And so it begins - Football on Box Office.

Was this not always the plan. 

How do fans in a stadium benefit those that control football. 

It doesn't. 

Subscriptions do.

Subscribers do. 

Financially this is a win win for broadcasters.

Netflix, Amazon, Google, Sky

Customers consuming at home. 

Then that statement from Wednesday... Difficult to swallow 

Edited by TheOwlsofDodworth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

I don't get the argument here.

Games that would have never been shown live are now being shown behind a paywall.... For teams you don't support.... With the money going directly to the team and not the broadcaster

That's a naive view of what's happening to say the least

If you can't see what's going to be the norm in a year or two..

I think you can really but are playing daft/blind

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

I don't get the argument here.

Games that would have never been shown live are now being shown behind a paywall.... For teams you don't support.... With the money going directly to the team and not the broadcaster

The argument is that this is just the beginning. 

Does this open up the possibility of the top Premier League games ending up on ppv i.e. Liverpool v Man U, City v Liverpool and so forth? 

I wouldn't rule it out. 

Every Premier League game has always been broadcast live overseas

Been to many places in the Far East where they have all the 3pm games playing on multiple screens at the same time

I’m lead to believe there are certain establishments closer to home that do the same 🤔

This is the model that the 'Big Clubs', with their massive global 'fan'bases want for the future of the game. 

Man Utd and Liverpool feel that they are enough of a draw to flog enough pay per view subscriptions on their own, without having to share a' football package' with the likes of West Brom or the Blunts. 

Far more money to be made that way, and they can keep it all to themselves. 

They will be confident in getting a fair chunk of the 'neutrals' to sign up too.  In the brave new world you will need to decide whether you are a Man Utd 'neutral' or a Liverpool 'neutral' if you want to watch live football on television. 

Meanwhile the clubs that still rely on actual local fans get further shafted, as every ppv subscription they sell is far more likely to be someone who might have bought an actual ticket for the game. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

It's well sneaky. 

Sky are moving games to prime time slots.

8pm Saturday for Newcastle Man Utd.

There's been a Saturday evening game every PL weekend this season - on the regular sub, not PPV. They had a few last season as well. Again, you're looking for conspiracies that aren't there. 

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

There's been a Saturday evening game every PL weekend this season - on the regular sub, not PPV. They had a few last season as well. Again, you're looking for conspiracies that aren't there. 

Sky and BT picked their normal slots for this weekend.

As part of the TV deal both are obliged to select the lessor clubs a set number of times. They tend to do this in autumn to put it bluntly get them out the way

Sky and BT are apparently not getting any revenue from this beyond a facility fee I am guessing. The coverage will be part of the world feed 

PPV may come in but it will be direct from the EPL not the broadcasters

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Terrible ain't it, how you get into enjoying abit of footie at certain times and then it gets taken away from you