New European League.

Maybe I'm niave but I don't get it. Man City, Liverpool and the big boys don't like too many games as they want to focus on CL and Title, just play your reserves and copious youth teams in the domestic cups. 

There's too many games, they shout as they propose a breakaway league which would run parallel to PL and add scores of games to thier slate. 

Oh that's it....money. Silly me. 

As a side point the Bournemouths, Burnleys etc are never going to win the league so why not actually try to win a domestic cup? No let's settle for 16th and tv money. 

One of these “super” clubs will need to finish bottom there is a chance within this league there will be established top 4 and the others playing out for nothing. The fans abroad like winners that’s why there isn’t millions of Burnley fans in Beijing. 

There all as greedy as each other they won’t want equal money distribution they will want an edge for being more lucrative to foreign audiences. It just won’t work and for that reason I really want them to do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175

Could this benefit Wednesday in the long run as we might be invited to make up the numbers in the Premier if the other clubs call the top six's bluff (straw grasping)?  

Surely fans wouldn't go for a European league especially if it was played at the weekend, fans want to beat their rivals from down the road.  Can only see this having a short shelf life.

It has shades of Kerry Packer that does. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175

Could this benefit Wednesday in the long run as we might be invited to make up the numbers in the Premier if the other clubs call the top six's bluff (straw grasping)?  

Surely fans wouldn't go for a European league especially if it was played at the weekend, fans want to beat their rivals from down the road.  Can only see this having a short shelf life.

Why would they want us to join the Premier league? Seriously, we aren't one of the top teams in the Championship. Apart from about 4 or 5 years in the last 20 we haven't been in the upper reaches of the Championship.

• Like 1

What the owners want, an NFL format where it is the same clubs every season and no relegation. The best in the same pond. Money would dropped out of English football but would it be so bad? We might get the football clubs, games, fans back that made us love it so much. 

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Potential 

I had a lad work for me, he had loads of potential. It was the thing everryone commented on. 30 years on he was still labouring for me and he was in his 50's.

If you have potential at some stage you have to use it and achieve something otherwise you are just anotrher no hoper.

I hope we can achieve our potential soon, I'm retired now, if we wait another 20 years to reach our potential I might never get to see it.

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

I had a lad work for me, he had loads of potential. It was the thing everryone commented on. 30 years on he was still labouring for me and he was in his 50's.

If you have potential at some stage you have to use it and achieve something otherwise you are just anotrher no hoper.

I hope we can achieve our potential soon, I'm retired now, if we wait another 20 years to reach our potential I might never get to see it.

Not sure that's a fair analogy.   But confident we would match united attendances and be a bigger draw than them.

But I feel your pain.  

Careful what you wish for.   Without the 'big six' last years premier league table would've been this:

Leicester
Wolves
PIGS
Burnley
Southampton
Everton
Newcastle
Crystal Palace
Brighton
West Ham
Aston Villa
Bournemouth
Watford
Norwich

Also, can you imagine flying from Manchester to go on holiday on a Saturday evening?   It'd be full of drunk football supporters, travelling back from matches at Manu, ManC and Liverpool.

17 hours ago, striker said:

Bye, I'd go further and let them out of the PL altogether.

The 'big 6' tried to buy more control, that didn't work so now threatening to take their ball home and start a new invitation only competition to exert more control over the rest of the cannon fodder teams in the PL.

Pure greed....let em frick off....wait til 1 or 2 o’teams come crawling back when it goes breasts-up!

• Like 1

I don't get why people would be so angry to let them go, I would love it.

I don't really want to be paying money to watch players that are so rich, but I'm already a Wednesday fan and can't change that now. 

They should be well paid, but I would prefer it if your best players were like the local well off bloke rather than the mega money they do have. In turn tickets would be cheaper, grounds fuller etc. I know we don't like in Cuba but just the way I'd like to see it

The European league kind of shows the football teams for what they are, they want less games because its affecting the players and the team but it then turns out that they want to play possible another 10-15 games a season in a European league.

So which is it then they want to reduce the games or they just want the scrap the EFL cup and reduce league sizes so they have more time to play more games in a new FIFA competition.

The whole of football from the very top to bottom is bent. When people are trying to make sure they can feed their families and keep safe and well the top EPL are just looking at more ways to get yet more money.

19 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

EFL clubs joining the EPL would be the tail wagging the dog.  The EFL should, at the point of the top 5/6 teams leaving the EPL say that there's no promotion from the Championship, but the EPL clubs are invited to join the EFL if they so wish, or they can remain in a 15-strong EPL where Everton and Newcastle are the top sides with no relegation.   A full correction of the English game won't happen when you have two separate leagues.

As for the Big 6; then of course they could no longer take part in any English cup competition. 

That wouldn't happen though as they hold too much power; they'll be allowed B teams in the League, and entry to cup competitions.   

The Glazer's have always been pushing individual TV agreements, so this is the way they will get it through PPV.

Tell these clubs they can have their European Premiere League, but they will not be allowed to play in the EPL in any form.

Yes it will impact on the League financially, but in time the game will recover and in a more responsible form. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

How many times as this been discussed over the years? I remember once there was talk of Rangers and Celtic joining such a thing, until they realised that Scottish football was shyyte. 

Celtic and Rangers let loose in a European League would catapult them in to the big time. Both have massive world wide appeal especially Celtic and they would be besieged by investors. 

They might not be big as Bara, Man Utd, Real Madrid, or Liverpool but they would be in the next class down and put serious pressure on those above.

I can't see them not been invited to join.

I really hope that they do form a Euro league with no promotion or relegation, how boring would that be, the season could be over for most teams after the first 10 games. We could realigne the English football pyramid, with salary caps and regional leagues for the lower teams in the pryamid. I would also propose that we never again let Sky TV control the fixture list.

49 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Celtic and Rangers let loose in a European League would catapult them in to the big time. Both have massive world wide appeal especially Celtic and they would be besieged by investors. 

They might not be big as Bara, Man Utd, Real Madrid, or Liverpool but they would be in the next class down and put serious pressure on those above.

I can't see them not been invited to join.

I wouldn't be so sure.

They have certain... issues that large investors wouldn't like their shiny new product associated with.  There are easily another 18 clubs in the whole of Europe that are equally as bankable without the baggage.