• Marriott
    • Paterson
    • Hunt
    • Pelupessy
    • Rhodes
    • Deli-Bashiru

image.png.3f8e39d230f34d1a6c129aa755d88430.png

image.png.1a73c7fc004bb5b8c1f9782465c33f14.png

Well, always going to be a tough one. What a blow losing the lad Luongo was though. Plays out of his skin Saturday...missing Wednesday.

Luongo, Iorfa and Brown would be losses for any side. Hopefully all not too far away.

Workmanlike, and we got that first half goal at last. Wooooooo!

In the end two from the divisions inform hit-man was in enough.

Draw would have been a god result.

We didn't quite have enough. 

That's going to happen. 

Games against sides who'll be finishing in the upper echelons of the division aren't the games that will decide our season though.

Games against those about are the real must haves. Starting with Luton and Rotherham

Must wins in terms of the season as whole. 

• Like 2

A draw would have been a good result.

There are always mitigating factors, always positives to be taken.

That said, our home form is becoming a scandal in its own right and it’s enough in itself to put any team introble.

I can’t help thinking that come the seasons end we will still be ruing the absentee players and pacifying ourselves with a handful of positives. Against a background of relegation.

• Like 2

Thought Odubajo had another good game. Bad call to put him on Toney for corners, but he was excellent throughout and much improved. 

Bannan had a couple of good spells and worked as hard as ever.

Badly missed 4 players - Lees, Iorfa , Brown , Luongo.

As for Dunkley - who knows 

• Like 3

Dawson 4 - Didnt do his job when required 

Odubajo 6 - felt a bit for him, seems a complete mismatch but kept at it and generally restricted Toney in open play at least 

Flint 6 - was ok, passed the ball a little more effectively tonight

Van Aken 5 - Positionally bad all night. Cowardly on the ball too

Hunt 2 - oh lord, that was awful

Bannan 7 - yet again our only consistent creative force. One of only a few who looked like they could compete

Windass 5 - a bit like last season where it wasn’t really clear what his role was

Harris 5 - performance generally poorer than usual, crossing better than usual 

Reach 7 - delivery not as reliable as usual, but created some moments. Strong defensively 

Marriott 6 - just grafted really. Kind of like Jordan Rhodes but with physicality 

Paterson 8 - I like him. Battering RAM all night, great header. Good CF performance 

I enjoyed tonight, I thought it was actually a decent enough performances we were hamstrung by poor goalkeeping and then just as we built up momentum Monk made a couple of very questionable substitutions 

All in all leaves me with a bit of a ‘what could have been’ feeling

Dawson    -   5 -    One decent save first half but to blame for the first with a familiar error.......proving to be a very inconsistent keeper.

Odubajo    -    6 -     Stuck at it manfully but he aint a central defender and never will be ..............and whoever on the coaching staff designated him to play there AND mark their one out and out central striker should be docked his pay.

Flint   -   6  -   Quiet game really , was hoping he would win more in the air at set pieces.

Van Aken    -   5  -   One or two decent passes out but still looks a huge defensive liability to me.......doesnt seem to sense danger at all.

Harris   -   6  -   Stuck at it , lovely cross for goal , but too often fails with final pass.

Bannan    -    6.5 -   The usual mixture we have become used to , some great passes , some poor

Hunt   -   5  -   I am going to cut him a bit of slack here as he aint ready to play in a midfield 2 against a side of Brentfords quality

Reach   -   6   -   decent first half , poor second

Windass   -   4   -   Not really sure what position he was supposed to be playing , but whatever it was he made a poor fist of it tonight

Paterson   -   6.5   -   Probably just scrapes MOM , good goal and a real battling effort , if a little short on quality

Marriott   -   4   -   Feeding off scraps , but still didnt do much , would like to see him play centrally rather than wide.

SUBS

Pelupessy    -    4    Really cant believe he is still turning out for us. has the uncanny knack of being half a yard behind play at all times

Dele-Bashiru   -   4   Had no impact at all.

Rhodes   N/A  -  Impossible to grade as he never touched the ball :rolleyes:

OVERALL

First things first , we pushed them harder than i thought we would and in all fairness we were missing 3 or 4 key players.

We still lack an identity and resort to hoofball too quickly......however i couldnt fault the effort and if we can field a full strength side more often than not , then we probably have just enough to survive.

Not piling on Monk and his staff , just calling tonight as i saw it, but we got our shape , tactics and substitutions wrong tonight (two in central midfield , Odubajo in central defence etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Think a lot of people are being very harsh on Hunt. He was played in a midfield 2ish with bannan and that was just never going to work. I honestly don't think we'll see the best of hunt until bannans not in the side, probably be decent with Luongo sitting deep between them but never with Windass playing in front of them or brown for that matter. 

