Brentford bid for Bannan

1 minute ago, shez owl said:

Cash in for me, do we just wait for him to leave for free we’ve done that before 

Its not cashing in though is it? he is Captain as well as player,monk has made him integral to how the team plays on the pitch,to interpretate and carry out his match play & tactics..

As a play maker,with us playing direct football,his loss may,may be negligible....To gamble him leaving,we have to both replace him as Captain and as player.....Only takes a couple of injury's to throw us a curved ball..............

The cost of potential relegation financially from the Championship,compared to Bannan leaving on a 'free'(if he does) is no comparison at all....

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 0114 said:

What if the player wants the move?

He’s spoken of his admiration for Brentford’s style. 

He’s 30 and will likely get a very good deal that we probably can’t offer anymore. 

It’s a chance of playing in the PL next season as opposed to possibly playing in L1. 

Don’t be shocked if Bannan wants this move. 

Don't be surprised if DC doesn't give a  s h 1 t about what Bannan wants. He's under contract, he will only let him go if he is happy with the deal. DC doesn't bow to pressure.

If Bannan wants to force DC's hand he might find he is keeping Westwood company..

Personally I'd sell if we got the right offer but it would need to be multiples of £1M. What he's worth and his value to us are totally different things. Most of the time I'd sell him for the right offer. This season we need him or a good replacement and we don't have time to find one.

I'm not Bannans biggest fan I think he makes us one dimensional and I've seen other players step up when he's not playing. On his day he is excellent though.

• Like 2

Sadly, I can see this happening if a suitable bid comes in. Whilst Brentford normally go for up and coming athletic players, Bannan would be perfect down there. They play the right football and system to get the best out of him. Their central midfield is their weak spot and he would improve them.

Bannan has got an affinity to us and the fans but if he’s offered a 3 year deal by Brentford playing the right football with a chance of promotion, he will go in my opinion. We are also a total poo show at the moment.

It would take a decent fee for us to consider selling but we need to acknowledge that he’s 30 in the last year of his contract. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But for a club the size of Brentford? They are punching well above their weight. More than their fans would expect. Play good attractive football every year. And scout some of the best talent in the League and sell on for huge profits. 

Incredibly sustainable and healthy way of running things. And when they do finally get promoted (which they will) what a position they will be in to build. 

I have my doubts that they will get promoted any time soon. Obviously their scouting networks are very good but I think there has been a degree of luck in just how many gems they have brought in.

Not sure you can rely on finding a 20 mill plus talent each year on the cheap.

Still I completely agree it's a good way to run a club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

As per title. 

Vast majority will agree that he is by far our best player. 

Would be gutted to see him go, but had a bid come in last season or beginning of this window we could have considered it (depending on price). 

If we sold him now we would have no time to make a considered effective replacement. 

Statement of fact or just Hypothesis ?

24 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We will need to replace him and to get the same quality will cost more than three million.   We have got rid of to much quality and not replaced it,  we can't afford to keep doing it.

What's Jackson Irvine up to these days a replacement who would only cost a fraction of what Bannan in on, add to that a fit Brown and we could actually have a midfield two who score a few goals too.

Bannan is a great player but we are currently by-passing midfield in Monk direct, long ball style we don't use Bannan the way he should be, as an attacking threat. So would we be better cashing in before losing him on a free in 9 months, saving on someone who must be one of the highest earner in the team and allowing us to bring in a forward with the money as it look like the chairman is pleading poverty and no signing will be coming in at all without us generating funds elsewhere.

47 minutes ago, Lump On said:

Has everyone just decided now that our best players over the last 4/5 years are now bobbins?

Westwood - Bobbins get sold

Lees -Bobbins get sold 

Bannon - Bobbins get Sold 

Reach - Bobbins get sold 

If a player as 2 good seasons and 1 bad season does that make him a good player or a bad one?

Not sure what relevance a players form 5 years ago has today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

What's Jackson Irvine up to these days a replacement who would only cost a fraction of what Bannan in on, add to that a fit Brown and we could actually have a midfield two who score a few goals too.

Bannan is a great player but we are currently by-passing midfield in Monk direct, long ball style we don't use Bannan the way he should be, as an attacking threat. So would we be better cashing in before losing him on a free in 9 months, saving on someone who must be one of the highest earner in the team and allowing us to bring in a forward with the money as it look like the chairman is pleading poverty and no signing will be coming in at all without us generating funds elsewhere.

Still think whatever tactics we use we are the better for him being there.  

Irvine seems to be kicking his heels, maybe Brentford might have a word with him.  Hopefully

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

How many times have we made the mistake of letting players contracts run out and see them walk away for nothing? If we can get a decent amount for a 30 year old who is out of contract at the end of the season we need to take the money. 

We need to start learning from our mistakes 

Key phrase in all of that is ‘decent amount’

£5m yes.. £1m no. And it would probably be towards the lower end of that

17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Incredibly sustainable and healthy way of running things. And when they do finally get promoted (which they will) what a position they will be in to build. 

No they won't..and any fans of a 'big..ish' club would not put up with the brentford model..they just wouldn't.

Besides that you have highlighted a very tiny portion of brentford's history...granted they ain't done bad these past few years..the vast majority and i mean almost all their history they have been 3rd or 4th tier.

Hence they have very few fans, that will continue, until their recent fantastic achievements come to an end (and they will) they will lapse back into the trend history shows.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Still think whatever tactics we use we are the better for him being there.  

Irvine seems to be kicking his heels, maybe Brentford might have a word with him.  Hopefully

Bannan for me was a better player when he had engines around him the first two season with Lee and Fessi, then Hutch winning the ball, but the last few season he has been a shadow of the player he is still get the assist but last season when he was basically playing as a sweeper was a waste of so much talent. 

Monk has proven time and time again he struggles to get the best out of players and often plays them in the wrong positions blindly searching for a way to improve. When it is plain and simple change the formation and the tactics - kick and run does not work and if we persist with it, we may as well not have 3 in midfield as they will be ball watching for most of the game.