Keep calm.

Neither panicking nor angry about yesterday's defeat, but I'm disappointed in how the game panned out and the decisions we make at times - as already mentioned in the OMDT.

Away to Birmingham we played with urgency and some determination to our passing game going forward. That was lacking last night, even though we at times put good pressure on Brentford. We just didn't manage to get through as much, and possibly because Brentford are probably one of the best sides in this division.

Last night I was disappointed how Reach was so switched off he lost the ball and his first reaction wasn't immediately to turn and fight to get it back, he just sort of looked lost. And some of his crosses or passes were just dire.

Also - Dawson had a free kick far up the pitch towards the end of the game, we've got a chance with a lot of players up near their 18-yard line, but he ******** launches it over everyone and into Raya's hands... no pressure! That's just not good enough.

And generally just being more up for it collectively, last night we tried to maintain a pressure high in the pitch but if they can simply pass out to the side to an unpressed man because one of ours doesn't immediately go straight up to pressure him, it folds like a house of cards and they cut straight through our upper line.

Or even the one time their right back had it and Bannan goes up to pressure him, but he just sort of stood at 6-7 feet away and suddenly he made a defence-splitting long pass over all our players that Silva ran onto... credit to Reach there for sprinting back to deny him and any pass through to Toney who was almost through on goal there too.

A lot of good talking points too in the match, but those are a few things that happen a bit too often these days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

No we don’t. 9 points from next 3 games would see us form wise being 3-4th in the league and would probably see us out of the relegation zone. Unrealistic to expect us to pull back -12 and be out of the relegation zone in 9 games. 

Games aren't evenly distributed across the season so these are the ones that we need to target. Winning those would put us 3-4th in the league temporarily which is only a snapshot and therefore not accurate to assess against. You need to take advantage of these kind of games because in the other fixtures you may go the next 4 and not get a point. That's why I've always said review where we are after 12 games (roughly a quarter of the season) and when those 12 fixtures can be reviewed as a group but these next 3 are part of that and out of all those 12 are, for me, the most ciritical.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

After a narrow win to Birmingham some people were saying outsiders for the play offs.
A narrow defeat to Brentford and its back to people saying sack Monk.
Think a lot of this is just attention seeking on social media forums.

Always been the case here with a lot of posters - we're either world beaters or trash.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

After a narrow win to Birmingham some people were saying outsiders for the play offs.
A narrow defeat to Brentford and its back to people saying sack Monk.
Think a lot of this is just attention seeking on social media forums.

People just need to calm themselves. We could be in a position where 4 points from the next 2 games, we could be above Wycombe heading into game on goal difference. That should be the short term aim and would be something for this team to achieve. 

14 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Fair question - I'd be a d!ck and answer with my own question! 

Which teams are more successful, those where the fans are behind the team, or ones where everybody is panicking and slating them? 

Are the fans at the games in either scenario?

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Easier said than done I know. 

The players are giving their all.

We can still improve - there are signs of that. 

We have some new players that are still getting used to being here, never mind playing consecutive games. 

Try not to panic after a defeat. 

Against a worse team yesterday we would have won. We were always up against it and showed great commitment. 

We still have things to sort out, that I think will change gradually. 

I agree with this 100%.

Monk out.

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

We have done quite well considering how thin our squad still is. We have some very important games ahead and they will show our true colours. I'm not making any quick assumptions before them.

Exactly this. Make the assessment after 10 to 12 games. The next set of fixtures that complete that sample are:

Luton

Rotherham United

Wycombe

Bournemouth

Millwall

Preston North End

If after those we are on +5 points then that will put us around 65 points for the season (or 53 taking the 12 point penalty) which puts us above the drop with a little breathing space (statistically). Personally, I don't think we'll get any points in those last 3 fixtures which is why I think we need the points (all 9 to hit +5) from those top three fixtures. If others think we won't get all 9 from those but will make up for it with points from the other three then that's great; we end up in the same place - positive points after 12 games (around the +5 mark) which means that form extended over the season and we're safe. Obviously still a smaller sample than a full season but its better than the swing mentality after each game.

• Like 1

The only problem with all these people who love to project this 'wise old head' routine, full of 'don't panic' things 'will improve' etc etc etc is that they only thrive when a team is totally crap and they can trot out their soporific nonsense week after week. Well here is the good news for that section of our fanbase, you will have plenty of opportunities in the coming months to give us the old routine. Like the lookout on the Titanic, 'I've seen more ice in a cocktail glass' How did that work out?

Edited by swissmess
  • Like 1

Decent performance against a team who'll be right there for automatic, and that's with us missing at least 3 absolutely key players (Iorfa, Luongo, Brown) that's your spine right there. Not to mention Lees who's been solid this season. I'd have fancied at least a point if we'd been full strength.

Nine points from the next 3 games would be great but its unlikely, particularly with the injuries. It's more important we dont lose any of them. Five points won't be a bad return. We've got to keep slowly chipping away at the deficit, hope we don't have long term injuries and allow the new players to settle in. We're going to lose games against the better sides and need to be realistic with the situation we're in. As long as we compete, which we have in every game so far, we should have enough to stay up. 

32 minutes ago, swissmess said:

The only problem with all these people who love to project this 'wise old head' routine, full of 'don't panic' things 'will improve' etc etc etc is that they only thrive when a team is totally crap and they can trot out their soporific nonsense week after week. Well here is the good news for that section of our fanbase, you will have plenty of opportunities in the coming months to give us the old routine. Like the lookout on the Titanic, 'I've seen more ice in a cocktail glass' How did that work out?

:bullen:

1 hour ago, bdmfournil said:

I think the game highlighted how much we missed Luongo

I was thinking similar. Not just Luongo either. I’m not sure Toney gets his second goal if Iorfa or Lees is marking him. We missed Brown to a degree too. 

Essentially, you could argue that we were missing 4 of our best players. With that context, I can’t be too critical of the performance or result.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowl said:

:biggrin: I'll try again...

The read my first line as “What difference does it make whether we keep calm or not?”, and my point still stands.

I completely disagree.

I believe the price of fish is inversely proportionate to the flooding of Niagara falls...