Up there with the other late greats now.

He was also the first assistant manager known to me as I started following SWFC during the early 90s. At one point we had Richie Barker and Richard Barker around. Were they related?

2 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

He was also the first assistant manager known to me as I started following SWFC during the early 90s. At one point we had Richie Barker and Richard Barker around. Were they related?

I always thought they were father and son. But checking on wikipedia, it appears not.

Must have just been a coincidence.

Only met him once very briefly - Luton away (the 2:2 Sheridan free kick) Four of us went down on spec thinking we'd get tickets somewhere.

The older end on here will recall that at the time Luton supporters needed an ID to get tickets. We had practically given up when we saw the SWFC team bus turning into the car park, I followed it in saying to one of the security men - "Its ok,Trevor Francis is my brother!!!"

TF got off the coach and I said "Trev, can you help us we've forgotten our tickets and they won't let us in"

He said - "Richie will help you" RB comes to me and says "Forgot your tickets? of course you did lad" with a smile and a wink. Promptly gave me 4 tickets for the away end. I also remember we were sat next to Paul Carrick. (Mike & The Mechanics)

Edited by Bulldog
  • Like 6
On 12/10/2020 at 19:49, FinnishOwl said:

No. Richard was local who mysteriously became called Richie later in his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Barker_(footballer,_born_1975)