Analysis | Comparing our signees to players we missed out on or released

10 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Best signing - Windass 

Biggest Miss out on - Leko 

I reckon. 

Very clever player Windass. Don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

• Like 2

Fletcher when fit is class( that’s the problem) Murphy would have loved and gona be hard to replace his goals and assists? Hutch as a third cb would have been class pace better on ball than all of others reads game well and always looked less likely to get booked or sent off playing there? As for others we’ll don’t think we missing them! A fit and bothered ff would be a different story but there you go

In hindsight it would have been nice to have got someone else in instead of Dunkley who for me is a risk we shouldn’t have taken. Someone like Salter or Sanderson instead of him would have been good. Murphy not been replaced which has to be a concern. Very pleased with signings like Brown (if he can stay fit), Flint and Paterson who are they type of no nonsense players we have been missing. Think Marriott will be a quality signing also, hope we keep him all season. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Plonk said:

To say none of the departed would get in the team is a bit bizzare. Fox fletcher and Murphy would all be there or there abouts ( funnily enough the three we seemed to want to keep) and hutch would have been a far better shout to come on instead of pelepussy to shore things up. But they are gone and we move on. Overall fairly happy with the ins and outs but as per the other thread still think we need a bit more guile up front?

A fit fletcher would definitely be in, but let's be honest, he's a bit like quite a few we've had these last few seasons. Just not consistently fit enough to contribute over a long hard season. 

Fox did well last year, but wouldnt get into our current formation. 

He's an old style more defensive fullback and would probably be back to his worst again asked to play wingback

Murphy would walk straight back in as right wingback, no doubts there. 

Nuhui, only ever played well over 90 minutes, surprisingly under jos, so would still be a bench warmer. 

As for Hutch, If it hadn't been for the monk fall out, I would have liked to see how he'd have faired going back into his natural position.

I still think that middle cb role of the three would have been ideal for him, but that ship has sailed. 

Like I’ve said before there is a bit of a Megson vibe about this season’s signings.

We’ve also picked up some battle hardened pros and characters to boot.

Flint and Paterson I think will prove to be very astute signings. Paterson showed what he’s all about with the penalty he won on Saturday. Flint may give us that confidence and calmness we lack in the last 15 minutes of games.

Strangely enough people talk about us moving away from the type of signings we made earlier in DC’s reign yet we have still picked up players with promotion/play-off experience particularly at this level. Might not mean much this season but might do next?

• Like 2

Interesting analysis - many thanks to the OP for sharing this with us.

Its very early days to be making comparisons between players, but I’m reasonably positive to date on the signings this season.

Would have definitely liked Murphy back, but you don’t always get what you want. Life is full of disappointments.

UTO

• Like 1

Interesting read.

I would've thought we might've missed the departed players or players we missed out on, much more than is the case. Of the missed out on ones, Murphy is the one we miss. I would've liked to have kept or replaced Murphy, Fletcher and Fox, to be honest. Murphy was the one I wanted us to sign the most, although it was unrealistic that he would rejoin us. 

Of the players we signed, I was most excited about the signing of Izzy Brown. Although he's been good, it's disappointing that he's currently out. I think going on performances Paterson and Windass have been by far the smartest signings, wasn't excited by the Flint signing to be honest but he looks a good fit too, and I'm looking forward to seeing us getting more out of Brown, FDB and Marriott.

It's close but at present, I'd say Paterson is our stand out signing, closely followed by Windass, then followed by Brown and Flint. I also think Marriott could potentially be one of our best signings too but we'll have to see more of him to see whether it was smart or not. In my opinion Paterson is our best signing, although I have high hopes for Brown as long as he can get fit and stay fit.

Apart from Dunkley, it looks like it was a very good window for us, with some smart signings and shrewd business. Making it one of our strongest windows in recent times. It seems much better than we could've realistically had hoped for considering the points deduction and the current climate. 

