Keep calm.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

After a narrow win to Birmingham some people were saying outsiders for the play offs.
A narrow defeat to Brentford and its back to people saying sack Monk.
Think a lot of this is just attention seeking on social media forums.

I tried to tell them!

:duntmatter:

On 20/10/2020 at 11:22, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The likes of Brentford, Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea, Stoke, Forest, Bristol City etc. look better-equipped than us, and certainly not the kind of teams we can expect to better by 12 points or more.

I think we've recruited really well for the circumstances we're in on a shoestring budget, but staying up from where we started shouldn't be underestimated. Hopefully we have enough to do so and we can push on from there. Talk of the playoffs is way too premature, though.

Maybe I'm wrong and we actually are a top-six quality squad, but I'm just not seeing it, to be honest. Of course, anything can happen in football, and we won't know how the squad might gel or how the table is going to pan out for a while yet. 

It's only a few days ago I was having to point out to several posters that although our points per game stood at 1.25, which would see us relegated in an average Championship season, a win against Birmingham would see that shoot up to 1.6 points per game, which is much healthier.

Now that we've done that, I find myself counselling calm from another bunch of posters who reckon we might reach the playoffs!

Yes, if we take four points from our next two game that will be fantastic, but that's certainly not a given. If we take one point, then we'll be on track to finish on 47 points, which may well see us relegated.

It's simply too early to start extrapolating our points per game across the whole season.

5 hours ago, slinger208b said:

I completely disagree.

I believe the price of fish is inversely proportionate to the flooding of Niagara falls...

I was expecting you to argue for why what we say on here makes any difference to how the team does. Even a feeble argument would at least have been something. But you can't even do that, you just ‘disagree’.

• Like 1

I like this thread, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

interesting that Adrian Clarke on the totally football league show basically said we will be absolutely fine this season because we have signed excellent players. Really good pundit who watches more championship games than most, is completely unbiased and I totally agree with him 

Win 15 draw 15 lose 16 and we are safe so basically keep on doing what we have done so far, won 2 drawn 2 lost 2.

I actually think we will be inconsistent all season but have the players to ensure we don't have a dramatic drop off in the run in.

No drama from me, I like the business we have done, it won't be pretty but let's just get this season out of the way as a championship club.

12 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Totally agree.

In fact I'm getting fed up with the torrent of negativity every time we drop points.

For some reason, there is a section of our fan base which apparently demands we win every game in dominant fashion and finds fault every time we don't.

We are, at best, a mid-table team. Yesterday, we lost by the odd goal to one of the best teams in the league. It's going to happen, get over it it.  This season is going to be scrap, and games like QPR and Brum are going to be the norm. That's the level we're at, and people need to get used to it.

Not saying I agree with it but most people are just fed up with our shambolic home record for 2020, regardless of the opposition. Every home game we lose this season feels disastrous, even if there are obvious reasons for optimism. At the end of the day, results determine how fans feel. 

11 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

For some reason, there is a section of our fan base which apparently demands we win every game in dominant fashion and finds fault every time we don't.

I think this is unfair. The problem is the manner in which we lose. Look at last night for instance. 
The opposition striker says in his post-match interview that they’d worked on the fact our goalkeeper routinely pushes shots back into play. Our manager has been unable to solve our goalkeeping problems in over a year. 
We play against the division’s top goal scorer and our manager chooses to mark him with our least effective defender and doesn’t even change that tactic at halftime after said top scorer has bagged two. 
We play arguably the best team in the division and our manager chooses to pair Bannan and Hunt in midfield. Our 2 least effective “destroyers”. A mistake he has to rectify at half-time. 
It’s not a case of knee-jerk reaction to a win or a loss, it’s the increasingly worrying decisions, tactics and manner of performance. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cowl said:

I was expecting you to argue for why what we say on here makes any difference to how the team does. Even a feeble argument would at least have been something. But you can't even do that, you just ‘disagree’.

I explained why I didn't agree.

Figured it was on par with the drivel you posted and edited to suit...

16 hours ago, slinger208b said:

I explained why I didn't agree.

Figured it was on par with the drivel you posted and edited to suit...

As per usual, you explained nothing.

