Today we hit the post and had a few saved, noticeably from Reach. 

QPR we hit the crossbar and again have a couple of decent strikes saved. 

Are we unlucky at the moment? Or are we not clinical enough? Or are they merely half chances that we have to really do well to get shots on target? 

I hope when Brown comes back he can create some good scoring opportunities, but feel we would create better opportunities if we played with fullbacks and wingers, to stretch the play and the opposites. 

What does everyone else think? Anybody else care or am I boring? 

• Like 3

We are creating good chances we will score goals.

More important we do not look like leaking loads of goals and tight defence is a key to success in this league.

• Like 5

Should’ve scored more today. 

If Windass can take free kicks like that it’s a plus. 

Marriott might bag a couple for us. 

Reach should be in the team based on today. 

We do have a few guys in our squad you can’t see ever scoring - so we have to work round that. 

I’m a fan of Italian football and I’d love us to be a team that wins games 1-0.  But as Monk says, in the championship teams start throwing the kitchen sink at you in the last 10 mins and you can easily come unstuck.

I just hope we can take more chances in the first half and make things more comfortable for ourselves. Brown coming back and creating chances should help 

• Like 4

Our best wins this year have been at QPR and Cardiff, where we scored 2 goals in the 1st halves.  And that’s the key, get the first two goals and you will have a very good chance at winning the game.  As we saw against qpr this season that when things go against you like injuries you can concede in the 96th minute and a 1-0 win becomes a frustrating draw.

We need to be able to score more goals. 
Our players haven’t actually scored from open play since the first half of the 1st game of the season. So hopefully that improves soon 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 2

The only way we’ve been unlucky is with the number of injuries we’ve suddenly picked up. 

Look at today’s stats and it does suggest we’re not clinical enough.

We dominated the first 60 minutes.
We had 13 shots on goal but only 3 on target.

One of those was the penalty so you’d expect us to get that on target. 

At the end of the day though Brum were worse. In spite of their strong finish they only managed 2 on target.

Get Marriott and Paterson working together with Reach & Brown providing and its a solvable problem.

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’m a fan of Italian football and I’d love us to be a team that wins games 1-0.  But as Monk says, in the championship teams start throwing the kitchen sink at you in the last 10 mins and you can easily come unstuck.

I just hope we can take more chances in the first half and make things more comfortable for ourselves. Brown coming back and creating chances should help 

get  the first goal hang on to it, try and hit them on the break to finish them off .......worked for jack charlton 

Can’t call the luck card 

Just not clinical enough, hitting the post or dragging it wide is taking just that bit too long to think about it, not quite having the confidence etc 

More work on the training ground is what will fix it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Always felt that scoring goals would be a problem for us this season and the key to our survival is being good defensively.

We’ve now got a couple of central defenders who have a reputation for scoring goals in Flint and Dunkley so we should improve here but we still don’t have sufficient goal capacity from midfield or full/wing back and this probably will hinder us?

No Wednesday player has scored a goal from open play since the first half at Cardiff on the opening day.

QPR was an own goal.  Brum was a penalty.

We're playing well but don't pose a threat to anyone.

Yesterday, Blues had as many shots in last 15 minutes as we did in 75.

• Like 1

It is obviously an issue.

Windass 412 mins 1 goal

Kachunga 199 mins 0 goals

Paterson 180 mins 0 goals

and let’s be honest they don’t look full of goals. Not yet seen anything there that looks like a proper partnership.

It is very early days, and credit to Monk and the players - 8 points from 5 games while our new strikeforce trying to find its feet is very good. 

I’ll say it again. The one partnership that’s looked to have goals was Rhodes-Windass. 

Marriot is an interesting one. TBH I don’t remember him at Derby, and his record over the last year is awful. But, in that cameo yesterday he was electric. His first movement and pace over 10 yards shredded the defence. If he can finish he could be excellent for us.

It doesn’t really matter who scores, but the reason I have focussed on our strikers is that among the rest of our team there’s only really Reach who can score a good contribution. Bannan, Luongo, Brown, Moses, Harris are fine players, but don’t score.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Can’t call the luck card 

Just not clinical enough, hitting the post or dragging it wide is taking just that bit too long to think about it, not quite having the confidence etc 

More work on the training ground is what will fix it 

agreed...hitting the post is as good as hitting the corner flag. 

aguero hasn’t scored 250 goals for city by hitting the post. Fine margins and goals breed confidence and result in turn will reflect that. 

IMG_0179.PNG.1bbefa2b14ea61b4cffc075b963cebac.PNG

The expected goals graph for yesterday's game would suggest that, other than our penalty, our chances were hardly sitters. This rings true for me: Reach and Windass would have done superbly to score from where they shot, and Paterson's header, although agonisingly close, was a fair way out.

It also suggests we'd have been unlucky to concede any of the chances Birmingham created, which is surprising given the time they had a shot from a few yards out that Dawson thankfully smothered. Unless I missed something and it was called as offside?

• Thanks 1

We won’t be free scoring this season but may do better when Marriott settles in to the side and Brown returns.  Chance to let partnerships develop.  We can’t expect miracles in one transfer window.

I hope we will be a solid unit that is very difficult to beat this season.