Players out V players in

The consensus of the thread seems to be that have gone for graft over quality. I don’t have a problem with that except up front. The new guys might click it’s too early to say. But for me the team is crying out for a terry Curran or Gary bannister type of striker. One that has the graft but a bit of craft too to create something out of nothing. Maybe the lad from derby might provide it?

31 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The consensus of the thread seems to be that have gone for graft over quality. I don’t have a problem with that except up front. The new guys might click it’s too early to say. But for me the team is crying out for a terry Curran or Gary bannister type of striker. One that has the graft but a bit of craft too to create something out of nothing. Maybe the lad from derby might provide it?

Absolutely, Curran was a catalyst that made an immense difference. Time to add those sort of players in the future when we have this difficult season out of the road.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I like to judge this on positions.

Keeper: same

No change to the personnel and Westwood still ridiculously expelled. Not good enough options but the same as last season 

centre back: Much stronger 

Flint is a superb signing and I think Dunkley will be too in The long run. We only lost the invisible Bates and Fox who would have been at cb this season who I don’t rate anyway. Also van Aken has come back slightly better too.

Midfield: stronger

We’ve replaced an aging Lee with Dele- Bashiru who could be a star. Hutch has also gone but wasn’t playing anyone. The addition of Brown is also huge.

Wing back: weaker

Not replaced Murphy who was excellent last season. Think Reach can do well if given a run of games. Penney also returned but the jury on him is out for me.

Strikers: slightly weaker

Some good signings like Paterson and Marriott but losing Fletch was huge for me. Also don’t have an X factor like Nuhiu off the bench. However we have some extremely hard working forwards this season which pleases me.

Overall I’m very happy. We’ve reduced the wage bill and age of the squad massively yet it’s almost as good. Not a Monk fan but he’s done well in the window for me.

The last squad of players certainly had some quality, however application, consistency, ageing players , injuries and poor form became the norm.

If the last squad was so good , how many of those players have moved onto better things. I think some of us have been wearing those rose tinted googles for too

long, understandably given our decades of demise.

On 18/10/2020 at 13:57, gurujuan said:

Depends what you want from your football team. As others have said, we’ve lost a lot of quality, but if we you want a lot of huff and puff, we e got a few more who run around a lot Time will tell whether these players are what we need.

If you run around a lot with a purpose and buy into how the manager wants the group to play then that can take you a long way .  . 

On 18/10/2020 at 09:40, swinners said:

Players out V players in.  Have to say, looking at it like this the club have done great business, reduced the age of the squad, no doubt reduced the wage bill AND have a better squad! 

Well done Wednesday!

(Brackets are goals scored last year). 

I tried to line the players up on a like to like basis (where i could)

Fox (3)                   - Penney
Thorniley               - Van Aken
Bates                     - Chey Dunkley
Hutchinson (1)     - Flint
Lee                         - Bashiru
Murphy (9)            - Katchunga
Nuhiu (7)               - Paterson
Fletcher (13)         - Marriott
Windass (3)          - Windass
Winnall (2)            - Brown
Forestieri (2)        - Adedoyin
Joao (1)
Wickham (2)
Da Cruz

The only 3 we'll miss in reality are Fletcher , Murphy and João ( when he's in the mood )

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Afford him or not mate it was a bad move haha

.we all know his limitations but he's a decent enough player to bring on as the extra defensive midfielder if we hanging on to a result ......5 minutes to go you wouldnt want to be sending on  hunt to try and close the game down ........ 

On 18/10/2020 at 09:44, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The overall quality of the squad has probably been reduced, when you compare the players on an individual basis.

However, in terms of work rate, energy, athleticism and fight, we look much stronger so far.

A good team is often greater than the sum of its parts; let's hope that rings true in this instance.

This

Lot more workers, less shirkers.

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

.we all know his limitations but he's a decent enough player to bring on as the extra defensive midfielder if we hanging on to a result ......5 minutes to go you wouldnt want to be sending on  hunt to try and close the game down ........ 

to be honest I would mate. Well Waldock or Shaw over Hunt but I think all three would do a better job of closing a game out than Pelupessy. It’s not that he doesn’t try or is bad in possession it’s that he doesn’t impact the game his number of touches and tackles is way lower than any other player. He is just below the level required by a lot and his position on the bench could be taking away valuble experience for the likes of Waldock

• Like 1