Brentford bid for Bannan

I think I'd let him go for anything around £2-3mil. We'd also save on his wages, which must be a considerable amount particularly with the lack of income these days. It could fund the Zohore deal, or bring in Sanderson/Clark-Salter etc.

It would also give Alex Hunt the opportunity to step up (I think he's been lined-up to take his role eventually) and prove his credentials for a couple of months before the window opens again in January if he hasn't quite hit the standard required.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Bannan for me was a better player when he had engines around him the first two season with Lee and Fessi, then Hutch winning the ball, but the last few season he has been a shadow of the player he is still get the assist but last season when he was basically playing as a sweeper was a waste of so much talent. 

Monk has proven time and time again he struggles to get the best out of players and often plays them in the wrong positions blindly searching for a way to improve. When it is plain and simple change the formation and the tactics - kick and run does not work and if we persist with it, we may as well not have 3 in midfield as they will be ball watching for most of the game.

Yep agree with you, not a fan of Monks more basic tactics, but at some point he may have a change of heart and play with little more finesse.  As I say whatever tactics we use we are better with Bannan than without him.

12 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

No they won't..and any fans of a 'big..ish' club would not put up with the brentford model..they just wouldn't.

Besides that you have highlighted a very tiny portion of brentford's history...granted they ain't done bad these past few years..the vast majority and i mean almost all their history they have been 3rd or 4th tier.

Hence they have very few fans, that will continue, until their recent fantastic achievements come to an end (and they will) they will lapse back into the trend history shows.

Problem is football fans are fickle if Brentford get into the premier league then they will be filling their new stadium every week.

Then have got in £28m for Watkins look like getting another £30m for Berahma that £60m for two players that cost them £4.5m that's is amazing business in these very difficult time they are about as safe as a team can be and have pretty much paid for their new stadium.

They have brought in the a striker who has scored 40 goals in a season and a half to replace what they are losing, but they are still signing good young players to improve and marcus Forss this season is going to show just how good he is.

yes they have spent most of the history outside of the top 2 division but equally we have not been in the top division for 20+ years so which team there or ours do you think has more chance on being in the top flight in the next few season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

I think I'd let him go for anything around £2-3mil. We'd also save on his wages, which must be a considerable amount particularly with the lack of income these days. It could fund the Zohore deal, or bring in Sanderson/Clark-Salter etc.

It would also give Alex Hunt the opportunity to step up (I think he's been lined-up to take his role eventually) and prove his credentials for a couple of months before the window opens again in January if he hasn't quite hit the standard required.

I think we could afford Sanderson/clarke-salter without having to sell Bannan. I wouldn't swap Zohore for Bannan in a million years. 

I agree Hunt is a credible successor for Bannan, but too early in his development, especially with the pressure of points deduction this year. 

27 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Whilst Brentford normally go for up and coming athletic players,

That's also a bit of an Owlstalk myth right there, great scouting but they have a much more mixed approach in the last couple of seasons - and they spend some proper money.

Brentford's signings last year;

image.png.ca2a2e58ce62ee3014d48f2ee01a9c37.png

Their new ground only hols 18,000 btw which tells us a bit about their ambitions. Or they are psychic....

17 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

No they won't..and any fans of a 'big..ish' club would not put up with the brentford model..they just wouldn't.

Besides that you have highlighted a very tiny portion of brentford's history...granted they ain't done bad these past few years..the vast majority and i mean almost all their history they have been 3rd or 4th tier.

Hence they have very few fans, that will continue, until their recent fantastic achievements come to an end (and they will) they will lapse back into the trend history shows.

What a load of rubbish. History has no relevance on how well a club can do in the future. Investment, infrastructure and the right manager you can change any club around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

I'm not sure selling our best player and ending up in league 1 would count as learning from our mistakes.

We wouldn't get more than a million for Bannan and it would make relegation even more likely.

If we were not in a relegation dogfight or we were talking about big bucks for a younger player it might be a different story.

We are going to be in league one with Monk as manager anyway. 

• Haha 1