A Potentially Massive Result

Not mentioned yet but the fact we controlled the game for 80 mins does play a part in why the last 10/15 were so nerve-wracking.

The likes of Kachunga, Paterson etc. were absolutely spent from the epic amount of pressing they were doing all game. I thought it was reminiscent of Bielsa's Leeds in points today when we didn't have the ball, five or six men around one Birmingham player closing things down.

At this point of the season a few games in it's going to be impossible to keep that going all game, and when it stopped with 15 to go, it just invited Birmingham onto us. 

You could hear Monk and Hughes literally roaring "push-up" as loud as they could for the duration. It's not a Monk's fault thing for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Not mentioned yet but the fact we controlled the game for 80 mins does play a part in why the last 10/15 were so nerve-wracking.

The likes of Kachunga, Paterson etc. were absolutely spent from the epic amount of pressing they were doing all game. I thought it was reminiscent of Bielsa's Leeds in points today when we didn't have the ball, five or six men around one Birmingham player closing things down.

At this point of the season a few games in it's going to be impossible to keep that going all game, and when it stopped with 15 to go, it just invited Birmingham onto us. 

You could hear Monk and Hughes literally roaring "push-up" as loud as they could for the duration. It's not a Monk's fault thing for me.

Good point - the pressing from the front has been really noticeable so far this season, and today was probably the most sustained example of it throughout (almost) a full match.

• Like 1