Players out V players in

Players out V players in.  Have to say, looking at it like this the club have done great business, reduced the age of the squad, no doubt reduced the wage bill AND have a better squad! 

Well done Wednesday!

(Brackets are goals scored last year). 

I tried to line the players up on a like to like basis (where i could)

Fox (3)                   - Penney
Thorniley               - Van Aken
Bates                     - Chey Dunkley
Hutchinson (1)     - Flint
Lee                         - Bashiru
Murphy (9)            - Katchunga
Nuhiu (7)               - Paterson
Fletcher (13)         - Marriott
Windass (3)          - Windass
Winnall (2)            - Brown
Forestieri (2)        - Adedoyin
Joao (1)
Wickham (2)
Da Cruz

Too early to say if these players are better or worse. As a guess I’d say the quality was better with what we had but matters not...we couldn’t afford them so the reduction in the wage bill and age needed to be done.

Just hoping the players click as a team, even if individually they may not match up with previous players.

• Like 1

The players we have brought in are all solid championship players.

We haven't bought in anyone spectacular. I don't think we've got a player that will win a match for us with individual brilliance.

I still think we are three players short at least, left back, defensive midfielder and a winger. 

We've done well to replace players that left, now we need to replace players who aren't good enough.

But I don't think we'll need 6 or 7 players every transfer window, just add 3 quality players each time!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

We haven't bought in anyone spectacular. I don't think we've got a player that will win a match for us with individual brilliance.

I still think we are three players short at least, left back, defensive midfielder and a winger. 

We've done well to replace players that left, now we need to replace players who aren't good enough.

But I don't think we'll need 6 or 7 players every transfer window, just add 3 quality players each time!

True, solid championship players, many that left us were lacking.

I know I'm in the minority but I rated Forestieri and think that he's the only one I'd miss.  I think that Izzy Brown will be the one with the individuality to win games. 

I'm happy overall.

• Like 1

The only player I think we’ll miss out of the leavers is Murphy.
Forestieri....really hadn’t turned it on for us for a couple of seasons.

Fletcher... too far the wrong side of 30 and was always injury prone.

What we have now is a younger squad with potential to improve but  backed up with some  experienced battlers like Flint and Paterson. They both look the type to start a fight in an empty room and seemed to have no worries about the 12 point handicap.

I feel pretty confident that once Iorfa, Brown and Dunkley return we’ll be comfortably mid table.

Without the -12 we’d now be sitting just below the play off positions and whilst still assembling our squad.

I believe we now have a squad better equipped for the Championship but that’s not to say we need a couple more. It was always going to take several transfer windows to sort out.

• Like 1

Monk has mentioned a team to be proud of and early signs show this team has more determination and fight.

We needed to start again and the overhaul of this squad was necessary. Working progress but it is already evident that we won’t roll over for our bellies to be rubbed.

58 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Think me and thee don't see eye-to-eye on some things but think you are on the nose with this. 

We have to find a balance of getting people in and moving people out, rather than the boom or bust of adding a load of players, wait a few years, chuck a load of players, repeat ad nauseum. 

Given the circumstances and financial problems, at the end of last season, we now appear to be in a much better position to move forward on all fronts.

The end of last season was the lowest I’ve felt about SWFC, but I am slowly beginning to feel optimistic about the future. I like the squad GM is putting together, and feel DC is finally understanding what’s required to run a football club. Long may things continue in this vein.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic, if the chairman and manager were still here in 5 years time. Just imagine where the club will be if they are.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blatter said:

The only player I think we’ll miss out of the leavers is Murphy.
Forestieri....really hadn’t turned it on for us for a couple of seasons.

Fletcher... too far the wrong side of 30 and was always injury prone.

What we have now is a younger squad with potential to improve but  backed up with some  experienced battlers like Flint and Paterson. They both look the type to start a fight in an empty room and seemed to have no worries about the 12 point handicap.

I feel pretty confident that once Iorfa, Brown and Dunkley return we’ll be comfortably mid table.

Without the -12 we’d now be sitting just below the play off positions and whilst still assembling our squad.

I believe we now have a squad better equipped for the Championship but that’s not to say we need a couple more. It was always going to take several transfer windows to sort out.

Think we will miss Fletcher,when fit was immense..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

We have to find a balance of getting people in and moving people out

I realize I’m partially quoting but by the same token the team doesn’t want a revolving door either. Unless that’s what DC/GM wants. Not try to nitpick, I mostly agree. 

The team we had 4 yrs ago was a team full of individual brilliance at times, as well as gelling together pretty much as a team? Once in a while it happens where it all gells . Even in Carlos first season we lost to teams that we really should have beaten because they were up for a fight more than our team? Mk dons Charlton Ipswich? To name a couple ? First two seasons we signed players on big wages and then gave players big pay rises? Westwood fletcher ff Rhodes lees Hutchinson abdi bannan Boyd hooper all on prob 25/30 k a week was totally unsustainable unfortunately we rolled the dice and failed , we now have a team that at least fight and give 100% and at this moment in time that’s all we can ask for! The brilliance has gone but the fight is there? As long as we keep trying to add one or two of quality over next few windows we’ll be fine as long as we stay in this league? Could do with a fit and interested ff or of that like but thy cost big money that we not paying atm uto 

• Like 1

We maybe lost a bit of quality. However, these players are younger, will get better and want to play for us and that speaks much more for me. To many injury prone and players with bad attitude in that list. Fizz has all the credentials to be a future Premier League player IMO. But, time will tell..
UTO!

Depends what you want from your football team. As others have said, we’ve lost a lot of quality, but if we you want a lot of huff and puff, we e got a few more who run around a lot Time will tell whether these players are what we need.