Aden Flint

Just now, gurujuan said:

If we keep signing players of limited ability, no prizes for guessing where we’ll end up

If you can only spend 10 bob then limited ability is what you are going to get ......brown, windass,kuchunga paterson ,dunkley flint if we get him are all workmanlike championship players  ....what do expect us to sign with the budget restrictions we operate under ?

• Like 2

Just now, torryowl said:

If you can only spend 10 bob then limited ability is what you are going to get ......brown, windass,kuchunga paterson ,dunkley flint if we get him are all workmanlike championship players  ....what do expect us to sign with the budget restrictions we operate under ?

Same as other championship sides do, players who are comfortable on the ball. Brown is a good player, works hard, but can play. Might be a bit wasted if we continue with the percentage stuff

So many fans on here seem to have an obsession with signing players who can head a ball. It’s like it’s the number one attribute we should look for when signing a player. Never mind whether he can control a ball, as long as he can head it There are lots of ways to score a goal, and heading is just one of many. There is a reason it’s called football

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So many fans on here seem to have an obsession with signing players who can head a ball. It’s like it’s the number one attribute we should look for when signing a player. Never mind whether he can control a ball, as long as he can head it There are lots of ways to score a goal, and heading is just one of many. There is a reason it’s called football

We have only ONE or TWO fit centre back possibly for the weekend and maybe even longer. Flint is a huge brute of a centre half who is an experienced Championship campaigner and you are moaning? Go and watch some VHS videos of the Will to Win from the 90’s because you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think we can get a better leader than Flint this late on in the transfer window.

16 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

We have only ONE or TWO fit centre back possibly for the weekend and maybe even longer. Flint is a huge brute of a centre half who is an experienced Championship campaigner and you are moaning? Go and watch some VHS videos of the Will to Win from the 90’s because you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think we can get a better leader than Flint this late on in the transfer window.

It ain’t me who’s stuck in the 90s, give me strength. Akinfenwe is a huge brute of a centre forward, but it doesn’t make me want to sign him either. We have 5 senior centre backs, none younger than 25, with collectively nearly 1,400 senior games under their belts. Iorfa is due back next week, and Dunkley early next month. If we feel we need another centre back, and I don’t disagree that we do, let’s bring in somebody a bit younger, and with a bit of ability, not a lump like Flint

Edited by gurujuan

29 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

This leader has not played since the first week in February. 

We should be concentrating all our efforts on bringing two strikers in by Friday because the only one we have has been dropped by the manager after two games and we keep lumping the ball up to nobody.

Instead we are scratching around trying to find another CB because our summer recruitment resulted in us buying one who is yet to recover from the broken leg he suffered in  February.

All this talk of experience and leadership is no good if he is past his best as a player. Dean Smith was an experienced leader at the level we were at when he played for us, turned out to be one of the most uninspiring captains I have witnessed at Hillsborough. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It ain’t me who’s stuck in the 90s, give me strength. Akinfenwe is a huge brute of a centre forward, but it doesn’t make me want to sign him either. We have 5 senior centre backs, none younger than 25, with collectively nearly 1,400 senior games under their belts. Iorfa is due back next week, and Dunkley early next month. If we feel we need another centre back, and I don’t disagree that we do, let’s bring in somebody a bit younger, and with a bit of ability, not a lump like Flint

its quite clear he doesn't rate JVA and he doesn't trust borner at the moment.  Add to that Dunkley is coming back from a bad injury you can see why he wants one more.  I have no issue with this provided he strengthens attacking areas as well before the window.

12 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

That’s what they used to say about Harry Maguire and look at him now...

12 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Like that ex United player that turns out for England?

*beat me to it SoB2...

They said that about Maguire when he was 18. He was playing in the Premier League a couple of years later. Flint is a 31 year old journeyman.

7 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

its quite clear he doesn't rate JVA and he doesn't trust borner at the moment.  Add to that Dunkley is coming back from a bad injury you can see why he wants one more.  I have no issue with this provided he strengthens attacking areas as well before the window.

If he has serious doubts about those two, then sign a left sided centre back like Clarke-Salter, and use someone like Sanderson to cover the current right side injury situation Both are promising young players who have championship experience. When Iorfa and Dunkley return, Sanderson could then compete for the RWB slot. Those are the sort of signings we need, young dynamic players, the sort of players we spoke about signing, not another thirty something

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If he has serious doubts about those two, then sign a left sided centre back like Clarke-Salter, and use someone like Sanderson to cover the current right side injury situation Both are promising young players who have championship experience. When Iorfa and Dunkley return, Sanderson could then compete for the RWB slot. Those are the sort of signings we need, young dynamic players, the sort of players we spoke about signing, not another thirty something

Agreed but we do need leaders in the team.  He knows the team is still too quiet and still too mentally weak.  

The problem is we are in danger of having a team of bruisers who are great from set pieces and not much else.

Just now, new zealand owl said:

Agreed but we do need leaders in the team.  He knows the team is still too quiet and still too mentally weak.  

The problem is we are in danger of having a team of bruisers who are great from set pieces and not much else.

The leader thing is a fair point, and I was rather hoping that is why we’d signed Dunkley. With him supposedly only a matter of weeks away, it seems ridiculously over the top to sign another old, and limited player, for a season, or more, just to act as cover. Not least because, as you say, we just end up with a team of set piece bruisers, and not much else.

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

if he's not played since january how do we know he's been out of form for months .......he may have had a bad december got left out or perhaps picked up an injury  ,his replacement did well and hasnt got back in ...........westwood aint played for 10 months but evidently 2 clubs still covet him despite the poor form he showed before being left out . .......just because a blokes been left out of his present club  doesnt mean he cant do a job elsewhere. 

That is possible, it is clear in Westwood casethere has been some issue. It may be that in Flint case there is unreported issue. If an outfield player is not even making bench it says something. Looking at situation you would think he would be involved if Aiden Flint of old especially as Harris likes that tpe of player.

Think sound investigation of current abilities need to be done before we pay a lot of money to some one who can run or jump. We have history of landing players whose best has long since left them.

16 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Jumping up and down with outstretched arms and legs.  We used to do it in circuit training.  No idea why ref and lino let it go.  Where's VAR when you need it?  If the EFL had given us minus twelve points last season, it would have relegated us.  I say flip off Flint. 

Starjumps.

The manager’s fascination with signing players who our rivals don’t want or don’t play, is totally bizarre, not least when we actually pay a fee for them. Windass, Kachunga, Paterson, all struggled for game time at clubs in and around us, but yet were signed, because they supposedly had the right attitude. Now we are linked with another player who can’t even make the bench for a poor Cardiff team, it’s like we are assembling a team for League One. 
How about signing players down to their ability? Even renowned percentage man Warnock, has moved away from these type of players, its embarrassing that we see this as the way forward

• Like 1