Questionable decisions from Monk

51 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Hunt in a midfield with Bannan and Windass. NO defensive capability against one of the top teams in division. 

Odubajo in a defensive 3 marking a player twice his strength. 

They ripped though us at will in the first half.

Spot on..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Hunt in a midfield with Bannan and Windass. NO defensive capability against one of the top teams in division. 

Absolutely.

I feared this would be the case when I saw the line up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

We just continue with this policy of square pegs in round holes. Borner on the bench should have played instead of Odabajo but the why was Flint not marking Toney. Hunt seem to be playing very deep when he has little or no defensive midfield ability, he is meant to be an attacking midfielder not defensive. If this was the plan then why not start with either Dele or Pelupessy.

I don't like the long throws thing its like playing football when Wimbledon were in the premiership and when Brentford are bigger to a man its just so predicable. Good goal by Paterson but equally missed a few sitters that a striker such as Toney would have buried.

For me last night showed one thing if you have a striker on the pitch and you give him service he scores goals. if you have midfielders playing up front instead of strikers you are going to struggle to win games if you need more than 1 goal. 

There were a lot of positive but equally we are still making the same mistakes at the back we were 40 games ago. Odabajo is not a centre back and got caught out of position so many times luckily we have a very good player in Flint covering a lot for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

I dont wanna slag Monk as Brentford are a good side and I wasnt expecting us to get anything against them .

However you have to question the above. Odubajo IMO had a decent game at the back, but why was he marking Toney from corners ?? If that was Monk he has to take the blame as it was clearly a mismatch.

The midfield I suppose you can kind of understand as playing Pelupessey from the start is never a good idea, and i think it would have been more prudent to put Waldock in over Hunt (Shaw also but he's injured) as he is a diferent type of midfielder more in the Luongo mould but again he's only had one first team game. Tough decision but it didnt work.

Patterson played as the attacking midfielder for the majority of the game with Windass up front which should have given us more steal but we missed Luongo badly. Which is a worry for the future.

We played better football in the first half when the midfielders pushed forward. Unfortunately this left too large a gap between the midfield & the back line leaving our defence exposed. We rectified this at half time but then we had too big a gap between midfield & the forward line, hence too much hoof ball.

• Like 1

same old problems for me last night

the quality in the final third was just not there. there was only one real occasion that we managed to get the ball out wide and produced any kind of quality. the rest of the time the cross were either over hit or didn't get past the first man. it's basics and something that players playing championship football should be able to do

we all moan about the strikers and there poor goal return but when we were chasing a game at home in the second half last night Brentford's keeper might as well taken out his deckchair and newspaper in the second half for the work he had to do 

53 minutes ago, mogbad said:

We played better football in the first half when the midfielders pushed forward. Unfortunately this left too large a gap between the midfield & the back line leaving our defence exposed. We rectified this at half time but then we had too big a gap between midfield & the forward line, hence too much hoof ball.

Good observations and succinctly put.

• Thanks 1

Poor team selections and substitutions have been common place throughout his reign. This home run is arguably as bad as we have ever had? He’s still in the job because of the pandemic, I don’t see how you can dress it up any other way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The midfield I suppose you can kind of understand as playing Pelupessey from the start is never a good idea, and i think it would have been more prudent to put Waldock in over Hunt (Shaw also but he's injured) as he is a diferent type of midfielder more in the Luongo mould but again he's only had one first team game. Tough decision but it didnt work.

With the midfield players that were available last night Pelupessy should have started. He's better than Hunt simples.

Another bizarre decision by the manager.

This thread is a little harsh on the manager.

We scored a good goal from open play, and had several other good opportunities to do something inc the Reach chance.  We dont score many , but could have scored 1 , maybe 2 more last night.  

The goals conceded were not goals conceded due to formation or tactics.  The first, the goalie parries out to their player.  All goalies make mistakes.  You only need to look at Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, everton with very expensive goalies who have made more mistakes than ours this season.  The second is a set play well executed from the opposition with a high quality striker.  

Our own set plays were poor which really impacted us (again).  That is an execution, not a preparation , issue.  

• Like 3

I don’t necessarily disagree with the OP, but I don’t think the set up or approach was actually that bad

Had Dawson done his job and Monk made 1 or 2 more logical subs then I think we’d have got at least a point

Sure - we can pick holes and say it was a bit silly to start Hunt, but we have no idea how JP would have played from the start

It was a decent performance IMO, and Monk deserves some credit for that

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think there are some fans who just love nothing more than having a pop at the Sheffield Wednesday manager?

Yeah, obviously. And will focus on the manager rather than the bigger problems at the club (recruitment, owner)

You wouldn't have a forum if they didn't lol