Sheffield Wednesday games on Pay Per View this season

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It was stated by another club that around 10% of their normal matchday attendance watched the games on IFollow Pay Per View so that's quite a few missing as you can imagine.

Something is putting fans off watching the games on PPV on Ifollow

Are  you watching all of them, some of them,  or none at all?

Would be  good to hear everyone's feedback

ALSO

Would you buy a season ticket to watch all of the games home and away and if so how much do you think it should cost for one?

There's a couple of problems with this, firstly is it 10% of fans measured by individuals in the household or just the number of log ins?  It's entirely possible that a family of 4 with 4 STs only use 1 log in so you're at 25% there if you just measure it by log ins.

Secondly a lot of fans don't go to football for the football, they go for the social aspect.  I've watched every game since lock down and it's just not the same.  It's not even the same as watching a regular season game on Sky when we're away.  It all feels a bit unimportant and contrived with everything else that's going on.

Thirdly you have access issues, my parents didn't have a clue how to get it other than on their laptop and they didn't want to sit around that watching it so just gave up.  When lockdown eased I set them up with a way of watching it on their main TV so now they're logging on for the odd game.

For a lot of people though I'd say that for a lot of fans of teams outside the EPL football isn't something on TV, it's you, your family, your mates in the ground, watching the average players, shouting at the ref, calling the manager a muppet, singing songs. My wife doesn't bother watching when I put our games on, yet she begs for tickets to Blackburn away.  For her it's not about the 22 on the pitch, it's the 20,000 in the stands.  She'll openly tell you she's not a football fan, she's a Wednesday fan and I think that rings true for a lot of people.

• Like 3

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

There's a couple of problems with this, firstly is it 10% of fans measured by individuals in the household or just the number of log ins?  It's entirely possible that a family of 4 with 4 STs only use 1 log in so you're at 25% there if you just measure it by log ins.

Secondly a lot of fans don't go to football for the football, they go for the social aspect.  I've watched every game since lock down and it's just not the same.  It's not even the same as watching a regular season game on Sky when we're away.  It all feels a bit unimportant and contrived with everything else that's going on.

Thirdly you have access issues, my parents didn't have a clue how to get it other than on their laptop and they didn't want to sit around that watching it so just gave up.  When lockdown eased I set them up with a way of watching it on their main TV so now they're logging on for the odd game.

For a lot of people though I'd say that for a lot of fans of teams outside the EPL football isn't something on TV, it's you, your family, your mates in the ground, watching the average players, shouting at the ref, calling the manager a muppet, singing songs. My wife doesn't bother watching when I put our games on, yet she begs for tickets to Blackburn away.  For her it's not about the 22 on the pitch, it's the 20,000 in the stands.  She'll openly tell you she's not a football fan, she's a Wednesday fan and I think that rings true for a lot of people.

That's a really great point

I'd go a step further and say the further down the leagues you (including down to non-league football and then Sunday Leagues) go the more what you just said is the case too

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I have watched every game this season. The standard on ifollow has improved considerably along with reliabilityhavehad no issues this seasonexcept in first game when no commentary was provided first half. The away games use BBC radio Sheffield commentary so you get Brian Laws and for home games you have Pearson and O'Neil. The fans are obviously a miss and atmosphere is not going to be same. However you can here the coaches shouting instructions at the players and found it interesting listening to Andrew Hughes bellowing at players. They now put highlights of first half on at half time. Agree more could be done with pre and after game interviews with manager.

For those who live a fair distance away from Hillborough think £10 viewing is good option. I have season ticket but live 3.5 hours travel away. Not having to sit in a car for a lengthy period does help and on horrible days the option is worthwhile.

Forthose who travel to away games (and we have quite a few) think option of viewing by ifollow is really good. The club get virtually no funds from away games in normal situation howevere we keep 100% of revenue for everyone who watches on ifollow. As pointed out before club recieves no money from watching games by other means.

There is a good case for an ifollow away season ticket which would avoid having to pay for each game.

If you want a club in your area it needs your support and if you can afford to watch games using  ifollow think this should be done. Circumvent paying to watch games will just lead to demise of clubs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As like a few others.  Have watched one game but listened to the audio for the rest.

I certainly won’t be paying £10/game to watch them all. That’s more than my senior season ticket costs in the North Stand.

Will continue to watch the odd game, probably to have a look at new players, but listen to the commentary for the rest. 
It’s just not the same watching on a tablet or lap top.

• Like 1

Me and my son watch every game on ifollow if it's not on Sky, and we will carry on with this until we're allowed back in to grounds.

£10/game seems reasonable to me, especially as I live 150 miles away so it is a massive saving versus the cost of fuel and a match ticket. Having said that, I really miss going to Hillsborough and would much rather be there than watching on TV. There's nothing better than the full match experience.

Ifollow is ok, it could be better with things like not lingering on a coach or player for 30 seconds while play is going on, showing replays while the game carries on and the general camera work can be iffy at times. Also, as others have said, the atmosphere is very sterile but it's good to pick up the fruity language and hear the instructions and also the tackles. Personally, I love it when big John is on, Brian laws, not so much 😀

I would buy an ifollow season ticket for away games (definitely not for home games for me), as I can't get to all of them even with a fair number of points. I'd pay say £150 for the 23 away games even though I would still go to all the ones I could.

Just stream it for nothing via chromecast to my TV

Half of the time it's ifollow been streamed anyway

Edited by Sticky Micky

I've watched them all. It's fine.

Obviously it's not the same, but then again, it's never been the same since they banned standing at games anyway.

It is what it is, and I still prefer it to not watching the game at all (although I turn the commentaries off for the away games as Laws, loved him though I did when he was our manager, I struggle to listen to him for any length of time).

22 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I've paid £10 for every game.  I think the quality is fine and I've had literally no problem with it.

Performances have been average at best so it's not been a great watch.

Defiantly going to think of another way to watch them though cos £10 a week is not good though.

IPTV is the way to go mate. If your computer savvy you can buy a device to run it and a year subscription for about £100, or plenty on facefuckers sell them. 

On 11/10/2020 at 19:17, archieswfc said:

It rubbish. I got it last season instead of a refund and it barely worked. Customer service was useless and add to this you can't cast it to the telly. If it was any good I'd happily pay, but it's not. Simple. 

you can put it through your telly with a HDMI cable from your laptop to the telly

1 minute ago, the third man said:

Because i have matches on TV in the past, as a one off every so often, great, cant bring myself to do it for a full season and never seeing it live

So you don't like football on TV period that's a good reason, I have no problem with that.