More bids turned down for SWFC captain Barry Bannan

I mentioned this to a friend the other day, but I genuinely wouldn't sell him for less than £10M.

I know how old he is, and I know how long he has left on his contract, but Bannan is one of our better players and most definately a play-maker. He can't keep us up on his own, but he will absolutely contribute towards it. If we sell him, we could get relagated and that could cost us £5-7M in lost revenue. And that is why I would price him at £10M.

Take it or leave it suitors and at that price, I know you will leave it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

I mentioned this to a friend the other day, but I genuinely wouldn't sell him for less than £10M.

I know how old he is, and I know how long he has left on his contract, but Bannan is one of our better players and most definately a play-maker. He can't keep us up on his own, but he will absolutely contribute towards it. If we sell him, we could get relagated and that could cost us £5-7M in lost revenue. And that is why I would price him at £10M.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Chansiri is thinking exactly this.

I don't agree with it but it's not my club or money.

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

They think we are desperate for money due to the EFL stuff. Havn't realised we have a chairman worth 5p. 

Fixed your typo A12...

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

If someone offered us 10m for Bannan I will give him a piggyback there misen. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Even in the last year of his contract, and considering his importance for us, they must be high as a kite to offer £1.5m. Like sheer stupidity 

They just made 30 million on Watkins and are on the verge of selling Benhrana for another 30.

They can stump up more than a paltry 1.5 million  for one of the more creative midfielders in the division, irrespective of age and contractual situation.

Only person high as a kite is you thinking 1.5 million is excessive in today's market.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They just made 30 million on Watkins and are on the verge of selling Benhrana for another 30.

They can stump up more than a paltry 1.5 million  for one of the more creative midfielders in the division, irrespective of age and contractual situation.

Only person high as a kite is you thinking 1.5 million is excessive in today's market.

Eh? That’s exactly what I’m saying! That £1.5 is peanuts. I think you’ve misunderstood 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They’d be high as a kite to think they can get him for £1.5m, is what I meant 

57 minutes ago, trev said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Chansiri is thinking exactly this.

I don't agree with it but it's not my club or money.

Would you sell then Trev?

45 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

If someone offered us 10m for Bannan I will give him a piggyback there misen. 

Stick im int back o'van mate. Save your back. Work smarter not harder lol

I wouldn't worry, there is no way anyone will offer that much, and I think Chansiri would probably buckle around half that amount, if not before. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Would you sell then Trev?

Stick im int back o'van mate. Save your back. Work smarter not harder lol

I wouldn't worry, there is no way anyone will offer that much, and I think Chansiri would probably buckle around half that amount, if not before. 

I would have sold him yes but only for at least 3 million. But not now as it's too late to get anyone else in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

I could see him leaving in January and he might not be the only one?

I can see him assessing his options come January to see where we are in the league and not discuss contract until then. If we are still in the drop zone struggling I think he'll choose to leave

• Like 1

Glad we haven't sold him, especially at the price quoted in this thread. We would be weaker without him for sure.

We are seemingly moving away from bumper contracts for senior players with no sell on value which is a good thing but selling Bannan now for the sake of 1.5M plus a few months saving on wages would decrease our chances of staying in this division, which is worth easily in excess of £7M.

Not like he has bled us dry, rarely injured, never hides and is clearly valued by the manager. 

6 hours ago, 83owl said:

Only works if the players are deemed to be worth an over inflated price.

Younger players who have proven to be good and can still possibly develop further then yes.

30 year olds-No 

If they want a player 30 year old or not then they must meet our valuation. If they don't we don't sell him. In this case Bannan is worth a lot to us and his value has increased considerably as the window wound down. If they had offered £2m early in the window when we might have been able to replace him, we might have accepted it. Very close to the deadline they might have tempted us with £5M.

£1.5M might be his value to them, it wouldn't be enough for us. That's why the deal didn't get done.