issues with Odubajo in a wing back role, but to operate him as a centre back beggars belief

I don't know. I can only assume that Monk would prefer to play Palmer there, as he's tended to select him ahead of Odubajo there in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if Palmer's still not 100% after his injury and was only on the bench as a last resort.

Börner's a curious case, though - I was his biggest fan for the first half of last season, but he seems to have gone seriously off the boil if his recent appearances are anything to go by. We'll never know of course, but against the pace and trickery of Brentford's frontline, he could easily have been torn to shreds. His aerial dominance wasn't particularly needed last night in open play, so I can see why Odubajo might get the nod due to his pace.

Unfortunately, the one moment where having Börner in for Odubajo would almost certainly have benefitted us led to their winning goal. It'll always be the case with these kind of discussions that we can only guess at the outcome of the alternative course of action, but I suspect we might have been sat here discussing why we went with the clumsy German instead of Odubajo's pace.

Ultimately, the truth is probably that none of our backup options are good enough to contain that Brentford attack over 90 minutes.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I thought Odubajo was a lot smaller thanToney, he looked it on a few shots on my feed. I checked online and there doesn't seem to be much in it, much to my surprise. For the goal I thought Odubajo really tried to keep Toney away from the ball but he just wasn't strong enough. It was a mismatch but not in height, just strength. After seeing that I've no idea why we didn't change Toneys marker, we just did nothing about it and Odubajo struggled all night.

It's not the first time this has happened, in a recent game Harris was marking someone who was a foot taller than him. I can't remember if it cost us a goal but it certainly caused us problems.

The coaches should sort it out in advance as best they can and if a mismatch occurs they should shout changes on to the pitch. At the very least the players should sort it out. Much better to say 'I can't handle him' than to cost us a goal. We could all see the problem.  

• Like 3

Still find it madness that moses has a promotion from this league on his cv 

The blokes a utter disaster 

And the fact monk thought it was clever idea to play a wingback at cb sums up Monk 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

And the fact monk thought it was clever idea to play a wingback at cb sums up Monk 

It sticks in my throat but I actually agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

He was great that season for Hull, which probably explains why Bruce brought him here.

It seems that his injury has really affected him, though.

Whether we ever see the best of him in a Wednesday shirt remains to be seen, but it's looking unlikely at this point.

Having said that, I do think some of the criticism of him is way wide of the mark. He's regularly singled out for criticism by some on here, despite having a reasonable game for what he is: a backup squad option. 

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He was great that season for Hull, which probably explains why Bruce brought him here.

It seems that his injury has really affected him, though.

Whether we ever see the best of him in a Wednesday shirt remains to be seen, but it's looking unlikely at this point.

Having said that, I do think some of the criticism of him is way wide of the mark. He's regularly singled out for criticism by some on here, despite having a reasonable game for what he is: a backup squad option. 

Injuries don't stop defensive responsibility 

It thought Lees was easy to get past til I saw moses

The blokes a car crash 

He started sprouting **** on tw@tter about how fans negativaty in the stadium was causing him and his teammates performances to suffer 

Well no fans for 6 months and his performances continue to be well below average, so what's the excuse now? 

Face it, he is a very average defender who has no place in this team never mind playing cb, a position he has never played 

Monk and moses have to take responsibility for his car crash efforts 

• Like 1