Ivan Toney

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Toney will be worth 40m in no time

Something confused me in the Sky commentary. They said £10m buys you an Ivan Toney, i.e. strong, pacey, mobile forward capable of scoring goals at the championship level, however it seems I was suffering from a misapprehension all this time as I thought all it got you was Jordan Rhodes?

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Seriously guys, some of you need to get a grip on reality.  We are a lower half Championship team, we aren't going to be signing Manuel Neuer or Alison Becker any time soon.  And more to the point, you show me a keeper who doesn't make the odd mistake and I'll show you a computer game.

Could Dawson have done better with that shot, perhaps a little.  Was it a complete howler?  No.

Christ I'm old enough to remember us having the England goalkeeper and he threw one in his own net in a cup final!

Owlstalk and reality dont go together in many cases sadly. Good post.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

If he’s 5’10 then Moses is 5’7 at most

He’s 179cm which is 5”10

Moses is probably slightly taller but has no idea how to defend a set piece 

Height didn’t come into the goal last night, sheer power and awareness did 

• Like 2

Thought we competed and that’s all... but when you take into account who we had missing and who we were playing didn’t expect anything before ko. Toney is ideal for the way they play , they have been using the same system scouts for something like 4/5 yrs? Doesn’t matter who the manager is it all continues on. They have some of the best scouts around ( proven by who they buy and sell on) also benefits by their location they pick up the bigger clubs cast offs . They have got themselves into this position through a plan and whoever is in charge of that could do with kidnapping him and getting him/ her up m1 pronto!!!! Be quite a while till we in a position to go spend that money again unfortunately 

4 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

£10m*

Hello, folks.

Just to elaborate, the Posh owner has confirmed that the fee for Toney was £6m guaranteed (possibly payable in installments?)

Add-ons were + £1m if leading Championship scorer + £1m if Bees go up + £1m if we stay up + 10% of any transfer profit sell-on.

Anyhow, good luck for the rest of the season - the Championship always benefits from clubs like yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What a fantastic recruitment set up Brentford have. Success after success. 

People will say Toney wasn't cheap but they've clearly done their homework on him and no doubt he will be yet another shrewd investment. Not to mention he was only a fraction of the cost of the money they brought in for Watkins.

When you see how other clubs are run it just makes you realise what a joke our entire set up is. Pretty much from top to bottom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

What a fantastic recruitment set up Brentford have. Success after success. 

People will say Toney wasn't cheap but they've clearly done their homework on him and no doubt he will be yet another shrewd investment. Not to mention he was only a fraction of the cost of the money they brought in for Watkins.

When you see how other clubs are run it just makes you realise what a joke our entire set up is. Pretty much from top to bottom.

Been shrewd for years and years .. complete contrast to our previous recruitment when DC and whoever took charge #shitshow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Wish we could spot players like Toney or Watkins, etc early in in their careers before their value sky rockets. Said it during the window, that we should have taken a punt on someone like Tristan Abrahams at Newport, by the time of the next window his value might have risen. 

This - when it comes to players like Toney we need to be like Peterborough not Brentford. We haven't got Brentford's cash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Lets face it, with Iorfa marking him Toney would not have got a kick.  A full strength team with Iorfa, Brown and Luongo could easily have beaten that lot last night.    

Have to see how many games Luongo and brown manage to play together over the full season.

11 hours ago, NewBee said:

Hello, folks.

Just to elaborate, the Posh owner has confirmed that the fee for Toney was £6m guaranteed (possibly payable in installments?)

Add-ons were + £1m if leading Championship scorer + £1m if Bees go up + £1m if we stay up + 10% of any transfer profit sell-on.

Anyhow, good luck for the rest of the season - the Championship always benefits from clubs like yours.

True, usually to the tune of at least 60 points per season! 😭

Tired of this dawson bashing.  Hes not a great keeper nor is his he a crap keeper. Someone posted on here the other day that dawson is the least of our worries and I tend to agree.  

Had our squad been settled and we are looking to refine here and there then absolutely look for a better keeper but we aren't in that position so we can't.

How he got slagged off for the bristol first goal is beyond me, some people just have an agenda to hound out certain players and its sad.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We need a plan. Not brentfords,ours. Spotting players in league 1+2 is not that hard but you have to have patience with them. Plenty of clubs manage to unearth gems. French second division also.I've nothing against marriot or paterson but they don't have potential. Maybe this season is understandable but how many other years? Tragic recruitment

6 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Tired of this dawson bashing.  Hes not a great keeper nor is his he a crap keeper. Someone posted on here the other day that dawson is the least of our worries and I tend to agree.  

Had our squad been settled and we are looking to refine here and there then absolutely look for a better keeper but we aren't in that position so we can't.

How he got slagged off for the bristol first goal is beyond me, some people just have an agenda to hound out certain players and its sad.

I agree however he needs to improve quickly. I don't remember pressman at a similar age making as many errors