Champions League 20-21 Thread

bradowl

Having just visited the Blue Moon website, some of the comments on there are very OT like.

Ranging from 'Pep, worst manager we have ever had' to 'Bad team selection'

I'd agree somewhat with the latter, but, the former? That's just b0ll0x.

Football fans :rolleyes:

Total football vs. Counter Attack.

Stronger players do better when it counts. 

Total football does better over a season. 

Similar to our play off final against Hull, they had a tremendously strong team when allowed a rest before our final, they was pretty much unbeatable that day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HullOwlPhil said:

The team selection was Jos Luhukay levels of badness.

Totally bizarre and it got what it deserved.

This.

Bizarre starting XI. 
No recognised striker. No holding CM.

Sterling still in James’ pocket this morning.

Chelsea set up to pinch a goal & defend for their lives.

If Werner was any cop, it would have been over a lot sooner. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

City had no plan B, proper boring. If they'd kept Dzeko then might have had a chance to mix it up.

Well done Chelsea. Tuchel played a blinder.

If they had Kane.... They probably win!

• Like 1

City been playing without a recognised striker most of the season especially in the Champions League and it served them well. The real head scratcher was the dropping of Fernandinho to squeeze an out of form Sterling in. Like previously mentioned that made them completely unbalanced. I think Pep was spooked by the Wembley defeat in the semis. Fair play to Tuchell, tactically amazing last night,

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

No idea why some are saying that was boring last night. Ok not many chances but end to end stuff. Testament to the midfields and especially Kante 

agree 100% it was the best game I've seen in a while

Man City will definitely be in for Kane now...and it will tip balance for him to go City as he will be wanting to help City win their first CL

Kante has basically won everything in the game now...amazing considering they had a mad man trying to play him as an attacking midfielder a couple of seasons ago and seemed like he was on the way down 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Man City will definitely be in for Kane now...and it will tip balance for him to go City as he will be wanting to help City win their first CL

Kante has basically won everything in the game now...amazing considering they had a mad man trying to play him as an attacking midfielder a couple of seasons ago and seemed like he was on the way down 

It’ll definitely be interesting to see how Kane makes his decision. A CL trophy would have put City in the driving seat, now I’m not so sure. He might think any of Man Utd, Chelsea or  City have potential to win the title & CL next season

I was a huge fan of Makelele but I don’t think even he can compare with Kante. If France win the Euros he’s gotta be a contender for Ballon D’Or? 

28 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

No idea why some are saying that was boring last night. Ok not many chances but end to end stuff. Testament to the midfields and especially Kante 

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I really enjoyed it as well. There is a lot to admire in watching a team continually soak up pressure from a great attacking opponent, then try to hit them on the break. It's the ultimate contrast in tactics and last night was a terrific example.

Edited by Sheff74
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

No sympathy for Pep. Yet again, he overthinks it. No defensive midfielder or conventional striker on the pitch as he wanted to accommodate his midfielders and wingers. Completely unbalanced.

Often, KDB and Foden were both playing as central strikers. It was quite frankly unbelievable. 

Get back to basics and do what you are good at, Pep and stop trying to think you are too clever. 

This ^  leaving strikers like Aguero and Jesus on the bench is very bizarre.  I’d understand if Aguero was on the way down but he’s apparantly going to Barcelona,  so can’t be that bad now.  

Personally I’d like to see Man City start to decline now and teams like Man Utd and Chelsea kicking city and Liverpool out of touch next season.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

No sympathy for Pep. Yet again, he overthinks it. No defensive midfielder or conventional striker on the pitch as he wanted to accommodate his midfielders and wingers. Completely unbalanced.

Often, KDB and Foden were both playing as central strikers. It was quite frankly unbelievable. 

Get back to basics and do what you are good at, Pep and stop trying to think you are too clever. 

I'm a big admirer of Pep but he has to take responsibility for that defeat in my opinion. Completely agree with what you say and really not sure how Stirling got back into the side either. He has been out of form for the second half of the season and didn't pull up any trees in the previous defeats to Chelsea, he was poor against them in the FA Cup Semi-final. 

1 hour ago, Night King said:

City been playing without a recognised striker most of the season especially in the Champions League and it served them well. The real head scratcher was the dropping of Fernandinho to squeeze an out of form Sterling in. Like previously mentioned that made them completely unbalanced. I think Pep was spooked by the Wembley defeat in the semis. Fair play to Tuchell, tactically amazing last night,

The thing is, Stirling played in that FA Cup game - badly. Chelsea totally nullified him then so it was strange that he chose to go with him yesterday when he has not been a starter in the biggest games recently.