8th

Guest LondonOwl313

It’s funny how on this forum it swings between wild optimism and pessimism. 

Talk of the play offs if it wasn’t for the points deduction is way off the mark. I’m very happy with the 8 points from those 5 games, but it reminds me a lot of the start of last season when Monk came in. We don’t score enough goals, don’t put teams away when we’re on top and we sit back in an agonising fashion for the last half hour of games.

This is all well and good when the defence stays tight but much like last season, if results turn and confidence goes we’ll start losing games with too little attacking threat.

Reckon Monk will guide us out of the bottom 3 but I’m just wary that we’ll have a mid to late season collapse again which will see us relegated anyway. That’s happened in pretty much every other season Monk has been a manager so just cautious.

14 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

One of us will be proved correct when all is said and done.

Monk is not a good manager, he will be long gone while I am still putting my money into the club.

Whatever you think of me, if you are one backing Monk you are really the one who the Penney hasn't dropped for.

You say "a fine job" - I say - BAHAHAHAHAHAHA you absolute moron if you think that.

Proper divvi you lad

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

All I'm looking for at the moment is to be better than 3 teams. Stay up. That's all. Mid table would be brilliant. Playoffs an absolute dream. 

The powers that be will probably cancel the rest of the season,. at the point just before we overtake the last relegation place and state that it's final placings! 

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Talk of the play offs if it wasn’t for the points deduction is way off the mark. I’m very happy with the 8 points from those 5 games, but it reminds me a lot of the start of last season when Monk came in. We don’t score enough goals, don’t put teams away when we’re on top and we sit back in an agonising fashion for the last half hour of games.

This is all well and good when the defence stays tight but much like last season, if results turn and confidence goes we’ll start losing games with too little attacking threat.

Reckon Monk will guide us out of the bottom 3 but I’m just wary that we’ll have a mid to late season collapse again which will see us relegated anyway. That’s happened in pretty much every other season Monk has been a manager so just cautious.

Go on then enlighten us

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Go on then enlighten us

How do you mean? I just meant everywhere he’s gone he’s yet to not have a bad run at some point in the second half or the season. We can’t afford that in our position even if we start well

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Think as a Wednesday fan you'd have learnt to live in the moment.

And realise we don't have a say in who manages our team.

Obviously there was a marked improvement today but I don't think any of our fans are under any illusion about what we are as a squad/team or club.  If you can't enjoy 1 win then you might as well give up.

That first line is kinda patronising. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
11 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Think as a Wednesday fan you'd have learnt to live in the moment.

And realise we don't have a say in who manages our team.

Obviously there was a marked improvement today but I don't think any of our fans are under any illusion about what we are as a squad/team or club.  If you can't enjoy 1 win then you might as well give up.

That first line is kinda patronising. 

It’s true though.. it’s like 80% of the posters can see no faults when we win and the world has ended when we lose.

i enjoy it when we win but under no illusions about how big a task this is. Just really wish Monk wouldn’t allow this sitting back for the last half an hour every single time we’re in front because it always catches up with you in the end 

Such a fine line. We are not scoring from open play, not really creating the opportunity. If we didn’t get that gift of a penalty today the best we would have managed is a 0-0 draw. 

Not taking anything away from the win today and dodgy decisions even themselves out over the season. Pleased with the 3 points but hope it’s not just papering over the cracks. 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s true though.. it’s like 80% of the posters can see no faults when we win and the world has ended when we lose.

i enjoy it when we win but under no illusions about how big a task this is. Just really wish Monk wouldn’t allow this sitting back for the last half an hour every single time we’re in front because it always catches up with you in the end 

Don't think it's as easy as Monk telling them to push out...the game was stretched, legs were tired and it was hard to get in their faces.

Yea football fans are bi-polar by nature...especially in Sheffield when it's incredibly serious.

But you gotta really enjoy them wins when they come around...and try and move on from the losses quickly.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Don't think it's as easy as Monk telling them to push out...the game was stretched, legs were tired and it was hard to get in their faces.

Yea football fans are bi-polar by nature...especially in Sheffield when it's incredibly serious.

But you gotta really enjoy them wins when they come around...and try and move on from the losses quickly.

I’m not convinced this isn’t tactical though, not got the stats in front of me but if we compare Monk’s 45 games in charge vs other managers there has to be way more late goals conceded than before. We’re doing much better than the back half of last season because the defence is firing but we had that last season too before the second half implosion.

In his interviews he mentions the negatives about conceding late when we lose and on days like today he glosses over it. In a way I think some higher profile managers would criticise the way we sit back because I think most people can see it’s an issue even if they don’t agree why it’s happening 

3 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

Big ask that. 7 points from the next 4 is realistic, then the season starts. 

Anything from Brentford is a bonus. A point at Luton would be a decent result given how well they've started. We really should be beating Wycombe and Rotherham. 

That should see us off the bottom by the end of the month and ready to crack on. 

Probably beat Brentford then get humped 5-0 and 6-0 against Luton and Wycombe. Resumption of the Wednesday Way!

12 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Without the deduction we would be above Brentford in the table.

Dont get me wrong I would be very pleased with a point but they are not the galacticos everyone is making them out to be...

I know I have jinxed it now and they will destroy us!

They have dished out a fair bit of misery on us recently. Be good to turn that around, put in a shift and get a result. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

Big ask that. 7 points from the next 4 is realistic, then the season starts. 

Anything from Brentford is a bonus. A point at Luton would be a decent result given how well they've started. We really should be beating Wycombe and Rotherham. 

That should see us off the bottom by the end of the month and ready to crack on. 

This is wednesday mate. 

We'll smash Brentford ,3-0 with 10 men draw at Luton and then lose to Wycombe and Rotherham lol

• Like 1

Despite Brentford winning today, a result v them should be within reach. They're not the same side with some of the players that left and less consistent.

2-1-2 from 5. Seems like the perfect time to hit them and send them packing after we nick 3 points off them! lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’m not convinced this isn’t tactical though, not got the stats in front of me but if we compare Monk’s 45 games in charge vs other managers there has to be way more late goals conceded than before. We’re doing much better than the back half of last season because the defence is firing but we had that last season too before the second half implosion.

In his interviews he mentions the negatives about conceding late when we lose and on days like today he glosses over it. In a way I think some higher profile managers would criticise the way we sit back because I think most people can see it’s an issue even if they don’t agree why it’s happening 

Need to adopt the mentality of men possessed for the last 15 minutes of each game. Would have been a hell of lot better off in the table(s - this season and last) if we did.  So many games where we had done 95% of the work in 80% 0f the time and wonder why we were backs against the wall for the end of matches. Sooner see GM bring on someone who could stretch a game than Pelupessy. Way to keep opposition at bay is to stay on the front foot. Keep pressing and not retreating. Meaningful possession at this point is key!