New European League.

14 minutes ago, nickywire said:

lets face it, would be best season we've had in decades if this were the case

No doubt 

I wasn’t really talking about us though, I meant football clubs in general. It would effectively condemn everyone left behind in the PL to a permanent 2nd tier 

Surely why fans around the world are attracted to the Premier League is that they enjoy the more physical robust game, the passion of the fans and the atmosphere that that creates.

Just hope the fans of the clubs it effects will be against this hair brained scheme scheme and boycott the games.  As others have pointed this is more aimed at the fans in far flung places of the world where they may share the love of the game but they won't have the same feelings for the clubs we support.  

This is a rush for the money by very rich people who own the clubs and they will quiet happily pull out of the game when they see their investment start to decline and then move on to the next big thing.  Leaving disray in the game.

10 minutes ago, Django said:

No doubt 

I wasn’t really talking about us though, I meant football clubs in general. It would effectively condemn everyone left behind in the PL to a permanent 2nd tier 

Not the way I would look at it. 

It's more like half a dozen clubs no longer really existing as part of proper football and the rest of us can all get on with it. 

• Like 4

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Watto said:

For me there would nothing more boring than seeing the same old super powers playing each other every year in a league whilst sky and the media lap it up 😡

Indeed.

The champions league is already boring and has been for years with the same clubs playing each other over and over again.

This European league has been talked about for a long time. I hope it does happen because I would wager a lot of money that it will ultimately fail.

Let's have a think about it. In Liverpool on a Monday morning when everyone's back at work (humour me 😂)the Everton fans are all talking about how the premier League is going and what a great game they had against villa at the weekend. The Liverpool fans can't join in the conversations because they drew with AC Milan in the European league and don't follow the premier League any more. The Everton fans talk amongst themselves and involve fans of other premier League clubs but the liverpool fans are left on their own. They won't like it one bit.

Imagine London on a Monday morning, all the west ham, Brentford, Fulham, Millwall etc. Fans having a good chat but the arsenal (really!?), spurs and Chelsea fans being left out of the conversations.

Football in this country is about history and rivalries. Would you rather play the pigs or juventus at home in a league game?

How many away fans will there be on a Tuesday night? Manchester to Barcelona, no thanks.

The new European league will be very expensive to watch and the attendances will start well but will dwindle with more watching on TV than in person. As attendances go down sponsors will walk away and it will become uneconomical.

Give me English football in the flesh all day long.

Let them go, but please, don't let them back in!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Indeed.

The champions league is already boring and has been for years with the same clubs playing each other over and over again.

I only watch the Champions League when it get to the knock out stage and even then it's usually the quarter finals.

And as a favour the clubs that go will want to play a second string in their national leagues.

Insurance policy.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

1 minute ago, GLOwl said:

This European league has been talked about for a long time. I hope it does happen because I would wager a lot of money that it will ultimately fail.

Let's have a think about it. In Liverpool on a Monday morning when everyone's back at work (humour me 😂)the Everton fans are all talking about how the premier League is going and what a great game they had against villa at the weekend. The Liverpool fans can't join in the conversations because they drew with AC Milan in the European league and don't follow the premier League any more. The Everton fans talk amongst themselves and involve fans of other premier League clubs but the liverpool fans are left on their own. They won't like it one bit.

Imagine London on a Monday morning, all the west ham, Brentford, Fulham, Millwall etc. Fans having a good chat but the arsenal (really!?), spurs and Chelsea fans being left out of the conversations.

Football in this country is about history and rivalries. Would you rather play the pigs or juventus at home in a league game?

How many away fans will there be on a Tuesday night? Manchester to Barcelona, no thanks.

The new European league will be very expensive to watch and the attendances will start well but will dwindle with more watching on TV than in person. As attendances go down sponsors will walk away and it will become uneconomical.

Give me English football in the flesh all day long.

Let them go, but please, don't let them back in!

This will be aimed more at the Asian TV markets and other far flung places that's where the big bucks are.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

This will be aimed more at the Asian TV markets and other far flung places that's where the big bucks are.   

Agree.

Did you see that part of the big picture (wolf in sheeps clothing) proposals last week was more pre season friendlies to compensate for 2 less premier teams? Wonder where those would have been? Almost certainly Asia. Disgusting.

1 hour ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

They have thought of that.

Apparently some of the clubs would be “founder” clubs and can’t be relegated for 20 years.

The issue isn’t relegation, it’s obviously going to be a closed shop. Fans of teams that totally dominate their domestic competition are used to being serial winners. Finishing the bottom half of the league will quickly become very boring for these glory hunters. We’ll soon see how loyal their global fan bases really are.

• Like 3

Just now, GLOwl said:

Agree.

Did you see that part of the big picture (wolf in sheeps clothing) proposals last week was more pre season friendlies to compensate for 2 less premier teams? Wonder where those would have been? Almost certainly Asia. Disgusting.

Yeah I just get the feeling that the rich have yet again stitched us all up and stolen something of ours which know the value of but they know the price. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Correct. 

Hopefully the real Man Utd and Liverpool fans can start their own clubs and get back in the league that way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

The kind of fans you are thinking of don't matter. 

This is all for the 'fans' in Asia and the Middle East. 

I would happily sacrifice Man Utd and Liverpool etc to save the rest of English football for the real fans.  Sadly they have no intention of removing their toxic presence from domestic football whilst there is still money to be made.  They would prefer to twist the domestic game into a support structure for a handful of Elite clubs competing where it 'matters' in Europe. 

Finally someone commenting who has actually read the article.

All the other posts saying good riddance to them but as you point out the proposal does not involve them leaving their respective domestic leagues, it will simply mean they will no longer be involved in the Champions & Europa leagues.

The money the PL generated for English clubs made lots of other European clubs jealous. They think a European league will transfer money to them. I do not think this will happen lots of English clubs have large followings and if given the choice of watching their team play a another English side or one of so called big 6 play another European side.

I do not watch European games as not interested in them. I am quite sure that many would sooner watch top division British games than a European league.

The money clubs got in top league of an English league would ensure these clubs were well funded and could compete for top players.  Also those clubs left out of European league like Celtic or Rangers could be invited to join league. Atmosphere at games would be better as travelling to 19 away games all over Europe would be prohibitive for many. Think a Euro league would survive but it would not generate interest as much as some think. 

If they did compete in FA cup cup and got knocked out by minnow it would be interesting what impact this would have.

The top 6 hasn't ever been a static entity. I remember Man U in the old second division. Man City in Div 3, Chelsea in Div 2 etc etc. Fosest and Blackburn have been league champions. What right do the clubs temporarily at the top now have to claim permanent status.

The excitement of football is that teams fotunes wax and wane, being permanently guaranteed top 6 status will take much of the pleasure and pain away. The game will become sterile and standards will drop.

Fans should revolt to stop this grab for power. These clubs wouldn't be top of the tree without the rest of the tree being there.

I'm sick of the money in football it's ruining the sport that we all grew up with

• Like 1

Football is finished sod it. I'm done with it. Football showed how much it cared for the fans and smaller clubs by carrying on without fans. Football as showed time and again that it doesn't care for history, tradition or fans. It's a business and not a sport. The top clubs just want more and more money, so they can spend even more obscene amounts on overpriced players. The game was ruined when the old First Division and the old European Cup were rebranded. It's been progressively repulsive, even greedier and less competitive year on year. RIP football. 

• Like 2