It's all down to Monk now.

2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

In fairness he probably still doesn’t have the team he wants.

We have been hamstrung by this deduction and I’m sure there are targets that chose not to come because of it. 

Of course there is the deduction itself, which is not of Monk’s doing

Not many managers at this level do get the team they want. 

A true test of quality as a manager is getting the best out of the tools available.

DC has backed him as best as he can. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Love it. OP no more excuses. 
Following posts excuses excuses excuses. 
im sticking by my word and see how it’s going after Ten games. Hopefully by then we will seeing some progress and be off the bottom. Or even mid table if the EFL get their fingers out and we win the appeal. 

In order to be off the bottom after 10 games, we'll need to be on 6 points, using the average needed over the past five seasons as an indicator.

Once you factor in the points deduction, that's obviously asking us to pick up 18 points from our opening 10 games, which is 1.8 points per game, or put another way - that's automatic promotion form.

I think you may be expecting a tad too much from this squad, myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

He has been well backed by Chansiri.

He has his backroom staff now.

He has his own players.

He has no more excuses.

Sure he will find some, come 1700 today. “Happy with the effort put in, shame we gave away a three goal lead from the 88th minute, but you can’t knock the lads for that”. Etc etc etc

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

In fairness he probably still doesn’t have the team he wants.

We have been hamstrung by this deduction and I’m sure there are targets that chose not to come because of it. 

Of course there is the deduction itself, which is not of Monk’s doing

He keeps buying mainly centre halves, probably because that is the only position he understands. 

Last time out against QPR was a very frustrating performance, but the way Monk sets us up is relying heavily on the likes of Brown or Hunt to add the creativity, as the wing backs aren’t going to do it regularly enough. So with those two missing we lacked imagination to score goals. 

If Brown or Hunt are starting today I expect much much better going forward.  Otherwise I agree with those throwing their prams in Monk’s direction.  

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
18 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Gary monk is not going to field  the team he wants to put out today 

Getting his excuses in for him allready

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not many managers at this level do get the team they want. 

A true test of quality as a manager is getting the best out of the tools available.

DC has backed him as best as he can. 

Exactly this. He's been backed probably better than the teams we're competing with this season. Add to this his two best players (allegedly) have not been sold when they easily could have. 

Now is the time for Monk to prove his worth, hopefully starting today. 

UTO!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think him and his staff deserve until Christmas before we consider changing management. We really need to be out of the bottom 3 by that point imo. If we aren’t I think that could be the time, with enough of the season left to get someone else in to save us from going down. Would love Monk to get us climbing the table, he says the right things he just needs his players to start showing that on the pitch. Got his own staff he wanted, got a decent amount of his own players, now let’s start grinding out some results. 

To be fair to Monk, he's not really used those as excuses. He's generally got on with the job and accepted situations.

Yes, he's commented when asked, but don't recall him moaning and generally accepted poor form, results on the chin. IMO anyway. 

I do agree that he has now been properly backed by the club, the structure off field and squad, still in transition, but of his making now.

Consequently expect an improvement in performances and results, which to be fair, to date we've seen mostly. We've gone from relegation form at the back end of last season to mid table form this. Needs to be better though due to the points deduction and is the next challenge for Monk. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

He has been well backed by Chansiri.

He has his backroom staff now.

He has his own players.

He has no more excuses.

Don't think he's ever looked for excuses.  It's a team game, from chairman down, and we now seem to have that in place.  Don't put it all on the manager, he has to work with a budget and a points deficit.  He's just part of the picture.  Wish people wouldn't just be waiting for him to fail, but thereagain, I was brought up to support the club...

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think him and his staff deserve until Christmas before we consider changing management. We really need to be out of the bottom 3 by that point imo. If we aren’t I think that could be the time, with enough of the season left to get someone else in to save us from going down. Would love Monk to get us climbing the table, he says the right things he just needs his players to start showing that on the pitch. Got his own staff he wanted, got a decent amount of his own players, now let’s start grinding out some results. 

You keep posting targets like this, but for some reason you're ignoring the replies which point out what meeting that target would most probably entail.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, even with the form needed to reach the playoffs in an average season, we'd be in the bottom three until game 22, which is our final game of this calendar year.

And you genuinely expect us to be out of the bottom three two games earlier than that?

It would be great, but I'd be amazed if we managed to pull that off.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 3

Monk’s got most of what he wanted now and like any manager will be judged on results.

Pretty sure he hasn’t got all of what he wants though.

He’s clearly held back financially like all Championship clubs with no parachute payments. 

I’m also certain that some of the players he would have liked would have no stomach for a relegation battle. That’s probably why we have character players like Patterson and Flint who look the type of guys you wouldn’t mess with.

As for claims we lack creativity, well maybe in some areas but not many Championship clubs have the likes of Bannan and Brown in the middle of the park. 

As many have said it takes more than a couple of transfer windows to rebuild a squad but it’s a good start. There’s enough there to overcome the 12 point penalty there so they have to deliver. Monk will obviously take the blame if they don’t but let’s just give him time to blend the new guys into a team. Some of them had never met until yesterday.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Nearly did, but found the get out clause creativity, which I really believe we have, just need to utilise it but that will be when the problems  start. 

Would have liked a player in the Murphy mould to have been signed, that is a glaring omission for me.

Had Murphy signed I’d say we had a chance . He creates and chips in with goals himself . As it stands we will get a few off Paterson , few off Marriott and I can’t see where else 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1