Pelupessy made a difference when he came on

1 minute ago, paddyowl said:

He's gone from an attacking, forward thinking player to a nervous, negative player, the amount of times he played the ball backwards when he could have either run with the ball or made a forward pass was astounding, I was probably watching a different match.garymegson

We are a nervous, negative team which mirrors the managers tactics.

44 minutes ago, 360wiseowl said:

Disagree. Joey made a difference when he came on. Hunt tried but basically he was Bannans shadow. It doesn’t work playing those two together. 

I haven’t seen a game where Pelupessy has added anything at all. But if you have then that’s ok...I can’t recall any game changing appearances.

Guest wilyfox

Now we will pay the price for not replacing Hutchinson. No decent cover in that position. No idea if we’ve maxed out our budget or not, but right now I’d suggest we make a play for Jackson Irvine. 

I was quietly confident during yesterday that we would get something from that game but that fell away quite rapidly when I saw the lineup. To my mind Hunt should be a back up option for Bannan/Brown while Pelupessy should be the backup for Luongo. Pelupessy may lack attacking ability but his natural inclination is to close space and chase opposition players down and I expect he would have at least got nearer to Dalsgaard than Bannan/Hunt did for the first goal. 

One thing that does concern me with Monk is the decisions he makes around cover for unavailable players which is something that Wilder did so well with them lot when they got promoted from the championship. They played a very rigid system and when a player was unavailable he would select the closest equivalent to fill in rather than playing a potentially better quality player out of position; allowing the rest of the team to continue in their shape as normal. Monk just seems to have a tendency to try and shoehorn players into roles where they don't look comfortable which then has a residual effect on the rest of the team. Brentford looked a decent side and we may have struggled to get something out of it regardless of lineup, but to essentially play a midfield 2 with no real cover for an already patched-up defence against such a strong attacking side was suicidal. 

As a few others have suggested, given Luongo's injury problems to date; a free agent such as Kevin Stewart (or similar) could be very useful to add some more depth in what seems such a crucial position for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1