By the way I'm not saying drop bannan. 

• Like 2

I thought Pellupessy did well when he came on. The end of the first half they where pouring through our midfield.

Hunt decent on the ball, lost without it. Still a promising player probably best to blood him against teams where we will see more of the ball.

Van Aken was positionally poor tonight often Bannan was in the defensive line covering him.

Patterson did well but the game completely passed Windass and Marriott by. 

We did ok and had some decent spells against a very good side but my god we lack any real attacking quality. With the exception of the Harris ball for the goal I don’t remember us really threatening them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Dawson    -   5 -    One decent save first half but to blame for the first with a familiar error.......proving to be a very inconsistent keeper.

Odubajo    -    6 -     Stuck at it manfully but he aint a central defender and never will be ..............and whoever on the coaching staff designated him to play there AND mark their one out and out central striker should be docked his pay.

Flint   -   6  -   Quiet game really , was hoping he would win more in the air at set pieces.

Van Aken    -   5  -   One or two decent passes out but still looks a huge defensive liability to me.......doesnt seem to sense danger at all.

Harris   -   6  -   Stuck at it , lovely cross for goal , but too often fails with final pass.

Bannan    -    6.5 -   The usual mixture we have become used to , some great passes , some poor

Hunt   -   5  -   I am going to cut him a bit of slack here as he aint ready to play in a midfield 2 against a side of Brentfords quality

Windass   -   4   -   Not really sure what position he was supposed to be playing , but whatever it was he made a poor fist of it tonight

Paterson   -   6.5   -   Probably just scrapes MOM , good goal and a real battling effort , if a little short on quality

Marriott   -   4   -   Feeding off scraps , but still didnt do much , would like to see him play centrally rather than wide.

SUBS

Pelupessy    -    4    Really cant believe he is still turning out for us. has the uncanny knack of being half a yard behind play at all times

OVERALL

First things first , we pushed them harder than i thought we would and in all fairness we were missing 3 or 4 key players.

We still lack an identity and resort to hoofball too quickly......however i couldnt fault the effort and if we can field a full strength side more often than not , then we probably have just enough to survive.

Not piling on Monk and his staff , just calling tonight as i saw it, but we got our shape , tactics and substitutions wrong tonight (two in central midfield , Odubajo in central defence etc)

Think Monk gets out of jail due to the injuries we have but not convinced of his tactics and selections, next 3 games will tell us a story, cant fault last nights effort but we were outclassed and it shows how far off we are.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

SUBS

OVERALL

Think this is pretty spot on, did our best against a better side and would likely have got a point BUT

Monk cost us again imo with another very unbright idea that a tiny weak full back can mark a tall strong goal threat at set pieces.

Learn from mistakes, vs qpr and likely other games moses can not mark big players at set pieces, just because he's being made to play cb, does not mean he can do that job.

Any fan can see it so not sure why anybody at any level in the game can't see it.

Also dawson needs to learn to parry it away.

Harris great assist, a rare peach of a cross shows he's better on right

Unconvinced we had players for 3 cb's, would have been tempted to go 4411 2nd half after it became clear we were lacking much threat after the school boy corner winner.

• Like 1

Think we played OK yesterday. Brentford are a great side and we are a side with no way near the quality they have. However what I do like with us is the desire to try and not give up - as relegation battlers this should hold us in a good way for the fight.  

But this leads me to question our tactics with seemingly no CDM. Hunt is far too inexperienced to play in this kind of game - what is Monk thinking? This sort of game can break a young player breaking into a team especially with our circumstance. Can't believe I am calling for Pelupessy to play but this would have helped us IMO. 

Dawson seems to make this error far too many times. Massive weakness for him - would be interesting to see if this is being worked on in training - would have to assume it is. 

Marriot is settling but can't remember a decent time on the ball from him. 

Paterson will be a fans favourite. The determination he shows is something fans love to see. 

We had key players out but are we going to use this excuse all season? With games coming as they are we will have key players out for most of our matches. We need to get used to this and not use as an excuse. Other teams will have the same issues. 

• Like 1

A tough opponent Brentford but I hope we will learn some good lessons when the team and coaches analyse the game.

We improved in the second half just by putting a defensive midfielder on and adding a bit of physicality in Bashiru.

Brentfords first half movement through midfield was stifled by these two. Harris needs to play on the right.

Oddubajo is a good wing back, an average full back and a poor centre back. I don’t believe we would have conceded the second goal if we were able to play either Lees Dunkley or Iorfa last night.

On last nights showing Brentford look the best in the Championship. Taking them on with a makeshift defence and midfield was always going to be difficult, but we fought to the end.

Not the end of the world but we need Iorfa,/Lees,Luongo, and Brown back for Saturday plus Dunkley and Shaw for cover when fit.

• Like 1