Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Fans of clubs in England and Germany won’t go for this and anyway would soon get fed up of playing Barcelona every year at least twice a year. There is no appetite for it over here.

Although TBH I would love to see the back of Liverpool and their “best fans in the world”

 

this is for the Asian market and a FIFA power grab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fear is where would this leave the rest of the football pyramid? The best we could hope for is to battle West Ham and Crystal Palace every year for the PL title

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175
 

Could this benefit Wednesday in the long run as we might be invited to make up the numbers in the Premier if the other clubs call the top six's bluff (straw grasping)?  

 

Surely fans wouldn't go for a European league especially if it was played at the weekend, fans want to beat their rivals from down the road.  Can only see this having a short shelf life.

 

The kind of fans you are thinking of don't matter. 

 

This is all for the 'fans' in Asia and the Middle East. 

 

I would happily sacrifice Man Utd and Liverpool etc to save the rest of English football for the real fans.  Sadly they have no intention of removing their toxic presence from domestic football whilst there is still money to be made.  They would prefer to twist the domestic game into a support structure for a handful of Elite clubs competing where it 'matters' in Europe. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Django said:

The fear is where would this leave the rest of the football pyramid? The best we could hope for is to battle West Ham and Crystal Palace every year for the PL title

 

What's wrong with that? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Django said:

The fear is where would this leave the rest of the football pyramid? The best we could hope for is to battle West Ham and Crystal Palace every year for the PL title

Maybe..but more chance for the lesser sides of success out of the top 6..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, owlinexile said:

 

What's wrong with that? 

precisely. It's way better than what we can hope for at the moment, which is essentially to do what the Pigs did last season and fight a very good midtable campaign (in the knowledge that this is as good as it gets). 

 

I genuinely think we have fans who think that because we were competitive with the biggest clubs in the early 1990s, we might be so again. Not going to happen, just as Huddersfield aren't going to win three consecutive league titles, or Oxford University win the FA Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brando said:

Maybe..but more chance for the lesser sides of success out of the top 6..

 
It all just dilutes the PL. The biggest financial rewards will now be the new league. The domestic league will go the way of the domestic cups. League cup first, with  reserve teams & second string playing. Then FA cup went same way. Big 6 will go where £ is. PL will become less important. 
No coincidence Liverpool & Man U have American owners & J P Morgan ready to finance £4.6bn. Crazy.

Grounds will be empty. Everything pay per view.

At least G Neville recognises this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 
It all just dilutes the PL. The biggest financial rewards will now be the new league. The domestic league will go the way of the domestic cups. League cup first, with  reserve teams & second string playing. Then FA cup went same way. Big 6 will go where £ is. PL will become less important. 
No coincidence Liverpool & Man U have American owners & J P Morgan ready to finance £4.6bn. Crazy.

Grounds will be empty. Everything pay per view.

At least G Neville recognises this. 

 

Only if we let them stay in the domestic leagues in addition to this new one. 

 

The likes of Liverpool and Man Utd ******** off permanently could be the best thing that has happened to English football for 30 years.  More competitiveness, rebalancing of finances with more emphasis on matchday income and the real fans instead of TV money and speculative investment from billionaires. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

In a breakaway super league it doesn’t matter how rich all the competitors are - someone still has to finish bottom. How will the global fan base of these “elite” clubs take to that?

They have thought of that.

Apparently some of the clubs would be “founder” clubs and can’t be relegated for 20 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

They have thought of that.

Apparently some of the clubs would be “founder” clubs and can’t be relegated for 20 years.

 

Where would they be 'relegated' to? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175
 

Could this benefit Wednesday in the long run as we might be invited to make up the numbers in the Premier if the other clubs call the top six's bluff (straw grasping)?  

 

Surely fans wouldn't go for a European league especially if it was played at the weekend, fans want to beat their rivals from down the road.  Can only see this having a short shelf life.

 

Good, let the big prem clubs sod off and take their greedy, immoral ways with them. They won't be missed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Django said:

The fear is where would this leave the rest of the football pyramid? The best we could hope for is to battle West Ham and Crystal Palace every year for the PL title

lets face it, would be best season we've had in decades if this were the case

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watto said:

For me there would nothing more boring than seeing the same old super powers playing each other every year in a league whilst sky and the media lap it up 😡

As they do with the premier League..

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

 

Only if we let them stay in the domestic leagues in addition to this new one. 

 

The likes of Liverpool and Man Utd ******** off permanently could be the best thing that has happened to English football for 30 years.  More competitiveness, rebalancing of finances with more emphasis on matchday income and the real fans instead of TV money and speculative investment from billionaires. 


Agree up to a point. It’s all rosey for them until the next pandemic or financial crash. Then they’ll need the bread & butter domestic league again. What happens if they can’t commute? Whole different ball game (!) then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...