Cameron Dawson

Guest Willow Owl

I like Dawson.

He does seem to have improved his distribution recently and was looking for a quick outball at times yesterday. On the other hand, he's very good a running down the clock when we're under pressure and can use up to a full minute or even longer to take a goal kick, which takes the sting out of the opposition and gives us a chance to re-group.

1 hour ago, OriginalAlien said:

I like Dawson.

He does seem to have improved his distribution recently and was looking for a quick outball at times yesterday. On the other hand, he's very good a running down the clock when we're under pressure and can use up to a full minute or even longer to take a goal kick, which p!553s off the opposition and gives us a chance to re-group.

Fixed . Hate being on the other side of it though WTF:

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Still don't think he's good enough!

Seems to pull of good saves but let's some easier ones in!

Problem is we've been spoiled by really good goalkeepers down the years.

Carson

Grant

Kirkland

Westwood

Even Weaver and Bywater were pretty good!

I thought Bywater was a statue. But the others have been very good. Dawson can match all that though, we signed most of those players much later in their careers. 

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think his commanding of the box is much better than it was under Jos. He catches it now rather than flapping at it. 

I think it’s all chicken and egg really as things like that and the errors are only eradicated through experience and we didn’t give him much time out on loan. So he’s at the point where he needs to play if he’s going to stay here and we will persevere. 

If there wasn’t a wider issue it would still make sense to have one of Dawson or Wildsmith out on loan playing each week whilst the other was no1 working with an older keeper like Westwood or similar. Sunderland were desperate for a keeper and as a big club chasing promotion I thought that would’ve been ideal for one of them.

Would it be worth signing Camp on a deal until the end of the season and loaning Wildsmith out? 

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Seems to have worked on his quick distribution too 

I used to age 10 years between him receiving the ball for a goal kick, and him actually starting the game again 

Half as long as Westwood then. Nobody took goal kicks slower than him

Very well done with 3 clean sheets in 5 games.

Distribution has definitely improved, but that can also be the fact players are wanting the ball and giving him an option.

He is catching more than flapping which is necessary and a good improvement. 

My main concern however and always has been his position sense for crosses and through balls, also where he parries out shots to. Needs to have a better starting position a couple yards further forward. It’s something that stands out when we concede and goes unnoticed by most when it’s cleared. He’s improved other parts of his game, no reason he can’t continue to improve.

20 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Yet last season when the defence was all over the place (66 goals )Dawson was blamed for things that weren’t his fault. Now we are keeping clean sheets it’s all because of the defence.

Give the guy some credit FFS

I did, but it cannot be allowed to blind us from his inadequacies. A good keeper can be worth 10/12 points a season, a poor one can cost you that. Just ask pigs fans.

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

I did, but it cannot be allowed to blind us from his inadequacies. A good keeper can be worth 10/12 points a season, a poor one can cost you that. Just ask pigs fans.

Ermm, 

The pigs who have been saying ramsdale is their POTS and should be in the England squad? 

55 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Ermm, 

The pigs who have been saying ramsdale is their POTS and should be in the England squad? 

Don't be obtuse...you know I am comparing Henderson with Ramsdale who will cost them points that Henderson gained for them in the past two seasons. In fact Henderson is the reason they are in the PL now.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 20:31, meggoisgod said:

I really want him to be brilliant but I'm never totally confident that he will dominate his 6 yard box

This ^^^^!

What is with us that we never seem to have a keeper who is decent at cutting out crosses?!

I look at other teams and most of the time, their goalie seems to command the six yard area and catches the ball be it from open play or a set piece like a corner.

I think the difference this season in regards to last season is the experience around him. Flint will be massive for us this year as will Dunkley. The most experienced member of our defence was Tom Lees last season and his form had been in decline since the departure of Loovens.

Think back to when Westwood was keeping all the clean sheets we had a solid defence. 

Well done Dawson keep it up.!

6 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

This ^^^^!

What is with us that we never seem to have a keeper who is decent at cutting out crosses?!

I look at other teams and most of the time, their goalie seems to command the six yard area and catches the ball be it from open play or a set piece like a corner.

No they don’t.....you’ve just made that up

• Haha 1

Dawson is like the majority of our squad, average in the context of the Championship. He saves what he should, doesn’t make many howlers, doesn’t make many worldies. He’s 25 which is still young for a first choice keeper and therefore can improve although there’s not much sign of significant improvement. 

With a 12 point deficit we probably need better i.e. that “special” keeper who earns 6-12 points a season with moments of brilliance when it really matters. However, as things stand we can’t attract better and he’s a local lad who loves the club. Let’s get behind him, cross our fingers and hope for the best.