Jack Marriot

11 hours ago, pressy said:

Just don't understand this signing. Why Derby have let him go out on loan and why we've signed a player who can be recalled in Jan 

Because Cocu doesn’t rate him (but the Derby fans do).  Similar to when we let Winnall join Derby on loan, and he scored in every other game which took them to the top 6, before getting injured.

The next 3 months are massive for us and we have to get as many points as we can to catch up with the pack.  So we’ve been able to sign a decent striker to help during that time.  We can sign another striker in the next window if Derby recall him.  Hopefully by then he’s scored plenty and helped us get out of the hole we’re in 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 0114 said:

Terrible deal.

Extended his deal at Derby.

No buy out clause.

January recall clause. 

So if he’s successful we completely lose out here. 

Good player. Bad deal. 

If they recall him it will be cos hes been successful for us and playing well.Good deal for both clubs for me.

9 minutes ago, pioowl said:

If they recall him it will be cos hes been successful for us and playing well.Good deal for both clubs for me.

Yep if they’ve recalled him means he’s scored a few and we’ve climbed the table 

I think it’s probably more down to how Derby do rather than us.

Cocu doesn’t like him and won’t want him back. If Cocu does well enough to keep his job Marriott will stay here , if he gets sacked then a new manager would probably recall him, irrespective of how he has been performing here.

• Like 1

I remember the original Jackie Marriot very well. It was at the time I'd discovered football and Wednesday, and it takes over your life. I've told this story before, but, Jackie Sewell was our star player ( along with golden boy Quixall), Sewell being the record British signing when we'd just bought him. In our kick abouts at school, as there was only me going to matches yet, I'd got the pick so became Sewell. A new kid joined the school ( Fox Hill), and they had a lodger, the self same Jackie Sewell, a current England international btw. They lived on Wordsworth or Chaucer. In the first kick about this kid Peter told me in no uncertain terms that he was JS and I wasnt. That's when I became Jackie Marriot. 

He was a fast, tricky right winger, not at all unlike the present JM in appearance as a matter of fact.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, millo said:

I saw him a few times towards the end of his time at Wednesday. He was a right winger.

Thanks for that confirmation. Dad said he thought he played on the right. It's nice to know he can remember somethings well.

2 hours ago, pioowl said:

I just don’t see how anyone can see potentially losing our main goal threat in January, mid season as any sort of positive. 

Remember how our season went losing Fletcher in January?

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I just don’t see how anyone can see potentially losing our main goal threat in January, mid season as any sort of positive. 

Remember how our season went losing Fletcher in January?

Because the alternative was playing Jordan Rhode, if we do lose Marriot in January then so be it, we'll at least be able to recruit someone else then.

Bloody hell, some people on here must think we're Real Madrid. We're on -7, hardly going to get people pledging the rest of their careers to us, are we?

Despite this, we got a good player. A few, in the end. 

Well done recruitment, let's see us use it, now. 

UTO

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Because the alternative was playing Jordan Rhode, if we do lose Marriot in January then so be it, we'll at least be able to recruit someone else then.

Forgive me for thinking about the bigger picture. Rather than just sorting ourselves for the next 12 weeks. 

He’s a good player. But we haven’t got a good deal. 

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

Forgive me for thinking about the bigger picture. Rather than just sorting ourselves for the next 12 weeks. 

The bigger picture is we have got to stay up this season. Nothing else matters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

I am thinking of the bigger picture, we signed Marriot on deadline day, it was probably him or no one.

Big, small, whatever sized picture you want, we're better off having him for just the next 3 months than we would have been by signing no one.

23 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I am thinking of the bigger picture, we signed Marriot on deadline day, it was probably him or no one.

Big, small, whatever sized picture you want, we're better off having him for just the next 3 months than we would have been by signing no one.

Exactly. I’m thinking about the season, not just 3 months of it. 

We got a good player but agreed to a bad deal.