Madness!

46 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Madness? 

It was One Step Beyond for one or two players. 

I nearly had a Cardiac Arrest when Joost blocked that clear chance. 

If it had gone on it would have been a Grey Day... In Our House. 

lol

It would have been an embarrassment. Monk would have had to get the last boat to Cairo at the minimum. Certainly if we’d lost my girl would have been mad at me for introducing her to a Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sure this happens at 99 percent of games ive seen. For one team or the other.

As if both teams say at 85 mins...ah damm we've blown it today...cant be arsed now...i'm bored of all this running around, theres no point cos I'm too tired.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

1 hour ago, stanningtonowl said:

It would have been an embarrassment. Monk would have had to get the last boat to Cairo at the minimum. Certainly if we’d lost my girl would have been mad at me for introducing her to a Wednesday. 

It Must Be Love but remember that Tomorrow's Just Another Day. lol

4 hours ago, HarpurOwl said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already but the more I think about it the substitution of Paterson for Pelupessy was bonkers! - with Joey going straight into the back line leaving just Marriott up front meant that every time we cleared the ball out of defence it came straight back - if we had left Paterson on (or even substituted Rhodes for Paterson) then having 2 up front would have given us a much better chance of holding onto the ball.

As it was we had that nail biting final 10 minutes of last desperate tackles and amazing blocks - well done to all the team for a well deserved result but please don’t keep putting us through the agony we went through yet again yesterday.

Surely, it’s madness to criticise a substitution that contributed to us winning the game? 

• Like 1

I know it would have helped to have an outlet upfield in the closing stages.

BUT did you watch the game?
Paterson was so knackered he could hardly run back to help defensively by the time it got to 90 minutes

He was away all week with Scotland and hasn’t been training with us or playing regularly.

Full marks to him for putting the shift in that he did.

Better to have someone with fresh legs on the pitch for the last five minutes and we didn’t have many options. And hey it didn’t work out so badly did it?

5 hours ago, HarpurOwl said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already but the more I think about it the substitution of Paterson for Pelupessy was bonkers! - with Joey going straight into the back line leaving just Marriott up front meant that every time we cleared the ball out of defence it came straight back - if we had left Paterson on (or even substituted Rhodes for Paterson) then having 2 up front would have given us a much better chance of holding onto the ball.

As it was we had that nail biting final 10 minutes of last desperate tackles and amazing blocks - well done to all the team for a well deserved result but please don’t keep putting us through the agony we went through yet again yesterday.

Spot on bud

A game we bossed and could have blown late on

Shyte subs

Panic for no reason...

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, bradowl said:

It Must Be Love but remember that Tomorrow's Just Another Day. lol

I was just thinking “I need someone to say tomorrow’s just another day”. Bit fed up of the last 10 minutes of Wednesday matches, would like to get away from it all and travel for a bit, become a bit of a bed and breakfast man.

Could sit in various cafes saying “Waiter”.
:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I know what I’ll do on a Saturday night after my beloved team have won unexpectedly away from home.

I’ll start a fuckingthread moaning about a bastardsubstitution in the 91st minute.

It looks like a really popular opinion, too.

In the good old days of the 'disagree' button, there's no way that OP would be looking so unanimously popular.

452001533_DownVote3.gif.750731294b0f6968314a869846586b8b.gif

• Haha 1

We looked a bit tighter when Pelupessy came on - it was the ten minutes or so before that substitution we were all over the place. Birmingham had a free kick near the box and then 4 big chances, first Friend's header, then the Leko one that Van Aken blocked, then the cut back to Clayton and finally the one where Hogan looked offside but he wasn't.

Pelupessy came on right after than Hogan chance on 91 mins and we saw out the last 5 minutes in relative comfort compared to the ten minutes of mayhem before.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Think,  it must be love  with Monk and Joey...just need to sign a player with shirt number 7 from Las Palmas.

Incredible that the manager is getting slated despite coming away with a valuable 3 points. 

Can understand people’s frustrations if we had lost or drawn, but we didn’t. In the last couple of games i think its fair to say the opposition have ridden their luck far more than us. 

The new additions look to be bedding in very well, but are the management getting praised for that? 

No, didn’t think so

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 14:34, HarpurOwl said:

Ahhhhh how I've missed the S. G days, the last ditch tackles, The Alamo defending. Always kept you on the edge of your seat when we were defending a 1-0 lead,willing us to hold out while the ball is pinging around the box. 

Guest Jack the Hat

I nearly posted something similar at the weekend, but decided against it due to the ridiculous witch hunt, and screams of 'Monk Hater' which follows if you dare question even a nuance of his tactics. He has built a decent squad and has got his tactics largely right, in my opinion, to such a point that even with the points deduction there is little to no chance of relegation. I do think there is an outside chance of the playoffs but the deduction means there is  little room for error. Last season we had a problem conceding late goals and we seem to be going down a similar road. All the joyous cries of ' it worked didn't it?' must be from those with short memories as in the previous game -QPR, it didn't. Perhaps the main reason it worked was the substitutions happened later. Personally I would pull back a player from up front who is at the speed of the game to help out and bring on one of our many number 10's - probably Kachunga, who would be an outlet and with his pace may even nick one. If we are going to invite pressure on then we need to be bringing on someone with more quality than Pelupessy for sure.

The OP was mine and I would just like to make some comments on the discussion it has produced - on reflection I think my title (Madness) and my use of the word ‘bonkers’ was a little ‘overhyped ‘ (click bait?) - however I feel the majority of responses engaged with the debate I opened up - there have been about an equal number of posters agreeing with me and disagreeing with me which is exactly what a message board should be.

I certainly didn’t intend my post to be a ‘moan/winge/slagging off the manager but instead some thoughts on the regular conceding of last minute goals - I still think we would be better off keeping 2 strikers on the pitch whose job at the end is to chase the long balls out of defence and then keep possession for as long as they can - I accept that last Saturday Paterson had probably run his race and needed replacing and (in my view) the only alternative we had was the fresh legs of Rhodes!

But when all said and done many thanks for the debate

• Like 1