Brentford bid for Bannan

Hes 31. Any offer we get for him is going to be a low ball one for a player of his talent. At this stage of his career he is worth more to us on the pitch than we would get for him. I say tell them to do one. 

Also we would not be able to get any sort of replacement for the price we would get - if we are offered more than 3m i'll be shocked. 

Edited by Daizan10

2 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Hes 31. Any offer we get for him is going to be a low ball one for a player of his talent. At this stage of his career he is worth more to us on the pitch than we would get for him. I say tell them to do one. 

Also we would not be able to get any sort of replacement for the price we would get - if we are offered more than 3m i'll be shocked. 

TBH I'm shocked that as much as £3m is even being mentioned.

55 minutes ago, prowl said:

Don't be surprised if DC doesn't give a  s h 1 t about what Bannan wants. He's under contract, he will only let him go if he is happy with the deal. DC doesn't bow to pressure.

If Bannan wants to force DC's hand he might find he is keeping Westwood company..

Personally I'd sell if we got the right offer but it would need to be multiples of £1M. What he's worth and his value to us are totally different things. Most of the time I'd sell him for the right offer. This season we need him or a good replacement and we don't have time to find one.

I'm not Bannans biggest fan I think he makes us one dimensional and I've seen other players step up when he's not playing. On his day he is excellent though.

No I won’t be surprised if that’s DC attitude. But if there’s money on the table for someone who wants away and can do so in less than 12 months for nothing. Even more so if Bannan is pushing for the move. 

Get a replacement lined up and try to get a decent fee out of a club that’s brought in around £60m this summer. 

59 minutes ago, vulva said:

15m+ and I’d carry him never mind start the car. 

£15m maybe pushing it admittedly but we can’t let him leave (if we decide to sell) for peanuts just because he’s in his last year. He’s worth more to us in the team than letting him go for a couple of mill.

Guest wilyfox

Rather depends what scale of interest there is. We’re likely to lose Bannan next summer for nowt, same reason as we lost Fletcher. Doubt we’d be in a position to offer him good terms.

If Brentford’s offer is sufficient for us to go and procure his successor on a long-term contract, we may be wise to listen rather than dismiss out-of-hand DC stylee. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bannan said so much himself. He said he’s be more suited to a side like Brentford. If that’s not a come and get me plea I don’t know what is.

And to be honest I don’t blame him. He deserves better than playing for a club on -8 with the tactics the manager serves up. 

Think you're doing Bannan a bit if disservice there, he even had to quantify what he meant after admiring Brentfords style of play. 

• Like 1

We have just failed FFP and been deducted points as a result, face the prospect of no gate income for another season and have a highly paid 31 year old in the final year of his contract subject to a bid.

Only the legendary Scottish manager Murdo McMad, manager of Mad Rovers FC, would turn any half sensible bid down.  Could be a lifeline for us financially .

• Like 3

Barry Bannan is our best player by a mile.

If he leaves we go from being a poor side to a very poor side.

With him at the club I think it’s touch and go whether we stay up or not, if he leaves we don’t have a prayer of staying up.

Relegation would cost us far more than any fee we might get for Bannan, we have to keep him at the club at least until the end of the season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If we needed this money to survive we're alreadyfucked...but we're not as you well know....another thinly veiled dig at DC

Not at all.

But we are sat on - points due to overspending, and like all clubs face a very uncertain future due to no crowds and Covid. Bannan is 31 and in last year of his contract.  Any rational thought process would conclude that we sell him.

• Like 2

Every player who is on on a big contract on the back of the successful period we had in the early part of DC’s reign here will be gone this time next year regardless of whether we stay up or not?

So the question is simple, do we take what’s on offer for Bannan now or do we let him go on a free at the end of the season?

Personally I’d sell him. Nothing against him, he’s been one of the best players we’ve had since we came out of the prem. I just feel Monk is not going to get the best out of him given how he sets us up. Bannan would enjoy it at Brentford. Where as we perhaps can bring in a player who will perhaps be more physically imposing and athletic and suit Monk’s no frills style of football. Not ideal but I don’t think we’ve got much choice?

• Like 2

Just now, Jim said:

So the question is simple, do we take what’s on offer for Bannan now or do we let him go on a free at the end of the season? 

Good question Jim

For me it's 100% pure football to decide this one as we have an absolutely minted chairman (it's only the EFL/FFP stopping him from spending millions and millions of pounds remember)

So  money  doesn't  come into it really

So what if Bannan goes on a free next summer?

We are so loaded it doesn't matter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop