Aden Flint

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The manager’s fascination with signing players who our rivals don’t want or don’t play, is totally bizarre, not least when we actually pay a fee for them. Windass, Kachunga, Paterson, all struggled for game time at clubs in and around us, but yet were signed, because they supposedly had the right attitude. Now we are linked with another player who can’t even make the bench for a poor Cardiff team, it’s like we are assembling a team for League One. 
How about signing players down to their ability? Even renowned percentage man Warnock, has moved away from these type of players, its embarrassing that we see this as the way forward

Do you not think if Monk could get Morrison in instead he would? We started the season on -12, someone starting on a team like Cardiff (who finished 5th in the league last year) isn't joining us, nor could we afford them probably.

Beat Monk with a stick if you don't like his tactics, his team selections etc., fine - but assuming he's making "bizarre" signings because he's some sort of idiot with a weird fascination is exactly as you say, bizarre.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The manager’s fascination with signing players who our rivals don’t want or don’t play, is totally bizarre, not least when we actually pay a fee for them. Windass, Kachunga, Paterson, all struggled for game time at clubs in and around us, but yet were signed, because they supposedly had the right attitude. Now we are linked with another player who can’t even make the bench for a poor Cardiff team, it’s like we are assembling a team for League One. 
How about signing players down to their ability? Even renowned percentage man Warnock, has moved away from these type of players, its embarrassing that we see this as the way forward

and yet there's loads on here lauding Westwood and saying he would be a great signing......despite not being able to get in our side for about a year

And Sheridan didnt turn out to be too bad

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Do you not think if Monk could get Morrison in instead he would? We started the season on -12, someone starting on a team like Cardiff (who finished 5th in the league last year) isn't joining us, nor could we afford them probably.

Beat Monk with a stick if you don't like his tactics, his team selections etc., fine - but assuming he's making "bizarre" signings because he's some sort of idiot with a weird fascination is exactly as you say, bizarre.

I don’t like his tactics, but his team selections go hand in hand with the players he brings in. He chose to bring in Dunkley and Windass from Wigan, when as a relegated club, we could have had the pick of the players who almost kept them up. Nobody twisted his arm to bring in Paterson, or previously, Kachunga. The signings are bizarre from the point of view, they weren’t what was needed. All have been signed amidst a chorus of “they have exactly the right attitude we are looking for” Well, as admirable as that is, having the right attitude will only get you so far. 

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

I’m really not keen on Flint. On loan at least it’d be a lesser commitment, but I’d much rather take Clarke-Salter or Sanderson.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Players fall in and out of favour. Sometimes there's a change of formation and they aren't suited to the new one so they end up on the periphery. Managers drop decent players because they don't get on. It can be that a player just needs a new challenge, he's gone stale where he is but might get a new lease of life elsewhere.

There is a lot to be said for taking other peoples cast offs if they are carefully chosen and vetted. In the past we've just signed players who used to be good despite the fact they don't fit in our system and we've paid over the odds to do so.

Ideally we sign good young prospects in future, either Premier league cast offs or up and coming lower league players. We still need the odd old head to teach them their jobs and add backbone.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

When the injuries mount up, if the -12 takes longer than expected to shift and a gap appears at the bottom. This isn’t a season to be relying on green players who might be decent in two years. We need players who still want to achieve but know how to fight to get a result in this league. 

Aden Flint strikes me as that kind of player whether you think he can pass a ball or not. I don’t care how we stop up, we just need to do it. I think many are missing the point as it’s quite clear that talented players (And their agents) will be nervous about committing the next 2/3 years to a club that may go down and get caught up in salary cap restrictions. Hence the signings of Kachunga, brown, potentially Zohore and Flint on short term deals. The ones who have been willing to join for longer ie windass and FDB should be commended for putting themselves on the line. 

You appear to be a very lonely voice of reason on here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t like his tactics, but his team selections go hand in hand with the players he brings in. He chose to bring in Dunkley and Windass from Wigan, when as a relegated club, we could have had the pick of the players who almost kept them up. Nobody twisted his arm to bring in Paterson, or previously, Kachunga. The signings are bizarre from the point of view, they weren’t what was needed. All have been signed amidst a chorus of “they have exactly the right attitude we are looking for” Well, as admirable as that is, having the right attitude will only get you so far. 

Which players from Wigan could we have had? 

We are the absolute runt of the litter this year, take the blue specs off for a minute, I'm a player who's just finished the season really strongly and my agent tells me there's Derby, Bristol, Reading and Wednesday looking at me, I'm not picking us.

If we somehow navigate our way to safety this year, through the people who did commit so clearly have the character and right attitude you mention then we are back on level terms but this year our options are the scraps.

2 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Which players from Wigan could we have had? 

We are the absolute runt of the litter this year, take the blue specs off for a minute, I'm a player who's just finished the season really strongly and my agent tells me there's Derby, Bristol, Reading and Wednesday looking at me, I'm not picking us.

If we somehow navigate our way to safety this year, through the people who did commit so clearly have the character and right attitude you mention then we are back on level terms but this year our options are the scraps.

I think the early signings of FDB and Brown prove that we can attract young talent. There was also an argument to be made for bringing in another experienced centre back, and we added Dunkley to the group. I’m in no hurry to fill the squad with “scraps” we’re only just starting to get rid of the last lot

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think the early signings of FDB and Brown prove that we can attract young talent. There was also an argument to be made for bringing in another experienced centre back, and we added Dunkley to the group. I’m in no hurry to fill the squad with “scraps”

Scraps? Players of 25-27 still have a lot of playing time and value in them. They don't become worthless overnight.

Unfortunately when you are bottom of the pile as we are by quite a stretch atm then scraps is all you get? I’m all for going down the let’s sign young talented but inexperienced players. We’ve tried the has Beens on big money and unfortunately came up just short twice. I keep saying this season is a total one off and we must stay up at all costs. When you are at the bottom you get sucked into a dogfight and every single game is a battle . We have seen countless teams go down ourselves included over the yrs where once you sucked into it it’s so hard to get out. If for one season it’s dire poo football that let’s be honest is monks forte and we do enough to finish fourth bottom I’ll take it! And if monk thinks players like flint windass etc will stand up and be counted then I’ll back him once! I’m not sure who we can attract atm and neither is anyone else we in a big shitstorm that’s gona last all season and myself like everyone else hopes we can stay up. Like someone posted earlier think agents will guide a lot of players away from us 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

What hole do you live down, !!?Maybe the  reality of our situation has totally passed you by, your in parallel universe far removed from earths realities.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think the early signings of FDB and Brown prove that we can attract young talent. There was also an argument to be made for bringing in another experienced centre back, and we added Dunkley to the group. I’m in no hurry to fill the squad with “scraps” we’re only just starting to get rid of the last lot

For what it's worth I don't believe Flint, Dunkley and co. are "scraps". They're very steady Championship players.

The word was used purely to emphasise the fact we don't have our pick of players in the way we normally would in another season, which it sounds like you're missing. FDB is a prospect but I'd bet my house a load of young unknowns with no experience like him would not keep us up this season. Anyway... we can agree to disagree my good man. WAWAW.

10 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

What hole do you live down, !!?Maybe the  reality of our situation has totally passed you by, your in parallel universe far removed from earths realities.  

Blimey, what a Luddite, there’s no getting through to you mate