WEDNESDAY - V- BRENTFORD omdt

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

We beat Birmingham, what’s your point. They were the best team we’ve played this season by far.

A team we’ve played without four of our better players. A centre half with only his second game. A wing back playing centre half. An Academy product replacing our best player this season. A front 2 that have never played together, one of them his first game for us and his first start for months.

Both Sky panelist’s think we are a decent side and will be okay. All Sky commentators praised Monk for his tactical changes at half time.

A bit of perspective and a reality check is needed.

Brentford are far in front of us In their development as a team and we’re losing finalists last year. Oh and a little thing of a striker that cost approx 5 times more than our whole starting eleven. 

Lost count the number of the times Monk has cost us by starting with the wrong players and having to change it at half time because it's not working and we're getting beat.

It was obvious to most when seeing the line up that Hunt and Bannan as a midfield two was far too lightweight and would struggle.

I'm afraid with Hunt it was men against boys and while not a world beater, Pelupessy helped shore the midfield up and we at least drew the 2nd half.

JP should have started, massive mistake by the manager.

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

A wing back playing centre half. An Academy product replacing our best player this season. A front 2 that have never played together, one of them his first game for us and his first start for months.

This all didn’t happen by magic or as a result of some cruel twist of fate.

Monk chose to play Moses at centre half. He had (in my opinion much better options): Borner, Patterson, or switch to a back four. 
Monk chose to select Hunt alongside Bannan. He had options (in my opinion much better) options: Joey, Fizzy, Palmer.  

Monk chose to start with a front 2 that have never played together against one of the leagues best teams. He had options. The manager must take responsibility for his decisions and must be accountable when those decisions don’t pay off

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
7 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Lost count the number of the times Monk has cost us by starting with the wrong players and having to change it at half time because it's not working and we're getting beat.

It was obvious to most when seeing the line up that Hunt and Bannan as a midfield two was far too lightweight and would struggle.

I'm afraid with Hunt it was men against boys and while not a world beater, Pelupessy helped shore the midfield up and we at least drew the 2nd half.

JP should have started, massive mistake by the manager.

It was obvious to most (with hindsight) Hunt has deservedly been in and around the starting eleven this season and a lot have been clamouring for him to be given a start. The manager gave him his chance and I’m afraid he still has a lot to learn. However others more experienced didn’t help with their poor defensive first half display. If he’d have started with Joey he’d have ripped a new one. 
To be fair to Joey, he played well when he came on.

10 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Got beat by a very good side that will be right up there 

Having said that we are really running on fumes at the moment, I reckon with Luongo, Iorfa and Brown playing tonight we get something out of the game , having to rely on Hunt Dele and Pelupessy is going to kill us 

I thought after Saturday Reach was back but he had a shocker tonight 

Having to start with a back 4 of Odabajo Flint Van Aken and Reach against Toni and co was never going to end well 

I thought it was a back 3 with Harris and Reach as wingbacks. 

Apart from the cross for the goal I thought Harris didn't contribute much. Reach was pretty good first half but didn't get much going to him second. It all seemed to be going through Harris. 

Cant remember him getting many crosses in. 

Guest Willow Owl
7 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

This all didn’t happen by magic or as a result of some cruel twist of fate.

Monk chose to play Moses at centre half. He had (in my opinion much better options): Borner, Patterson, or switch to a back four. 
Monk chose to select Hunt alongside Bannan. He had options (in my opinion much better) options: Joey, Fizzy, Palmer.  

Monk chose to start with a front 2 that have never played together against one of the leagues best teams. He had options. The manager must take responsibility for his decisions and must be accountable when those decisions don’t pay off

He started the same back 3 that kept a clean sheet Saturday. Borner is Left sided and playing like like he’s pulling a tug boat, Patterson is a centre forward and Palmer is returning from injury and never been a centre midfielder. We still have four of our best players missing with injury as well.  We’ve brought nine players in and teams don’t gell in their first games together and need time. The front 2 have to play together at some stage to build up an understanding or what’s the point.
What other options up front. In your team the guy who scored our goal would have been in defence. 

9 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I cannot remember Toney scoring or coming close to scoring from a  corner in the second half.

So did Monk have to learn from his mistake or did Odubajo learn from his mistake?

Not being physically strong when marking.

Odabajo got bullied by Toney for the goal. On another day the ref could have given us a foul for Toney pulling and pushing. 

Moses did better second half and got Toney niggled on occasions. 

• Like 1