Just a sentence, sometimes two with the final one ending in an ellipsis, inserted so as to hint that there's more (and that it's reyt clever), when in reality there's nothing.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 08:50, striker said:

It's the nature of internet forums. When we win, the players are world-beaters, the manager is a genius.....when we lose (or even draw sometimes) everyone is crap, there is discussion over who we should sign to replace those same players and digs at the manager. 

Not our best performance last night, not our worst either, lost to the better team in all honesty on the balance of play. We weren't far off though and without injuries may have been more competitive.

I'd be interested in knowing the age of those who always moan when things don't go our way. Is it the older generation or the younger "I want it now" generation. 

I've seen us through the good times of Hirst, Waddles and co, and also with the not so good Beswetherick and co.

If you think this is bad then you have either forgotten the bad times or weren't born/old enough to remember them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I think this is unfair. The problem is the manner in which we lose. Look at last night for instance. 
The opposition striker says in his post-match interview that they’d worked on the fact our goalkeeper routinely pushes shots back into play. Our manager has been unable to solve our goalkeeping problems in over a year. 
We play against the division’s top goal scorer and our manager chooses to mark him with our least effective defender and doesn’t even change that tactic at halftime after said top scorer has bagged two. 
We play arguably the best team in the division and our manager chooses to pair Bannan and Hunt in midfield. Our 2 least effective “destroyers”. A mistake he has to rectify at half-time. 
It’s not a case of knee-jerk reaction to a win or a loss, it’s the increasingly worrying decisions, tactics and manner of performance. 

Not having ago, who would you have put in?

2 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

I'd be interested in knowing the age of those who always moan when things don't go our way. Is it the older generation or the younger "I want it now" generation. 

I've seen us through the good times of Hirst, Waddles and co, and also with the not so good Beswetherick and co.

If you think this is bad then you have either forgotten the bad times or weren't born/old enough to remember them. 

Maybe, but maybe us of the Jack Charlton, Wilkinson era moving to the Waddle generation were spoiled a bit. I started going in the early 80's, like moaning as much as the next person, but maybe age has made me more pragmatic.

Like you say, there have been way more depressing times to be a wednesdayite than currently. I do remember those bad times vividly (unfortunately).

• Like 1

Funny phrase to use 'keep calm', when everything about the club screams 'chaos'. 

The way we handle senior disruptive players, general finances around the club, merchandise and commercial aspects of the club, players contracts, new signings, manager recruitment, team selection... the list goes on. But it's all incredibly chaotic. 

Wouldn't it be nice of things were just a bit calmer at our club.

• Like 2

Asking people to keep calm on here after a defeat is like trying to herd cats!

For some reason too many fans go totally mental and lose the plot completely.

The reality of the situation is simple, we are one of 24 clubs trying to do the same thing, survive or get promoted but we are severely handicapped this season due to reckless spending previously. Not only do we have a relatively weak squad, but we also have the 12 point deficit to make up.

Merely surviving this season as a Championship club is going to be a decent result.

We need to modify our expectations and cut the management team some slack.

8 hours ago, jp1981 said:

Not having ago, who would you have put in?

As a more direct replacement for Luongo I would have preferred Dele-Bashiru, Palmer or Joey. All give a stronger and more athletic option than Hunt. By the way I rate Hunt and think he has half a chance of making a decent player but as competition for Bannan, not to play alongside him 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

As a more direct replacement for Luongo I would have preferred Dele-Bashiru, Palmer or Joey. All give a stronger and more athletic option than Hunt. By the way I rate Hunt and think he has half a chance of making a decent player but as competition for Bannan, not to play alongside him 

I'd go with that. The problem then is you would get some fans who weren't happy with that then saying he should have played Hunt. Especially if Joey had started. 

You just can't win as a manager. 

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

I'd go with that. The problem then is you would get some fans who weren't happy with that then saying he should have played Hunt. Especially if Joey had started. 

You just can't win as a manager. 

True. Monk has a difficult job but he isn’t helping himself. Square pegs in round holes; “Inverted wing-backs” when the whole point of wing-backs is to offer width; tactics that defy reasonable football logic (eg Moses to mark Toney). I am of the opinion that Monk is part of the problem not part of the solution. 

• Like 1