13 hours ago, Pressman 1 said:

Leko looked good yesterday when he came on maybe one that got away as someone already stated no to fussed on the others murphy is a big miss mind 

Yea if we have got Leko and Sanderson the wind would have been A+ as it is an A- is a bloody good effort in our situation 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Like I’ve said before there is a bit of a Megson vibe about this season’s signings.

We’ve also picked up some battle hardened pros and characters to boot.

Flint and Paterson I think will prove to be very astute signings. Paterson showed what he’s all about with the penalty he won on Saturday. Flint may give us that confidence and calmness we lack in the last 15 minutes of games.

Strangely enough people talk about us moving away from the type of signings we made earlier in DC’s reign yet we have still picked up players with promotion/play-off experience particularly at this level. Might not mean much this season but might do next?

The huge difference Been we have down this with Paterson who cost about 500k and is 26, and Flint who is on a short term loan. 

Not paying millions for 30+ year olds. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think Murphy would for sure

Hutchinson would get in our back 3.

Forestieri is better than any forward we have.

Murphy would play without a doubt.

Fletcher would start when fit.

Now younger and hungrier are phrases that can be thrown at our new players which in the main are decent signings IMO, and our wages are obviously much healthier but we are down on quality and to say they wouldnt get in is not correct. Well it is under the current manager i suppose who prefers effort over quality.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hutchinson would get in our back 3.

Forestieri is better than any forward we have.

Murphy would play without a doubt.

Fletcher would start when fit.

Now younger and hungrier are phrases that can be thrown at our new players which in the main are decent signings IMO, and our wages are obviously much healthier but we are down on quality and to say they wouldnt get in is not correct. Well it is under the current manager i suppose who prefers effort over quality.

Hutchinson and FF of 3 or 4 years ago yes, neither in the past couple of years were the same player. 

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Hutchinson and FF of 3 or 4 years ago yes, neither in the past couple of years were the same player. 

Disagree on Hutchinson think hes been a top player everytime hes played and actually got better the longer he went on. People think because he apparently was a bad egg that his form has not been great and bring up his disciplinary and injury record which again improved the longer he went on

Forestieri I agree but he still has it IMO, just dont think we have played a style which gets the best out of him.

Front three

Fletcher Murphy Forestieri 

or Saturday's line-up

Paterson, Windass, Kachunga 

No doubt in my mind that we've gone backwards. 

But a) we needed to reduce the wage bill

b) We had no budget for paying for replacements

c) we've done a lot better than I was expecting, especially if Marriott lives up to his potential

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Front three

Fletcher Murphy Forestieri 

or Saturday's line-up

Paterson, Windass, Kachunga 

No doubt in my mind that we've gone backwards. 

But a) we needed to reduce the wage bill

b) We had no budget for paying for replacements

c) we've done a lot better than I was expecting, especially if Marriott lives up to his potential

On paper , absolutely agree, but in reality, Fletch and FF were a waste of very big wages due to injuries and match fitness/sharpness. 

I would have loved to see us bring Murphy back and add Leko too, even Rhodes would get 10+ with them creating chances for him*

*ok, maybe not 10 for Rhodes

I was so impressed after seeing Leko play on Saturday, seemed to have very good control and vision really looked the business and if he keeps improving then he is going to have a bright future in the game.  Brum only got into gear once he came on.

Shame we couldn't get him over the line.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was so impressed after seeing Leko play on Saturday, seemed to have very good control and vision really looked the business and if he keeps improving then he is going to have a bright future in the game.  Brum only got into gear once he came on.

Shame we couldn't get him over the line.

I also noticed that at the end of the game he gave Bannan a wink and the two of them had a very chummy conversation as if they were long lost mates. I guess they must know each other due to them both living in Brum.

I remember someone said Leko might be able to come to Sheffield because he could always get a lift with Bazza. Shame Bazza didn't persuade him to come.

If he's only on loan then maybe he'll come to us another time, to spend more time with his mate.

• Like 1