Do You Expect Us To Stay Up?

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly. These were always going to be defining games for us. Win, and we reel in a likely relegation rival; lose, and we've allowed them to open up an even wider gap on us.

Even if we still had the same number of points as we currently do but had beaten Rotherham and Luton (and lost to say, Cardiff and Birmingham instead), we'd most probably be in a better position in the long-run, due to reeling in our probable rivals at least.

Unfortunately, we've just put in two of the most embarrassingly abject performances imaginable when it really mattered. 

In your opinion how much longer does Monk get? I also noticed last night how he referred to the next 3 games a couple of times. Perhaps he has been told he has until the international break to save his job. For me even a win on Saturday would just be papering over the cracks, when you factor in our home form, losing the last 2 games, not just losing them but the way we played in them, I think he needs to go before the end of the next 3 games. 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

In your opinion how much longer does Monk get? I also noticed last night how he referred to the next 3 games a couple of times. Perhaps he has been told he has until the international break to save his job. For me even a win on Saturday would just be papering over the cracks, when you factor in our home form, losing the last 2 games, not just losing them but the way we played in them, I think he needs to go before the end of the next 3 games. 

There are many factors to weigh up, and you’d hope that’s what the chairman will be doing right now 

Personally, I’d get rid right now, as I have no confidence in Monk being able to turn this around Who knows, this may have been DC’s last throw of the dice, putting every last penny he is able to spend into letting Monk bring in his team, and supplying the funds for the manager to boost the squad. He may want to give him a little longer because of that, or maybe not even in a position to sack him yet. 
If it is possible for him to make the change, you’d hope he’d at least have his people sounding out who might be interested. I’d like to see us make the changes with a proper long term plan in mind, but with this going nowhere and time ticking away, maybe I could get my head around a short term fix 
Hell Im getting to the point where I’d even consider a short term deal for Pulis. 

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You never give up hope, but right now, hope is all it is We are getting to the point where we will need the sort of form we’ve never produced under Monk, so you would have to say the odds are not good.

I don't know why, but I've never really worked out how points per game we might need to average in order to stay up from our current situation until I just read your post.

In order to hit the 46 points needed to stay up in an average Championship season, we still need another 50 points from our remaining 38 games, which equals 1.32 points per game. Not too unrealistic perhaps if we could keep our best 11 on the field more often than not, but I think we all know how that's going to play out...

In order to finish the season on 52 points, which should see us stay up in all but the most extreme Championship season, then we need to be averaging 1.47 ppg from now on, which is starting to look ambitious.

However, the issue really becomes apparent once you consider where we might be after these next three games. Fail to take a point from them, and we'd need to hit 1.43 ppg just to finish on 46 points (and cross our fingers and hope our relegation rivals have had below-average seasons). In order to hit the more comfortable 52 point mark, we'd need to average 1.6ppg, which is better than top six form, and simply isn't going to happen.

Even if we take three points from these next three matches, which I'm struggling to see right now, we'd need 1.51ppg to hit that relatively safe 52 points mark, which looks way beyond us thus far.

Part of the problem we now have is that not only are we up against it in terms of our own points tally, but we've just given two of our likely relegation rivals three points each, which may well nudge the safety line higher than average and beyond our reach come the end of the season if we miraculously manage to do quite well ourselves.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't know why, but I've never really worked out how points per game we might need to average in order to stay up from our current situation until I just read your post.

In order to hit the 46 points needed to stay up in an average Championship season, we still need another 50 points from our remaining 38 games, which equals 1.32 points per game. Not too unrealistic perhaps if we could keep our best 11 on the field more often than not, but I think we all know how that's going to play out...

In order to finish the season on 52 points, which should see us stay up in all but the most extreme Championship season, then we need to be averaging 1.47 ppg from now on, which is starting to look ambitious.

However, the issue really becomes apparent once you consider where we might be after these next three games. Fail to take a point from them, and we'd need to hit 1.43 ppg just to finish on 46 points (and cross our fingers and hope our relegation rivals have had below-average seasons). In order to hit the more comfortable 52 point mark, we'd need to average 1.6ppg, which is better than top six form, and simply isn't going to happen.

Even if we take three points from these next three matches, which I'm struggling to see right now, we'd need 1.51ppg to hit that relatively safe 52 points mark, which looks way beyond us thus far.

Part of the problem we now have is that not only are we up against it in terms of our own points tally, but we've just given two of our likely relegation rivals three points each, which may well nudge the safety line higher than average and beyond our reach come the end of the season if we miraculously manage to do quite well ourselves.

You're forgetting one thing.

Our only hope.

Our last chance.

That three other teams go bust before the end of the season.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As you can see from what I've posted above, these last two games have really put us in a difficult situation.

We'd started the season well enough and had reason to believe we could beat both Luton and Rotherham. To not only lose to them, but to lose in the way that we did, barely creating a chance of note across the two games, and to compound our centre back crisis with two red cards, is going to be incredibly hard to come back from.

A win on Saturday is okay as long as it's followed up with positive results against Bournemouth and Millwall, but I'm expecting the worst after last night's showing. 

We've looked a much better team with Iorfa, Luongo and Brown available, but if they're out for a while, we simply have to find a way to cope without them.

It may be the anger of last night still, but I can't see Monk getting us back on track from here. It feels like too seismic a result to come back from.

• Like 1

If Monk stays we are as good as down. Confidence is at rock bottom. We were hammered last night by a team that is mediocre at best, 0-3 flattered us. DC has to sack him now or after Saturday's game as we have little time to hang around.Think even Monks demeanor after the game said he knows his time is all but up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

If Monk stays we are as good as down. Confidence is at rock bottom. We were hammered last night by a team that is mediocre at best, 0-3 flattered us. DC has to sack him now or after Saturday's game as we have little time to hang around.Think even Monks demeanor after the game said he knows his time is all but up.

Correct,on the last few games we are the worst side in the div,ignoring the minus 12 we look lost,we need a manager to kick some arses....eddie howe,roy keane,mick m or paul Cooke.m

• Like 1

at the start of the season I gave us a decent chance of stopping up, after 8 matches the hope is draining away at an alarming rate, if we stop with Monk I am pretty certain we will go down, we need a change but we need it quick, let's not make the same mistake of waiting too late.