A Potentially Massive Result

40 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As horrible as it was to watch those final few minutes, the fact that we dug in and hung on to the three points today could be a massive confidence boost for the players after the way we've conceded late goals for fun in recent times, and particularly after what happened last time out against QPR.

These kind of things have a nasty habit of becoming a pattern if they're not nipped in the bud, and it's safe to say that another late goal could well have cemented that idea within the players' psyche for the foreseeable future.

As it is, they've shown that they have it in them to do what's necessary to see out a victory in the face of great pressure, and this can only be a good thing going forwards. Hopefully we'll now see the nerves jangling a bit less the next time we're in a similar situation and we can start to put these games to bed with a little less drama!

Winters were always Snowy and Summers were always hot and sunny is a false memory. I've been watching the Owls more than 60 years and I think the misery of throwing it all away in the last minute balances out with the elation of a last minute winner or leveler has probably levelled out over the years. But I'd love to see some research on the subject.

I do recall in the mid 60's (Could be a false memory) That Chris Lawler, a full back scored a hell of a lot of late winners for Liverpool to secure in the main 1-0 victories. 

Of all those late goals none gave me as much pleasure as that Mark Crossley goal ! Oh and the keiran Lee winner at Rotherham.  

5 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Think it’s going to be a very tense season 

we don’t seem to have the cutting edge yet maybe that comes in time to go and extend a lead to 2/3 goals which means we are always going to be under the cosh in the last 10-15 minutes 

our efforts are their to be seen and watching games like that I actually feel like I’ve played init especially at the end 

this season will send me grey but the wins are much deserved 

can’t help but thinking we need something else that said when our defence is up and running maybe we are set piece masters 

I think give Marriot time to bed in and see how he goes along with Paterson and Windass could be the answer to our lack of scoring 

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

I think give Marriot time to bed in and see how he goes along with Paterson and Windass could be the answer to our lack of scoring 

Let’s hope so, I’m hoping for a few reach specials this year if they keep playing him on the left and his confidence grows 

In many ways, hanging on to a 1-0 lead will do us more good than winning 3-0 or 4-0.

We are going to go into the last ten mins of many games with a narrow score margin. If we can successfully manage games where we have a one goal lead and nick a few equalisers in games where we are one goal behind, we’ll be fine.

33 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

It worked today but I utterly hate the tactics of dropping back to the edge of our box and letting them launch stuff into our box. Then, if we win it we launch it as far away as possible just so it can come back again. What's wrong with passing it around and keeping the ball for a while, carry it up the pitch and keep it there.

Agreed, but it's human nature to defend what you've got, especially when you've conceded as many late goals as we have recently. As much as the players might be told to carry on playing the ball and keep possession, once nerves kick in, it becomes a case of safety first more often than not.

Having said that, the more often we're able to see out a game like we did today, the more confident we should become, and the less we should see the nervous, counter-productive football which we hate.

That's the hope, anyway.

7 minutes ago, Quadzilla said:

We haven't learnt a thing. We still invited all the pressure and it was the Birmingham weren't good enough to get through. I could easily have been a repeat of QPR and countless other times last season. We need to be more clinical.

Is that the qpr game when we played last 10 minutes with 10 men and the game where we lost Shaw Palmer lees during the game and iorfa just before

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Quadzilla said:

We haven't learnt a thing. We still invited all the pressure and it was the Birmingham weren't good enough to get through. I could easily have been a repeat of QPR and countless other times last season. We need to be more clinical.

I think they’ve been taught the lesson and learnt already. They will know to be more clinical but the issue is that they can’t seem to get the second one. We need a couple of get their eye in

Think OP is correct. We conceeded lots of late goals last season and think you can see that in nervousness in last 10 minutes. Today would have done players good and hopefully next win will be easier.

Also important to try and follow upwith home win which we need.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Winters were always Snowy and Summers were always hot and sunny is a false memory. I've been watching the Owls more than 60 years and I think the misery of throwing it all away in the last minute balances out with the elation of a last minute winner or leveler has probably levelled out over the years. But I'd love to see some research on the subject.

I do recall in the mid 60's (Could be a false memory) That Chris Lawler, a full back scored a hell of a lot of late winners for Liverpool to secure in the main 1-0 victories. 

Of all those late goals none gave me as much pleasure as that Mark Crossley goal ! Oh and the keiran Lee winner at Rotherham.  

I hope @jonesy87shef doesn't mind me posting a few extracts from his recent post here to provide the research you want...

On 05/10/2020 at 14:54, jonesy87shef said:

We have given away a lead to win or draw the exact same numbers of games we’ve won under Monk (13)

The huge worry and stand out for me is we’ve dropped 29 points from winning positions, 23 of these points from the 82nd minute onwards. Whereas we have pulled back 8 points total and 8 total after the 82nd minute.

Points gained after 82nd minute = 8 points

Points lost after 82nd minute = 23 points 

Point swing after 82nd minute = 15 points

Points won from losing position = 8 points 

Points lost from winning position = 29

30 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Is that the qpr game when we played last 10 minutes with 10 men and the game where we lost Shaw Palmer lees during the game and iorfa just before

Shall I go through all the other games where we dropped late points last season? I'm sure we van make excuses on every one.  It could easily have been the same again

10 minutes ago, Quadzilla said:

Shall I go through all the other games where we dropped late points last season? I'm sure we van make excuses on every one.  It could easily have been the same again

I'm sure you're saving them for a later date...good to know you're keeping your powder dry.

23 minutes ago, Quadzilla said:

But it wasn’t.....we won.....we kept another clean sheet.....we continue to catch third bottom at a rate of a point a game

And you hate that

Enjoy stewing over the weekend 

• Like 3

I thought we sat too deep in the last 20 or so minutes (including the additional 6 minutes) and we were too quick to get rid of the ball without thinking about the pass. Maybe tired legs and heads, maybe Birmingham forced us back a little, but I think we should have pushed another one up front to reduce their attacking options. I get why Paterson was taken off, and I get why Monk wanted to shore up the midfield, but we were panicking a little bit.

That said, we fully deserved the win. It could have been more, but Etheridge pulled off a great save and the post denied us too. I don't think 0-1 with our goal from a penalty sums up the game for those who didn't watch it. W dominated from the start.

8 points from those first 5 games is not a bad shout really, especially against Watford and Bristol City, who I think will be there or thereabouts this season. If we can get the same points from the next 5, I think that's a good return.

Edited by ChapSmurf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Good to see him anticipate the header which put him through on goal. Unfortunately the angle was against him but he almost scored.

Hopefully shows he has a real strikers instinct and can get us lots of goals.

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As horrible as it was to watch those final few minutes, the fact that we dug in and hung on to the three points today could be a massive confidence boost for the players after the way we've conceded late goals for fun in recent times, and particularly after what happened last time out against QPR.

These kind of things have a nasty habit of becoming a pattern if they're not nipped in the bud, and it's safe to say that another late goal could well have cemented that idea within the players' psyche for the foreseeable future.

As it is, they've shown that they have it in them to do what's necessary to see out a victory in the face of great pressure, and this can only be a good thing going forwards. Hopefully we'll now see the nerves jangling a bit less the next time we're in a similar situation and we can start to put these games to bed with a little less drama!

Your right.but imo we controlled the game for 80 mins. Easy..but for some reason we sit back..again ..for the last 10..pathetic..total control..to panic..why..? Great result tho.....