Garry Monk targets a number of new signings

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.29.18.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk today outlined that he's targetted a number of new signings, and also explained how the recruitment process works and that the club takes care of most of it

“I’ve said it all along, it’s important to strengthen the squad regardless, but in our situation, of course it is,”

“In any window, especially this one, it’s never easy. We understand where we’re at and what we can and can’t do, that’s not easy. Everybody is trying to work as hard as they can to find a solution.

“As with anything, I’m hopeful of a few solutions to come in. If not, I’ll have to deal with that and get on with it. We’ve got a couple of days and we’ll see what happens with that.”

Monk went on to describe how signing new players at Sheffield Wednesday actually works and who's responsible for what

“It’s a normal process where I’ve worked,” 

“You’re asked your opinion in terms of where you think your squad is at, what type of player, whether that be the manager designing the profile of what you’re looking for or the club having their own ideas on the recruitment side of things and asking your opinion of certain players.

“That’s what I’ve done at every club, I’ve never really got involved in the decision side of it. My job is to say yes or no; that’s a player we want or that’s a player we need.

“Then it’s up to the club to decide whether we can afford to do that, whether it fits within the parameters of the business side of it.”

“It’s now at the point where we’ve had those discussions and now it’s over to the guys at the club to either get those things over the line, or they can’t,” 

“That’s not my remit. My remit is to talk about the football and the football player and what we need going forward. We’ve had good communications with that in terms of doing the deal, that’s for the club to deal with. I’m very comfortable with that.”

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.29.18.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk today outlined that he's targetted a number of new signings, and also explained how the recruitment process works and that the club takes care of most of it

“I’ve said it all along, it’s important to strengthen the squad regardless, but in our situation, of course it is,”

“In any window, especially this one, it’s never easy. We understand where we’re at and what we can and can’t do, that’s not easy. Everybody is trying to work as hard as they can to find a solution.

“As with anything, I’m hopeful of a few solutions to come in. If not, I’ll have to deal with that and get on with it. We’ve got a couple of days and we’ll see what happens with that.”

Monk went on to describe how signing new players at Sheffield Wednesday actually works and who's responsible for what

“It’s a normal process where I’ve worked,” 

“You’re asked your opinion in terms of where you think your squad is at, what type of player, whether that be the manager designing the profile of what you’re looking for or the club having their own ideas on the recruitment side of things and asking your opinion of certain players.

“That’s what I’ve done at every club, I’ve never really got involved in the decision side of it. My job is to say yes or no; that’s a player we want or that’s a player we need.

“Then it’s up to the club to decide whether we can afford to do that, whether it fits within the parameters of the business side of it.”

“It’s now at the point where we’ve had those discussions and now it’s over to the guys at the club to either get those things over the line, or they can’t,” 

“That’s not my remit. My remit is to talk about the football and the football player and what we need going forward. We’ve had good communications with that in terms of doing the deal, that’s for the club to deal with. I’m very comfortable with that.”

Who is the decision makers 

Mr C and Braithwait?

Obvious issues are firstly that it seems to be all short term thinking with little longer term planning.

Secondly somebody needs to actually manage the players as assets. Buy value, manage and control contracts and sell at the best time. 

We need a full time DOF to do all this, not some part time advisor. 

The payback from doing it properly is massive on and off the pitch. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I know people get excited by deadline day.

But it’s not ideal that every season we are leaving it to the deadline. I still think we are 4 key positions light.

Being desperate on the last day is not a great position to be in. 

• Like 8

" ... whether that be the manager designing the profile of what you’re looking for or the club having their own ideas"

That sounds disastrous to me.

Who are 'the club' in this equation? It's not as though we are brimming with football expertise at club level.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

" ... whether that be the manager designing the profile of what you’re looking for or the club having their own ideas"

That sounds disastrous to me.

Who are 'the club' in this equation? It's not as though we are brimming with football expertise at club level.

I doubt believe it for a minute. Everyone knows the manager has complete charge of transfers at this club.

That's how Carlos managed to ruin the club. At least that's what owlstalk has told me.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I doubt believe it for a minute. Everyone knows the manager has complete charge of transfers at this club.

That's how Carlos managed to ruin the club. At least that's what owlstalk has told me.

Can’t have it both ways. Can’t say Carlos was blameless for the mess we are in and then blame monk for resigning Pelupessy etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Obvious issues are firstly that it seems to be all short term thinking with little longer term planning.

Secondly somebody needs to actually manage the players as assets. Buy value, manage and control contracts and sell at the best time. 

We need a full time DOF to do all this, not some part time advisor. 

The payback from doing it properly is massive on and off the pitch. 

So why are we buying younger players with a view to their sell on value