Is Luongo going to be player of the season 2020/21?

Guest hirstysfags
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Errrrrr yep

And?

Think he's bringing up the "marathon not a sprint" thing.

Harris would have won it otherwise last season.

Even with all the new boys coming in, the team seeming to take shape, and the much better than expected start, it’s not too far off to suggest that the season could actually be defined by how well (and how often) Luongo plays.

He looks so natural in that’s midfield three. No surprise, there’s a lot of similarity to the role he performed at QPR in what he’s doing here: gets forward when there’s a chance, but mostly stays further back and bolsters the back line.

If he stays fit and keeps up this level of performance in his current role then we’ll be easily shooting for mid table (making a mockery of Rick Parry and the EFL’s sanctions). Losing him to injury or otherwise will be a short path to disaster.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Player of the season so far. So important he stays fit and doesn’t pick up an injury that keeps him out. One of the players we would really struggle to replace if he’s out. 

Indeed because there's noone else that can come in and do even half a job in his place. Our lack of options in central mid means we will struggle if we lose either Bannan or Luongo. I don't think Hunt, Shaw, Dele Bashiru or Pelupessy are up to this level.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Indeed because there's noone else that can come in and do even half a job in his place. Our lack of options in central mid means we will struggle if we lose either Bannan or Luongo. I don't think Hunt, Shaw, Dele Bashiru or Pelupessy are up to this level.

Bit harsh on the 3 youngsters who will all improve.  Pelupessy sadly is league 2 level and should have been let go . Think we will need another defensive midfielder in the January window as the amount of games take there toll.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

The fact that Hunt is still here is a travesty really. He should have been out on loan playing football anywhere. He is similar in style to Bannan, who doesnt often get injured and plays every time he can so his game time is going to be limited. Shaw is a box to Box midfielder so hes different and could offer something although hes been played at the back this season as well. Dele Bashiru is young and Raw. again a loan move probably could be productive. Waldock is the closest we have to Luongo should he break down and i like him, i just think Pelupessy is hampering his progression. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The fact that Hunt is still here is a travesty really. He should have been out on loan playing football anywhere. He is similar in style to Bannan, who doesnt often get injured and plays every time he can so his game time is going to be limited. Shaw is a box to Box midfielder so hes different and could offer something although hes been played at the back this season as well. Dele Bashiru is young and Raw. again a loan move probably could be productive. Waldock is the closest we have to Luongo should he break down and i like him, i just think Pelupessy is hampering his progression. 

Sums the situation up very well. 

• Like 1

He's a manager's dream

Will take on any role to help the team

Wins the ball back regularly

I think he's a box to box player but he's disciplined enough to do a job for the team

Unlike some fan favourite, he doesn't do anything rash and get himself sent off regularly

He's willing to sacrifice personal glory for the benefit of the team

A manager can't have enough player's like this

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Bit harsh on the 3 youngsters who will all improve.  Pelupessy sadly is league 2 level and should have been let go . Think we will need another defensive midfielder in the January window as the amount of games take there toll.

After adding my post I wanted to edit it by adding the word 'yet'. I'm not saying they'll never make it but they're not there yet. Having said that, I'll still be surprised if any of them turn out to have a future career as regulars at this level. I hope I'm proven wrong on this. I was definitely wrong about a certain Mel Sterland when he started out.